Red Bird (1/72 Academy IL-2 single-seater)

I picked up my children and Mrs P from the airport today, and a hectic day of temper tantrums, ice cream, attempted murder of a sibling, and lawnmowing ensued. The attempted murder was when Winston fed his brother a piece of sellotape, which he promptly began asphyxiating on, while our backs were turned. No harm done, except possibly to Winston's psyche as his mother had a good old yell at him until she felt a little better about things.

Amazingly I managed to make it down into the grotto twice today, once while everyone else was napping, and latterly when The Weebs was being put to bed.

First off, I masked off the exhaust stubs and resprayed them:

42174250880_fa483a947d_h.jpg20180811_133757 by Edward IX, on Flickr

43264690174_bf05817597_h.jpg20180811_133801 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I'm happy to report this worked perfectly. 

I also glosscoated the aircraft this evening:

43986885281_6074e58671_h.jpg20180811_193236 by Edward IX, on Flickr

And did some work on the wheels (the hubcaps are separate and already painted):

43986885291_15fcbf7ca9_h.jpg20180811_201956 by Edward IX, on Flickr

What colour were Soviet bombs? The kit has two 250kg(? maybe?) bombs and a plethora of small munitions on rails which I assume are large novelty fireworks such as I might buy in the neighboring state of Indiana.

• Like 9

Oh FINE. I put the uppersurface decals on, all four of 'em.

29050707247_50760eefab_h.jpg2018-08-11_10-43-15 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Soviet aircraft in WWII didn't have upper wing markings, which was a poor choice on their part, because they look cool as hell, so it's just a tailfin red star and two fuselage red stars, one of which incorporates the patriotic slogan. Just the underside red stars to do and then that's it for decals; the kit includes no stencils, so I couldn't add 'em even if I wanted to.

• Like 13

Nice work Edward. Uncle Joe looks pleased B)

Re: the bombs, see here. I can't find anything more up-to-date than this

Cheers,

Stew.

Edit: the rockets should be silver with a dark green nose section for early war or black for later in the war, IIRC :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

She looks very nice with the transfers on, PC! Good save on the exhausts (as luck would have it, I've decided to paint another version for my two-seater than originally intended, which renders my pre-painting of the area around the exhausts no longer accurate). Regarding the bombs, I normally go with black or a medium grey, but they could apparently also be blue. I don't go with blue as I like the contrast between the black or grey bombs and the blue undersides. For my RS-82 rockets I go with mainly silver (aluminium) with a black nose, but dark green was also used on the rockets. The arming vane on the nose (if present) for both the bombs and rockets I paint silver (aluminium) as these were natural metal. You're down the home stretch now! I agree with Stew, the Vozhd does look pleased.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Procopius said:

I picked up my children and Mrs P from the airport today, and a hectic day of temper tantrums, ice cream, attempted murder of a sibling, and lawnmowing ensued. The attempted murder was when Winston fed his brother a piece of sellotape, which he promptly began asphyxiating on, while our backs were turned. No harm done, except possibly to Winston's psyche as his mother had a good old yell at him until she felt a little better about things.

Amazingly I managed to make it down into the grotto twice today, once while everyone else was napping, and latterly when The Weebs was being put to bed.

First off, I masked off the exhaust stubs and resprayed them:

r

-I really like your slice of life, that drive me back to the years for long gone away ......

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Re: the bombs, see here. I can't find anything more up-to-date than this

Edit: the rockets should be silver with a dark green nose section for early war or black for later in the war, IIRC :) 

What Stew said!

There are a variety of other articles on VVS ordnance including the rockets and some heavy stuff that makes interesting reading at the same site.

Index here.

Having wasted many, many hours playing Il-2 Sturmovik by 1C/Maddox Games back in the early 00's I was always amazed with the variety of stuff they would hang under the wings of these wee beasties. Everything but the kitchen sink it would seem. There appears to have been a real pyromaniac bent to VVS GPW ordnance back then too...

Lovely progress, crack on! You'll be bombing the robbers of happiness very soon! Ura!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

It's looking great. I think this will be the kit I'm going to take back to work in four weeks as my next "at sea project".

Roger.

@Learstang Along with Red Avenger. 😉🙂

Does that mean you have the book? If so, good on you! If not, stop what you're doing and immediately order it or buy it from the book store of your choice, now!

Best Regards,

Jason

13 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Does that mean you have the book? If so, good on you! If not, stop what you're doing and immediately order it or buy it from the book store of your choice, now!

Best Regards,

Jason

Yes, I have it Jason and although @Procopius has had one or two issues with the kit I am finding it very difficult not to postpone my other stuff and get on with my Academy Il-2. 

Although if I wait till I'm back at sea in four weeks I'll have a better idea of what to do and also have plenty of time to get some paints together. 

Roger.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Gazontipede said:

Having wasted many, many hours playing Il-2 Sturmovik by 1C/Maddox Games back in the early 00's I was always amazed with the variety of stuff they would hang under the wings of these wee beasties. Everything but the kitchen sink it would seem. There appears to have been a real pyromaniac bent to VVS GPW ordnance back then too...

I used to play online with three of my friends before I had kids. Truly a wonderful game, and I hope I get a chance to play Il-2 Bodenplatte.

10 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

Although if I wait till I'm back at sea in four weeks I'll have a better idea of what to do and also have plenty of time to get some paints together. 

I choose to imagine you lashed to the mast, foaming seawater cascading over the deck, pipe clenched betwixt your teeth, one hand on the tiller and the other carefully applying a decal.

Another long day with the family, with Winston at his best and worst today. He "helped" me clean Madeleine's cage, observing that she was "kinda prickly" after learning the hard way, then followed her around shouting "EYOW [hello] EDGEGOG",  before finally working up courage equal to desire and petting her soft flanks.

30136868628_d6952d1618_k.jpg2018-08-12_09-08-16 by Edward IX, on Flickr

All decals are now on the Il-2.

42196298400_9a287b7879_h.jpg20180812_201803 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I also spent an hour and some change faffing about with the many weathering products I own but don't really understand at all, and can't really see much of a difference. 

42196298210_a83f64cd7f_h.jpg20180812_204457 by Edward IX, on Flickr

It's not helped by how glossy the model is right now, but a dull coat is coming soon.

I also added the bomb cradles and rocket rails (but in retrospect ought to have painted what I presume are arming wires leading into the wings for the latter, oh well). It's early yet, and Mrs P has retired to bed, so I may toddle back down in search of a suitable colour for Soviet bombs. I'm tickled pink, pink! by the fact that they just painted straight over all the stencils. 

• Like 10

You've made exceptionally quick progress on this one mate, having a couple of weeks without the weans around is clearly good for your modelling mojo. 

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

I'm tickled pink, pink! by the fact that they just painted straight over all the stencils

Agreed, most considerate of the VVS to consider the eyesight and sanity of future modellers :) 

She's looking really nice and I am finding myself qute tempted by this kit; luckily for me it doesn't seem to be easily available over here...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Very nice PC - I can see the subtle panel lines and some variation so worth the effort :) 

Nice picture of Winnie and Madeleine - do you think he'll take on cage cleaning in the future? 

Lovely little child, hedgehog, and Shturmovik, PC! The Il-2s at the start of the Great Patriotic War were brand-new, so no need to go overboard with anything like paint-chipping, but the panel lines look good.

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

Marathon session tonight in an effort to get this done before the end of the week. Next I have to figure out how to safely transport this on a crowded train for an hour, plus another mile on foot to my office without it getting wrecked, 

Rockets or whatever painted:

42214711250_1e4830227f_h.jpg20180813_213653 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Control rods painted and added:

43117783635_25f3c6ba57_h.jpg20180813_213643 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Almost there...

43975239472_06f0576ec7_h.jpg20180813_213637 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Guns added, why not?

43117782625_48654ae473_h.jpg20180813_214938 by Edward IX, on Flickr

They aren't actually canted out, it's a trick of the lens. 

Next: landing gear, dullcoat, affix stores, off to the races.

• Like 11

Hey, that's some great work PC! The Il-2 is definitely iconic and you've captured it perfectly.

Glad the fam is still giving you all kinds of heck, that's their job. Winston is a lucky guy, a hedgehog to pet, and that library to look forward to.

• Like 2

Nice work Edward, she's a beauty; your colleague cannot fail to be impressed by that B)

I have transported models by train (only a twenty-odd minute journey to Perth from Dundee, but involving a thirty-minute walk before the train and about fifteen-minutes after it) to get some models to the Scottish Nationals using only bubble-wrap, a plastic Tupperware-type container, and a small hold-all... as long as there's enough bubble-wrap to loosely enfold the kit and enough to stop it moving and you can avoid drop-kicking the bag at any point you should be fine, even taking into account the potential rowdiness of Chicagoan commuters compared to Scots :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see how good the metal fuselage, all-green single-seater looks, PC! I do like the silver propeller blades. I will get mine finished, Oh Yes, I Will...

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

I have cycled 20-odd miles to a show with two 1/72 Spitfires to display in my backpack, packed up similarly to Stew.  Also carrying some decency clothing as well.  The return journey was enhanced by three additional Spits but in the form of further kits.

The displayed Spits survived their excursion without trouble, and the bike enjoyed being parked in a World War One hangar with historic aircraft!

Il-2 looks great.

Cheers

Will

PS to return to earlier discussion we always referred to the plane as an ill-two in discussing Airfixing as kids in 70s...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, malpaso said:

I have cycled 20-odd miles to a show with two 1/72 Spitfires to display in my backpack, packed up similarly to Stew.  Also carrying some decency clothing as well.  The return journey was enhanced by three additional Spits but in the form of further kits.

The displayed Spits survived their excursion without trouble, and the bike enjoyed being parked in a World War One hangar with historic aircraft!

Il-2 looks great.

Cheers

Will

PS to return to earlier discussion we always referred to the plane as an ill-two in discussing Airfixing as kids in 70s...

There you go Edward, the gauntlet thrown down. On yer bike mate. :D

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

There you go Edward, the gauntlet thrown down. On yer bike mate. :D

Steve.

Lord Tebbit would be hugely disappointed in me to discover I don't even have a bike.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, malpaso said:

So if MiGs are migs and Ilyushins are ills, does it follow that Sukhois are “sues” and Tupolevs are “twos”?

AW