Summer in Cornwall

Evalman

Unfortunately no shows for me this summer, Grandchild minding duties at weekends has kept us busy doing other things. 

So here's a selection of photos from Cornwall so far this summer, mainly from Newquay where I volunteer one day a week at Cornwall Aviation Heritage Centre.  The other images were taken around Bodmin Moor.

If you are considering visiting CAHC it is worthwhile packing your scanner and camera (as I always do), as you can see you never know what may turn up. 

Edited by Evalman
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Lovely mix of types there. Great pics too. Like the "Sentinel" lookie likey in unpainted finish destined for a middle east nation going by the flag on the fin. 

Spot the difference quiz: All I can see is the hump on top of the fin in the lower two pics of the Beech type. 

• Like 1

I can recommend the CAHC for kids. Great to let them play on and in planes and it really gets them interested in aviation. Lovely museum, well done

Andy

5 hours ago, Red Dot said:

I can recommend the CAHC for kids. Great to let them play on and in planes and it really gets them interested in aviation. Lovely museum, well done

Andy

I can recommend CAHC, especially for the BIG* kids! Where else are you activly encouraged to enter AND sit in the exhibits?

Last visit, my score was:-

Sea Devon,

Varsity

Canberra,

VC10,

BAC 1-11

Got a good old nose into the Hunter and 'bottled' the Harrier!

Hoping the E.E.Lightning is back home for my next visit.....with the chance to sit in!

*BIG.............this means US!

4 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

I can recommend CAHC, especially for the BIG* kids! Where else are you activly encouraged to enter AND sit in the exhibits?

Last visit, my score was:-

Sea Devon,

Varsity

Canberra,

VC10,

BAC 1-11

Got a good old nose into the Hunter and 'bottled' the Harrier!

Hoping the E.E.Lightning is back home for my next visit.....with the chance to sit in!

*BIG.............this means US!

The grandchildren wouldn't let me in!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Red Dot said:

The grandchildren wouldn't let me in!!

He, he, didn't take mine.....THIS time! 2019 however will be entirely different!

Oh, how I LOVE (OTHER phrases are available!) the A30 during the kids summer holidays!

15 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Where else are you activly encouraged to enter AND sit in the exhibits?

At the risk of getting boring.... Brooklands!  Where my non-aviation-minded partner not only sat in the pilot's seat of a VC-10 but was talked through dealing with a simulated engine fire (complete with flashing lights) and I sat in the rear cockpit of G-VTOL.  Full credit to the wonderful guides there, mostly ex-Vickers employees.

• Like 1

Great shots, nice selection of types, & loving the slow shutter speeds on the rotors. 

Cornwall Aviation Heritage Centre added to my to-do list!

Thanks for sharing,

1 hour ago, PhoenixII said:

Where I work; not far away.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seahawk said:

At the risk of getting boring.... Brooklands!  Where my non-aviation-minded partner not only sat in the pilot's seat of a VC-10 but was talked through dealing with a simulated engine fire (complete with flashing lights) and I sat in the rear cockpit of G-VTOL.  Full credit to the wonderful guides there, mostly ex-Vickers employees.

But Seahawk, can Brooklands offer wonderful beaches and an active airfield like St. Mawgan does?

One is constantly there, the other less than 30 minutes away (school hols. etc. etc.) :whistle:

3 hours ago, Darby said:

Where I work; not far away.

Now Darby, just stop yer bragging!!

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

But Seahawk, can Brooklands offer wonderful beaches and an active airfield like St. Mawgan does?

No, but the traffic jams in M25-land are at least competitive with Cornwall's in summer.

Not running down CAHC, by the way.  Must make my way there sometime.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Seahawk said:

No, but the traffic jams in M25-land are at least competitive with Cornwall's in summer.

Scorrier to the first dual section after that east bound; just under an hour last weekend. No tractors involved either. In all 4 miles in one hour!

• Sad 1

But Darby, don't forget, their widening the A30...............

Over the next three years??! :crosseyed:

Running a book, my bet is it'll start first week in September, 2???!

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

But Darby, don't forget, their widening the A30...............

Over the next three years??! :crosseyed:

Running a book, my bet is it'll start first week in September, 2???!

It'll mean tractors 'drag racing.'

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Darby said:

It'll mean tractors 'drag racing.'

Take it that's a Cornish variation on what the rest of the country have..... 38 - 42 tonne Elephant racing :whistle:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for looking.

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:53 PM, Paul J said:

Lovely mix of types there. Great pics too. Like the "Sentinel" lookie likey in unpainted finish destined for a middle east nation going by the flag on the fin. 

Spot the difference quiz: All I can see is the hump on top of the fin in the lower two pics of the Beech type. 

Indeed, apparently the fin top radome identifies it as a recently modified R1A. 

The Global 6000 'Sentinel' lookalike is destined for the UAE Air Force. A second painted aircraft was rolled out at Cambridge this week.