A7V (Krupp) - Meng 1/35

44997722894_7201193145_c_d.jpg

Not far off all four sides being glued on once I've got the ammo boxes installed. 

Floor has been drybrushed with Citadel "Leadbelcher" which has brought out the chequerplate detail quite nicely.

IanJ

• Like 3

Think I have a solution to the "displaying the interior" conundrum.....

30809397837_cc7c27aff1_c_d.jpg

43931734620_daa38f357a_c_d.jpg

30809397877_c38842582e_c_d.jpg

I'll glue the roof in place and leave one side and the driver's casement loose.

Shame there's no engines 🙂

IanJ

Edited by Bonhoff
Sticky shift key
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Bonhoff said:

Think I have a solution to the "displaying the interior" conundrum.....

30809397837_cc7c27aff1_c_d.jpg

43931734620_daa38f357a_c_d.jpg

30809397877_c38842582e_c_d.jpg

I'll glue the roof in place and leave one side and the driver's casement loose.

Shame there's no engines 🙂

IanJ

Superb work Ian.Why not scratch the engines?I know that it is not an option for now but after the GB perhaps?

Regards:

Shaun

• Thanks 1

That's the majority of the assembling done now.

45738477982_cd07a1e1d1_c_d.jpg

Observations that might help others -

1. You'll need to taper the ends of the exhaust pipes to fit them into the silencer boxes.

2. Don't fit the tow ropes and brackets before you've painted and put the crosses on the roof.

3. Tolerances are tight - The side that isn't glued simply clicks into place.

4. Probably best to paint the gun shield before you install the gun in the tank - tricky to do it once the roof is in place.

5. I drilled out the clamps for the ends of the ropes to give a bit more clearance while threading everything together. When you cut the nylon rope to length you can use CA to prevent the ends fraying.

45738573192_889448f099_c_d.jpg

Hopefully there's enough time left to paint it including the annual pilgrimage to Telford and going to a rememberance service on Sunday.

KR's

IanJ

• Like 4

This is where I got to before I pulled the plug... I'd also discovered that I hadn't glued the lower glacis plates in correctly, or at the right end!

Schoolboy error.

44028086760_dea1af9b4f_c_d.jpg

Firstly - Three thinned coats of Vallejo "Sand Yellow" for the overall base colour.

45119992944_37f3b1dd24_c_d.jpg

And this is where we ended up before I threw in the towel - Vallejo "German Cam.Chocolate Brown" and "Cam.Olive Green" for the other colours. I might revisit the brown and try a Revell Brown that has a redder shade to it which should then match the "Red Brown" described in the instructions.

Will plod on with it until it's complete -  Requires paint completing, gloss coat, decals (The crosses on the roof will take some trimming around the grilles,) oil dots, weathering and a matt coat.

KR's

IanJ

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Not completely given up with it - It's just that a 1:1 scale kitchen has now got in the way of progress...

45283783895_9eecd5f5ec_c.jpg

46196563421_cab7d93d17_c.jpg

As feared, given the number of rivets and grilles, a huge volume of Microsol has been utilised. The central cross on each side has been drybrushed in the appropriate background colours to make it appear to have been overpainted as per the box top illustration. 

KR's

IanJ

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Final components added, ropes to the roof and what I'm assuming are retaining straps of some sort - The manufacturer would have you simply slide the strap over the hook but that's not possible. I just removed the top of the strap and clipped it to the hook.

I'd also advise you to protect the ends of the machine guns if at all possible as I've managed to ping three off so far, never to be seen again. 

It's also been toned down with the aid of oil paint dots, Citadel Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade. 

Just got a light "Muddying Up" to do to and it'll be done.

44680646440_ee63ff1a5a_c.jpg

45774056744_89efb29761_c.jpg

KR's

IanJ 

• Like 1