Red Bird (1/72 Academy IL-2 single-seater)

1 minute ago, Andwil said:

So if MiGs are migs and Ilyushins are ills, does it follow that Sukhois are “sues” and Tupolevs are “twos”?

AW

Yes. I pointed out to my coworker that this lead to the absurdity of the Tu-Two, but she replied, in a voice dripping with contempt, that you don't say "two" for the number in Russian. 

• Haha 9

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

Lord Tebbit would be hugely disappointed in me to discover I don't even have a bike.

The use of public transportation would render you beyond the pale in his eyes and those of his ilk...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Procopius said:

Yes. I pointed out to my coworker that this lead to the absurdity of the Tu-Two, but she replied, in a voice dripping with contempt, that you don't say "two" for the number in Russian. 

Indeed. It's the 'Too-Dvah' in Russian. Another Soviet aircraft I wrote a little book about.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I have always been partial to 'Sturmovik'...kind of says it all...😁

In English, it should be 'Shturmovik'. The confusion about whether to use 'S' or 'Sh' comes about from the fact that in some Slavic languages that use the Latin alphabet, such as Czech and Polish, only the 'S' is used, with a mark over the 'S' to indicate the 'Sh' sound. The Cyrillic letter used in Russian is the 'Sha', so it should always be 'Shturmovik' in English. Language lesson over...

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 3

Looks super in the plain green over blue! The lack of markings and stencils is a blessing these days. I am of the firm opinion that more than ten decals per kit is too many, unless it has a really fancy colour scheme - my current Old Airfix B-25 build has just six decals in its build option, which almost makes up for the horrors in the rest of the build...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4

On 12/08/2018 at 04:47, Procopius said:

Soviet aircraft in WWII didn't have upper wing markings, which was a poor choice on their part, because they look cool as hell,

Many/most lend-lease types had upper wing markings, as they were painted on before delivery by the British and Americans.

If you look at images of Hurricane's and Spitfire's they have upper wing stars.

Spitfire_002_IWM%20E23983.jpg

http://lend-lease.airforce.ru/english/articles/spit/index.htm

Note these are at Abadan in Iran before delivery, and the RAF markings were painted out with British paint, and red stars applied,  wrongly by VVS practice.

Many profiles show markings painted out with VVS paint....

Cheers

T

• Like 2

Done.

43992576752_eb3f1b52bb_h.jpg20180814_211052 by Edward IX, on Flickr

30173192428_0331648243_h.jpg20180814_211122 by Edward IX, on Flickr

30173192388_693e128150_h.jpg20180814_211109 by Edward IX, on Flickr

This may be the last we ever see of this kit intact, as I will attempt to deliver it to my coworker tomorrow at the office. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

On 12/8/2018 at 04:48, Stew Dapple said:

Nice work Edward. Uncle Joe looks pleased B)

Which made me search up this photo...

Stalin00.jpeg?itok=70t16JZg

As @Learstang mentioned Sex Pistols earlier I feel I should mention that the notorious (in Japan) punk band The Stalin

"The name is very hated in Japan" (look up the August 1945 Soviet attack on Japan,)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stalin

I have been very amused by their 

cove of No Fun..

I'd rate the 2nd LP,  Stop Jap as their best.

@Procopius  I suspect you might find the film Burst City of some minor amusement

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burst_City

I never did round to getting the DVD, I have bits of The Stalin footage,  

Sorry for the digression.... All from the pic of Uncle Joe in the build...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Andwil said:

So if MiGs are migs and Ilyushins are ills, does it follow that Sukhois are “sues” and Tupolevs are “twos”?

AW

As neither Sukhoi nor Tupolev aircraft appeared in the Airfix catalogue me and my 10-year old Airfixing buddies never had to consider that logic, back in the day...

Very nice model of a "sensible" aircraft, as in sensible shoes.

Cheers 

Will

Edited by malpaso
Manners
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Lovely job Edward B) 

It's not a beautiful aircraft, more a workmanlike one, but you've made a beautiful job of it,

Cheers,

Stew

Maybe its the shape of the canopy but it looks like a monstrous crop duster to me.

Terrific model.

AW

The kit has safely made the journey to the offices of a large Bar Association.

42240588590_9b23d44b59_k.jpg2018-08-15_08-28-17 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Some build notes:

Everything fits together well on a test fit, but less well in practice. Jason calls the wing-fuselage-wing join "tricky" in his book, and I can't disagree with that assessment. 

The landing gear sponsons will need a lot of cleaning up. 

Many engineering choices are inexplicable: exhaust stubs and tailwheel needing to be added when the fuselage is closed up, guns needing to be added when the wings are put on, and for the landing gear, it has been engineered to work for either skis or wheels, and if you do the latter, you need to cut out part of the axle, which runs the very real risk of breaking the the gear leg. The gear is also more or less butt-joined (an H-shaped part goes onto and around a smaller H-shaped part) inelegantly to a structural element in the gear sponson, and the rear armatures of the gear are simply too long to go where the instructions would have you put them, a flaw also noted in the IPMS review of the kit, a rare model kit review where they actually built the damn thing. My guess is that the kit was designed prior to airbrushes becoming so common in our hobby, as many of the design choices might seem less terrible if you brushpaint. 

The clear parts fit excellently, but the tops of mine fogged up a bit -- I didn't coat them in Future, more fool me. 

Jason's book covers a few other issues with the kit that I didn't correct or dwell upon, like the weird way panel lines are done on the tailfins, or the incorrect colour scheme information in the kit. In general the book is an excellent reference for the modeller about to build an Il-2, unsurprising as it was written by a modeller. The kit survey at the back and the sections on colours and finish are in particular quite useful.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Andwil said:

Maybe its the shape of the canopy but it looks like a monstrous crop duster to me.

Terrific model.

AW

The canopy reminds me a great deal of the PL-12 Air-Truk.

Airtruk-taking-off.jpg

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Andwil said:

Terrific model.

AW

It was a type of crop duster, but the crops it was 'dusting' were German soldiers. Beautiful job on the Eel-Dvah, PC! Roger Newsome mentioned that he would be happy if his turns out half as well; I rather suspect that mine WILL turn out half as well. Thank you for the kind words regarding my humble book; I do hope it was of some help. I've been looking at the book as I ponder what to do next on my unbuilt, semi-built, and nearly-built Il-2s; there's quite a bit of helpful information in that book - who knew?!

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don't sell yourselves short, gentlemen, there's plenty of room for improvement in my build, and I'm confident anyone can do at least as well as I did if they have access to an airbrush and some sanding sticks. 

• Like 4