HH-3/CH-3 Jolly Green Giant dimensions?

bootneck

I am trying to find out the fuselage width, not including the sponsons, of this helo.  I believe the JGG has the same heritage as the Sea King and I have models of each but the fuselage widths are different on each one.  Can anyone please advise me of the definitive width of the fuselage only?  I have been able to Google all the other dimensions except this one.

cheers

Mike

I'd never heard of different widths before. From the MRGB forwards everything looks the same as the S-61L/N series including the plug and double curvature of the roof where it flares up to match the cockpit bulkhead shape from under the engine intakes. That excludes cabin windows doors and the nosewheel obviously. Width wise the cockpit looks the same, same glazings etc and the fuselage sides are parallel back from the cockpit as per the S-61L/N.

HH-3F_Pelican_Search_and_Rescue_helicopt

I'll look amongst what I have though...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

If your JGG is the Revell ex Aurora kit, it's not 1/72, which might explain the discrepancies.

No, different scale.  The Sea King is by Sweet and the JJG is a Shapeways.

55 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I'd never heard of different widths before. From the MRGB forwards everything looks the same as the S-61L/N series including the plug and double curvature of the roof where it flares up to match the cockpit bulkhead shape from under the engine intakes. That excludes cabin windows doors and the nosewheel obviously. Width wise the cockpit looks the same, same glazings etc and the fuselage sides are parallel back from the cockpit as per the S-61L/N.

Thanks, I just need to know what the width of the actual aircraft is, either imperial or metric please.  Once I have that info then I can determine which model needs correcting.

Mike

Thanks TT,  I now have something to work with.  :clap2:

Mike

Edit:  I have just measured the two kits and the Sweet's Sea King is correct at 15mm.  The 3D printed JGG is 16.6mm which equates to 7.9ft (95 inches)

7 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

If your JGG is the Revell ex Aurora kit, it's not 1/72, which might explain the discrepancies.

I have both the Aurora and Revell HH-3s and they are not the same kit.  The Revell has lots of rivets ad the parts breakdown is different.  Not sure which is the most accurate though

George

• Like 1

Revell and Aurora are 2 different kits; Revell has rivets, while Aurora is smooth.  I have several Aurora kits and had the same question, whether it could be upgraded with later Seaking interiors, either Fujimi, Revell, or new Airfix; and their accompanying etched as well.

Thanks for asking, Watching the replies.

Hi Rick,

I have the answer to my query, thanks to Tailspin Turtle and Jamie, so I'm happy for this thread to open for all references on the JGG.  If anyone else can provide additional info, on the actual aircraft or any kits then it would be welcome here.

Mike

15 hours ago, Rick Tsujimura said:

I also found this online:

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Sikorsky-HH-3E-Jolly-Green-Giant-American-Heavy-Cargo-Helicopter.html

which looks like a clone of aurora kit.

BTW searching I came across this article on this website:

This is NOT the Revell HH-3 kit. I have one at home - and it is far better than this sp. in the transparencies department :)

Cheers, Moggy

RE - https://www.super-hobby.com/products/Sikorsky-HH-3E-Jolly-Green-Giant-American-Heavy-Cargo-Helicopter.html

which looks like a clone of aurora kit.

It is the old Aurora kit parts but whether it is actually their moulds or those used for the same kit by Starfix is perhaps another matter.

In the past I have had the Revell , Aurora and Starfix kits and found that the Aurora parts were sharper than those from Starfix but the Revell kit actually looked better despite its rivets.     Main differences as I recall are that the Revell kit has better drop tanks on the mainwheel sponsons, one piece cockpit canopy and a pose-able rear ramp if you are into that but the Aurora/Starfix kit provides a cargo lifting frame under the fuselage as well as some of the cockpit canopy framing moulded into the fuselage halves. 

There is another CH/HH-3 in 1/72 in the form of a Snap Together kit by Lindberg , never seen the parts but some of its several releases have had the completed model as box-art and the cockpit area looks more like that of a Super Frelon.

On 7/31/2018 at 7:50 AM, bootneck said:

No, different scale.  The Sea King is by Sweet and the JJG is a Shapeways.

Thanks, I just need to know what the width of the actual aircraft is, either imperial or metric please.  Once I have that info then I can determine which model needs correcting.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Is the Jolly Green Giant on Shapeways 1/144 scale? I looked, but only see one in 1/700 nanoscale.

Thanks,

Ben 

On 7/31/2018 at 7:24 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

The Sikorsky S-61N engineering course manual contains a GA of the N model with a stated external fuselage width of 7'1", or 85".

Sikorsky 1963 Product brochure shows this as standard across the whole Sea King related family , available on line at   -  https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Historical-Library/Sikorsky/Current-Production-Models   -  quite a few older information brochures and the like from various manufacturers on Box Art Den , keep on forgetting that it is there.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2018 at 10:01 AM, bootneck said:

Hi Ben,

yes, it is 1:144 scale and is catalogued under 'miniatures'.  Note that you can't buy everything as a single kit, they have to be selected individually, here is the link

Here is a link to the instruction sheet

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks! I see it, now. It might be worth ~$50US to avoid kitbashing a couple of Sweet Sea Kings. At the very least, I may order the tanks and parts fret, so I don't have to scratchbuild those details.

Ben

Hi Ben,

yes, it is a bit of a hike for a 1:144 kit and I've only been able to afford the fuselage halves and internal deck for now.  I'll see how the funds are next month before ordering more parts.

cheers

Mike

It's not good economy as the postage is nearly fiver each time, however I couldn't to buy the whole kit outright.  Also, If I saved for it, then by the time I had enough funds, I would be looking at something else to get for that money! :banghead:

• 1 year later...

Bootneck, I hate to say it, but Riverman's HH-3 (and not only this his model) is a very loose representation of a real thing. There is no part without  significant shape, proportion or size discrepancy and it is overscaled generally.