mój polski MiG-21 - My Polish MiG-21

Hello everyone thought id put this up as a placeholder. If I get done with my Deuce in a reasonable timeframe i will add this to the Group build.  I have a Bilek 1/72 MiG-21 in my stash.

6TzJ8ya.jpg

Ive been wanting to do all the early MiG jets (15-21) in Polish markings. The kit has the Markings of a Polish Fishbed “D” from 1967. Ive never heard of Bilek but the kit looks very good with nicely scribed lines. Anyone have experience with Bilek? Anything i need to know ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 6

Bilek kits are notoriously a little rough, but also generally pretty accurate when it comes to MiGs. I'm looking forward to seeing how this one goes.

• Thanks 1

Hello everybody so I got some preliminary painting and assembly knocked out on the MiG.

RbLPu3R.jpg

I think the blue/green i mixed up is a bit to blue but since the canopy is 1/4 by 1/2 inch you wont be seeing much of it anyway. I also assembled the burner can and the nose cone but those need paint yet. Im painting the KM-1 ejection seat currently, more later tonight. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Sorry I never posted last nights updates. I was able to add seatbelts to the painted bang seat.

41dH6Gg.jpg

I then glued the office and landing gear bays into the fuselage.

3V2C6iG.jpg

I also painted the I.P. And will be gluing that in shortly. 

SU8LQ1u.jpg

Its not perfect but through a closed canopy thats 1/4” x 1/2” long again you wont see much. Its more for effect than accuracy. 

Dennis

• Like 1

You certainly are making swift progress with this one commrade. Here you have the fuselage together while I'm still poking tiny bits of plastic around the bench in an attempt to dress up an already perfectly acceptable seat :lol: 

• Haha 1

Hello everybody ... Well this is flying together a lot faster than i imagined. I have a rough sand and some surfacer on the fuselage now. I figured the next step was the wings which are now on. 

Zlf0DmX.jpg

They naturally glued into the slight Anhedral required by the instructions. There was a slight gap on either side which i filled with plastic strip. I will give it a couple layers of surfacer before sanding. I have to admit im really enjoying my first MiG-21. Yes there will be more as well as the earlier MiG’s the (15,17,19). There will be more later tonight. 

Dennis

• Like 3

Sorry folks not much has been posted for the last few days. I am still working on my MiG. My filler of choice went bad so thats delayed the sanding, polishing, and the dreaded R word. Not really interesting visually so no photo’s. 

Dennis 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I see many similarities between your -21 and my -19, tovarishch...the alarming gaps at the different wing roots is what catches my eye.  Massive gaps.

Yours is looking very smart...

Da Tovarishch ... Such magnificent eastern built equipment. Nothing short of copious amounts of filler and sweat cant fix. Together we shall conquer our aircraft ! Only then can we conquer the capitalist pigs to the west ! 😉

Comrade Dennis

• Haha 2

I know!  Despite their deadly qualities they do have the aspect of flying industrial washing machines.  Compared to the sleek Western Italian, British and French designs...

At least yours is a-21...somewhat modern.  The -19 is kind of like a locomotive with wings...

• Haha 2