Hastings

James Craik

9 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Bit too long ago, mind...  I hope that they haven't dropped the project.

Long ago for me to have forgotten, yes, it would be good to see this resurface.

Steve.

On 8/1/2018 at 7:40 PM, jaw said:

Have a look at their website.

Been there done that now, in truth, their vac one is very vac formy with all that involves & would still need converting to C.2/3 standard. The C'4 resin one would be OK but not for over NZ$100.00 delivered. A nice simple easy to build plastic one for about the same price as the Welsh vac one would make me a happy camper.

Steve.

• Like 2

For what many people would pay for a mainstream kit, then a ton of resin and brass to 'correct' it, you might get lucky and get a resin one from S&M.

His total run is less than 100, and he has a few left - at £150 each.  Your chances of an injection kit in 1/72 are less than zero. Mel knows the costings through working with Mikro-Mir, and it just isn't viable. Mel will do a third run if there is demand, but it means another fresh mould, the last one gave out after 47 impressions. It's a lovely kit, with all the options. Weighs a ton mind.

There has been at least one vac form Hastings in 1/72, which took rather a lot of work.  Or, if you prefer it, provided hours and hours of modelling "fun".  However, the reasons given above are why The Good Lord invented 1/144 scale, and I await the Mikro Mir kit with considerable anticipation.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

I had the Formaplane issue (later released by AIM Transport Wings in thicker plastic) Lots of modeling fun is one way to interpret it.

Wallyinoz has it now, together with someone else's kit. Lets see how he gets on. I have seen one built up, and I was glad I didn't make the Formaplane issue. 

Mel's is accurate, and Mikro-Mir had no part in the process.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

For what many people would pay for a mainstream kit, then a ton of resin and brass to 'correct' it, you might get lucky and get a resin one from S&M.

His total run is less than 100, and he has a few left - at £150 each.

Much as I love the Hastings I've never spent anything like £150 on a kit, and don't buy bits to correct them either. Certainly can't afford to spend that sort of dosh now....and if SWMBO ever found out I had I wouldn't live long enough to build it!

I'll probably have to sell some of the stash to fund a MikroMir one should it ever arrive!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a Formaplane 1/72 vac Hastings.  Are there any built reviews ? What are the biggest issues ?   Could a Halifax kit be used as a donor kit ?

The Elevington Air Museum, used a set of Hasting wings to rebuild their Halifax, would it work the other way round ?

1 hour ago, DOUGHNUT said:

I have a Formaplane 1/72 vac Hastings.  Are there any built reviews ? What are the biggest issues ?   Could a Halifax kit be used as a donor kit ?

The Elevington Air Museum, used a set of Hasting wings to rebuild their Halifax, would it work the other way round ?

If it is an original Formaplane boxing, it has all the structural strength of wet tissue paper once it is cut from the backing sheet. I would not go there. Even when built, it has issues.

The Hastings wing can be described as basically a  Halifax wing plus extrs bits.  So making a Halifax wing from a Hastings wing is much simpler than the other way around.  Modellers can do anything, of course, if they are prepared for a lot of work.  Even make the Formaplane Hastings...

IIRC, there were postings on the Flypast Historic Aircraft forum that illustrated the differences between the two wings, but at least two years ago?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I built the Formaplane kit many years ago.  I confess that I didn’t have the issues alluded to above regarding the thickness of the vac form plastic. I did put in a number of bulkheads for rigidity and I also sourced some injection moulded Hercules radial engines from somewhere long forgotten.  I don’t recall completing the kit as it got lost somewhere in a number of house and country moves at the end of the 90s but I did get to the painting stage and it certainly looked like a Hastings!

I believe, although not 100% sure, that these were lasted used at Scampton with 1066 Squadron (?).

I lived in the circuit of Scampton, more frequently used by the Vulcans.

Seeing these Hastings come over was a grand sight and rather nice sound, of these four-engine beauts.

happy days

On 9/25/2018 at 1:37 PM, Mancunian airman said:

I believe, although not 100% sure, that these were lasted used at Scampton with 1066 Squadron (?).

I lived in the circuit of Scampton, more frequently used by the Vulcans.

Seeing these Hastings come over was a grand sight and rather nice sound, of these four-engine beauts.

happy days

Correct - alias the Strike Command Bombing School, moved from Lindholme to Scampton in the early 70s.