Academy 1/72 F-4J "Showtime 100"

First, the model.  The Academy 1/72 F-4J IS the finest Phantom kit out there, knocking the Hasegawa line far into second place.  It builds up just like the Tamiya 1/32 line of Phantoms.  No seam lines, and a highly detailed jet.  The only negative I can say is you only get a closed canopy, which is fine by me, since it makes the model look sleek.  The worst part are the decals.  They are beautifully printed, in register, and plenty of them to make your model look terrific.  One problem, they don't stick.  I had to hand dip each one in Future to get them down.  Then they silvered.  Not to worry, you can get after market decals.  Academy's 1/48 F-4 decals are printed by Cartograph, so no worries there.

Secondly, who I built it for.  Lately, I have been giving kits away.  (Some of you may recall my 617 Squadron Lancaster/Mohne dam diorama that I donated to 617 Squadron.)  This Phantom I built for my friend and military flying inspiration; and the Vietnam War's first MiG ace, Commander Randy "Duke" Cunningham, USN, Ret.  What he sent me in return was more than treasure.  Please enjoy!

IMG_0360 (2)

IMG_0369 (2)

IMG_0368 (2)

IMG_0362 (2)

IMG_0367 (2)

IMG_0371 (2)

IMG_0359 (2)

IMG_0363 (2)

IMG_0364 (2)

IMG_0365 (2)

IMG_0358 (2)

IMG_0366 (2)

IMG_0385 (2)

IMG_0383 (2)

IMG_0382 (2)

IMG_0391 (2)

IMG_0388 (2)

IMG_0393 (2)

• Like 44

What a beautiful model!

Although I have no Phantom kits (yet), I welcome your forthright opinion on the Academy kit.

Moreover, the feedback from "Duke" is simply awesome.

To build a model and give it to a grateful recipient leaves a great feeling for both parties.

Fantastic!

:clap:

• Thanks 1

That's a beautiful build! 

I absolutely agree with you about the quality of this kit, having built on recently myself. What's amazing to me is that you were actually able to use the cardboard decals that comes with it 😲

• Haha 1

Incredible! Have been thinking of getting a Phantom for a while, did think the Academy box art looked lovely and so a positive review like this seals the deal.

This will be a great example to get inspiration from. 

To the uninitiated, what happened to the F4 and Mig in the dioramas (I assume it's based on a real event in 'Nam?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Filbert_Wang said:

To the uninitiated, what happened to the F4 and Mig in the dioramas (I assume it's based on a real event in 'Nam?)

That flight is legend, where Cunningham and Driscol became the first aces of Vietnam.

Before spoiling, you need to watch History Channel's  Dogfights, pilot episode titled The Greatest Air Battles, (linked here from YouTube) - from about 55 minutes in, which tells the story far better than I could.

I've want to build Showtime 100 ever since seeing that.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
More info
  • Like 3

Superb build and finish of a very significant F-4 :worthy::worthy: but to actually know a legend is just icing for me :clap2:

The first time I'd read about the engagement was in the Squadron Signal title ". . . and Kill Migs!!" when that particular tome first came out a long time ago😎

• Thanks 1

Well if it gets Commander Cunningham's approval it certainly gets mine too. A great looking model of Showtime 100 and good to hear that the Academy kit is as good as I'd heard it was.

As an aside the latest rendition of the kit includes decals for VMFA-232 and they are printed by Cartograf so should be good.

Duncan B

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What a beautiful build! Congratulations, and thanks for sharing the images. I can't think of a more exciting and rewarding end to a build of a specific machine than presenting it to the pilot/crew of the original. And to have such treasures come back in return. Wow!

Does anyone know of a good place online to read about Duke's career as a naval aviator? I went to his Wikipedia page but the vast majority is dedicated to the corruption around his time in political office, as well as his crimes and jail time resulting from same.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, k5054nz said:

What a beautiful build! Congratulations, and thanks for sharing the images. I can't think of a more exciting and rewarding end to a build of a specific machine than presenting it to the pilot/crew of the original. And to have such treasures come back in return. Wow!

Does anyone know of a good place online to read about Duke's career as a naval aviator? I went to his Wikipedia page but the vast majority is dedicated to the corruption around his time in political office, as well as his crimes and jail time resulting from same.

Hi, you can get his book, which is a pretty good read, and if you ask, Duke will autograph it for you!

http://dukescombataviationart.com/shop/photography/signedphoto/

• Like 1

Superb build of a superb aircraft. Always like the Showtime 100 markings and the story that supports it. Your comments on the quality of this kit make it a must for me to add to my stash. Gull grey and white F-4's are so much part of my early modelling ventures.

Cheers

Terry

• Thanks 1

A great looking Phantom, fantastic finish, and some interesting artefacts from the former Congressman and convicted felon,  but  the Sidewinder Launchers (LAU7) look like they have drooped a little on the pylon, they should have no anhedral, but be horizontal in respect to each other.  Perhaps something Academy need to clarify in their instructions? 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Troffa said:

A great looking Phantom, fantastic finish, and some interesting artefacts from the former Congressman and convicted felon,  but  the Sidewinder Launchers (LAU7) look like they have drooped a little on the pylon, they should have no anhedral, but be horizontal in respect to each other.  Perhaps something Academy need to clarify in their instructions? 

Duke is a friend of mine.  read the rules regarding swearing.  I built this jet to celebrate his career as a Naval Aviator and the Vietnam War's first Ace.  What purpose did your comment "Congressman and convicted felon" serve to further the discussion about my F-4J?  I know about his past sins, they seem out of place here.  Thanks for liking the build.  Their is a slight anhederal to the missile trays, I've seen them both ways.  

f-4j_12_of_24.jpg