Trumpeter T-34/85 183 factory, work in process.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I notice that you've used red oxide primer, although most of it seems to be covered up.  I didn't think that Russian tanks of the WW2 era were primed.  An unnecessary time and cost for a disposable asset: an estimated 80% of war-production T-34s were lost.  4BO Protection Green paint in any case contained 15-20% Zinc Chromate, itself a primer element.  I believe this was deliberate and not just a colour pigment as it didn't add to the colour mix appreciably: 4BO was mostly composed of Yellow Ochre with almost as much Prussian Blue as Zinc Chromate plus a bit of white.  The name is also a clue: Protection Green is an odd name for an ordinary paint, and no other wartime paint colours used "protection" in their names.

I admire your masking skills (and patience!) on the radio front plate.

2 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

I notice that you've used red oxide primer, although most of it seems to be covered up.  I didn't think that Russian tanks of the WW2 era were primed.  An unnecessary time and cost for a disposable asset: an estimated 80% of war-production T-34s were lost.  4BO Protection Green paint in any case contained 15-20% Zinc Chromate, itself a primer element.  I believe this was deliberate and not just a colour pigment as it didn't add to the colour mix appreciably: 4BO was mostly composed of Yellow Ochre with almost as much Prussian Blue as Zinc Chromate plus a bit of white.  The name is also a clue: Protection Green is an odd name for an ordinary paint, and no other wartime paint colours used "protection" in their names.

I admire your masking skills (and patience!) on the radio front plate.

Thank you for tell me that. I use bing search engine find a lot of T-34's pics, and download some books and blueprints about T-34. The dark red color is not primer, but the color of the turret ring. I think because the harsh condition, the primer was not used in wartime production tank as you said. But in the after war production tank and some restoring vehicles, the dark redprimer was used.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...