Vampire T.11 1/72 Airfix

Hello,

I'd like to share this model recently re-released by Airfix in new striking colors.

It was built OOB for my 8 years old nephew in 4 full days. He has patiently followed the whole process taking active part in it.

The only addictions were the little antennae above each tail boom.

I'm a fan of Airfix whose new kits are nice and sweet and really cheap! A joy to build!

Hope You enjoy it!

x2on8AC.jpg

B1oslSh.jpg

azKeuKO.jpg

50MN0Ks.jpg

3Cl5SZa.jpg

ECRIPQm.jpg

Io4Gi2l.jpg

eJFqV6r.jpg

Giovanni (uncle) and Francesco (nephew)

Edited by GiovanniG
  • Like 55
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

Very nice.  Any problems with the transfers - or tips on how to overcome them?

First thank you all for kind messages.

The decals proved to work very well with standard setting solutions and decal softer.

The wing decal is a single piece for both upper and lower wing and is quite tricky. I suggest here not to use setting solution but just water until you get the right alignment.

Pay attention also to lower wing serials. Here also use water and later the setting solution otherwise there's a serious risk of bending the decal.

In general the decal sheet is of great quality and impressive for the numbers of little stencils it contains.

Hope this helps.

Bye

Giovanni

• Thanks 1

That's a stunning looking rendition of this attractive aircraft.  A beautiful paint finish and its very encouraging to hear that the decals went in relatively easily. The similar Jet Provost kit decals are, by all accounts, a bit of a nightmare (I'm going to circumvent this problem by going for the older, painted day-glo scheme).  Really good news to hear your young nephew is interested in the hobby. 

• 2 weeks later...

What a beautiful job you've made of this. I remember seeing this actual Vampire at RAF Little Rissington between 1968-71 and it was the original founder aircraft of the "Vintage Pair" display team until replaced by XH304.

• 1 year later...

Beautiful Vampire. Excellent paint work on the metallic finish. Are the orange markings painted or decalled?

20 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Beautiful Vampire. Excellent paint work on the metallic finish. Are the orange markings painted or decalled?

As we were both at CFS at roughly the same time, I have just spoken to Ray Deacon to confirm markings on the Vampire: 

"Vampire XK624 had red Scotchal tape stripes. The true VP T.11 XH304 had deep yellow training bands which were definitely not day-glo red or orange."

• Like 1