1/72 F-105 Build--Revell & Trumpeter

Hello all--decided that I am going to take a crack at posting pictures of a WIP in progress for the 1st time.  Inspiration for this particular build came from Blin53 & his "Old Dog, New Tricks"  Wont follow it to the letter & wanted to use this as an opportunity to go step by step to compare the new and old kits.  I am leaning heavily on the Eduard photo interior & exterior frets for Trumpeter's kit--the Revell kit is out of the box and holding it is own.  Always open to more ideas on how to improve my skills--this forum is an awesome community of talent!

Really wanted to try out a multi-media solution NMF--foil & Aclad 2--frankly from the pics below taken at the Air Museum in Warner Robbins Georgia, USA, I could not think of another way

thumb_IMG_2202_1024thumb_IMG_2225_1024

thumb_IMG_2225_1024

thumb_IMG_2235_1024

thumb_IMG_2213_1024

Edited by VT Red Sox Fan
Add photos
  • Like 4

Inorder to replicate I 1st used foil--the inside of the afterburner petals were the "matt" side of the foil--the exterior of the after burner petals were done as follows--center matt, edges shiny--I then used hot metal sepia too tone down contrast and jet exhast over the foil. Revell's parts are to the left & Trumpeter's to the right

DSCN1901

DSCN1902

Edited by VT Red Sox Fan
Add photo
  • Like 6

Bill, no problem--your build is simply AWESOME!  Based off it, I started purchasing a bunch of Monogram F-105G, Revell F-105D off of eBay, along with the Trumpeter model--wanted to cross cue your work on the Trumpeter w/ the older models--I think I will be short the Aires cockpit--used the full Eduard cockpit interior, the landing light lenses... will attempt to cast the main gear doors, and rear air scoops from the Revell--really looking fwd to assembling the main gear wells.. will also be opening the drag chute bay on the Trumpeter--easy to do OOB on that version vice the Revell

Had a great response for my pings on the drag chute compartment--based on the folks on here who seem to have a bench deeper than I could hope to have on the Thud, 🙂 

Always looking for input--will be posting some photos of the 2 cockpits once I put some future on the dials this week--thanks again Bill for the inspiration...

Revell afterburner & flame holder:

DSCN1903

Trumpeter afterburner & flame holder:

DSCN1904

On both of these I put down a base of Tamiya Glass Black spray, Allclad 2 Duralumin, Hot Metal Sepia, & Jet Exhaust followed by a simple graphite pencil to bring out the detail... On the Trumpeter, I will attempt to use the Eduard photo etch for the tube, but may go back to the original kit part--the ridges look more detailed and I can live with seam in a very dark part of the airplane

Edited by VT Red Sox Fan
Background
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend marked 2 big steps in this build 1) Deciding to go for an aftermarket cockpit--both the Revell & Trumpeter seats are the weakest points of the kits--Bill's after market seats were to good to resist--when I went to purchase, all I could find was the cockpit and seat for sale, so I took the plunge for the entire set.  Set me back about a month (the pace of this hobby is a lot slower as an adult in reality but a kid at heart).  2) I finished casting the parts I will use from the Revell kit on the Trupmeter--Wheels, Main gear doors, afterburner intakes.  For reference I included pics of the OOB cockpits--Trumpeter includes Eduard photo.

DSCN1909

Revell seat on left, Trumpeter seat on right--planing on putting in a pilot in both, so not too worried about belts, but the most noticable part of the seat (head rest) is fully exposed--I believe the poor detailing of the head rest areas in both kits represent the weak points in both kits

DSCN1910

DSCN1913

Revell cockpit on left, Trumpeter cockpit on right w/ Eduard phot etch--believe that even w/ the photo etch the Revell nudges out the Trumpeter (w/o phot etch Revell crushes its newer cousin from Trumpeter in this area--at least in my opinion--no doubt there is talent out there that will disagree and that it is totally cool--I learn something here every day)

DSCN1912

Eduard instrument panel on left, Revell on right--believe Eduard nudges out Revell in detail, but crushes my painting techniques 🙂 Will be using the photo etch panel on the actual build for sure

Edited by VT Red Sox Fan
Add instrument panel info
  • Like 2

One other question for the F-105 fans here--I have seen multiple threads on Britmodeller and other sites indicating the interior of the intakes was the camo color on the outside--ie one side could be tan & one side could be green.  I also saw a picture of a camo bird on Craig Baker's w/ all white intake interiors.  This generates 2 questions in my mind--1) Was there a time frame when the intake interiors switched from white to camo or are white intake interiors throughout the entire intake a one off king of deal & 2) is it possible to have 2 different colors in the intakes i.e. left green/right tan--thanks for the help & apologize if this has already been answered else where & I missed it

Hi VT RSF! 

You are correct, Bill's build report was a masterclass. I, too, have a Thud in build. In fact it should be in RFI next week. Here she is:

good luck!

Martin

• Thanks 1

Martin--you have an awesome build going there--believe I looked at it when I decided to a Thud after finishing my F-102.  I love the F-105 in the early un-painted and silver lacquer schemes-- yours is turning out AWESOME!!!! To be honest, I was a little daunted in my lack of knowledge in modifying either a Revell or Trumpeter to be an early Thud.  That said, I was very interested in how a NMF/silver lacquer F-105 would look like next to the glossy grey F-102.  I am thinking after building 2 F-105s roughly OOB while comparing builds like yours will make me ready for the challenge. FWIW, pics of some of my recent builds are in my intro https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235041064-getting-started/  Look fwd to tracking your build--I have a few more wickets than you before I get to RFI --VT RSF

Hi VT RSF, 

Thanks for your vote of confidence and comments. I am not counting my chickens yet as there is still a little more to do. Next will be the undercarriage and test probe/pitot. These are all painted and need fitting. Thereafter it’ll be a final paint shop visit for an overall varnish coat. Things are slow because my available time is limited and the enamels I choose you use, rather than acrylics, need more curing time. Once done she’ll be posted on RFI. I won’t post any more WIP because I don’t think there is anything more than what @Billn53 posted in his guiding thread from last year.

I’m looking forward to seeing what you produce. I have amassed a few F-105 decal sheets now covering most of the offerings from Microscale, for example, and others. My intention, one day, is to follow your example and go for another NMF machine, being an aircraft from the 563rd TFS/23rdTFW – the most colourful operational machines from that era. Before then it will be F-105D 59-1749 “Mr Toad/Marilee E” and a Trumpeter/Hasegawa(nose) F-105B 54-0107 from the Phase 5 programme. The latter was NMF with red arctic patches. I am gathering info and materials for these two.

In your build notes you mention various resin extras. I have used the cockpit set and wheels for 58-1155. I was impressed by both, particularly the wheels. I also have wing tanks (un-used so far). Certainly do not use the Trumpeter decals, particularly the national insignia, as they are wrong in colour, size and shape. For the latter I used Xtradecal and they were excellent.

Good luck!

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
Duplicate entry
  • Thanks 1

Hi again VT RSF! I see your F-102 is a Vermont machine. Mine will be also. I have a DrawDecal set and another from Xtradecal.... one day when I can schedule it in to the building programme ;).

Martin

• Thanks 1

Thanks Ridge Runner--inspiration was that the VT Air National Guard was my dad's unit--he got there when they flew EB-57s--but I grew up w/ awesome stories of the 'Duece 🙂   Will be trying to program an EB-57 build as well in 1/72 to compliment my slick B-57B Night intruder... the Thud build is giving me plenty of satisfaction along with connecting with awesome builders like yourself... 

45 minutes ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

VT Air National Guard was my dad's unit--he got there when they flew EB-57s--but I grew up w/ awesome stories of the 'Duece 🙂

Nice memories :). 

Martin

On 29 July 2018 at 9:39 PM, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Revell's parts are to the right & Trumpeter's to the left

Not the other way around, mate?

• Thanks 1

Hoping to start the inakes soon but incredibly torn on how to paint--have been going through a ton of internet searches and I am seeing that Thuds had white (or possibly aluminum lacquer)  intakes in Vietnam & can not find evidence to the contrary from Vietnam era photos--but I have a lot of faith in what I see on Britmodeller where most builds show the intakes green up front. Here is a source of my concern--http://www.burrusspta.org/newsubmissions.html and check out F-105's in Vietnam (photo from Vietnam era aircrew in flight posted below).  My question is if there was a time rame the camo color went into the front of the intakes--in fairness the 3 display acft I have seen (Warner Robbins/Nat'l Museum USAF/Udvar Hazy, and numerous unrestored current internet photos of F-105s indicate painted intakes).  It could be late Vietnam war or post war--anyway really torn right now which way to go, since I have a ton of faith in the research on this board & I feell like I am swimming upstream... FWIW, Revell's 1980 instructions say the intakes are aluminum vice white?  Any thoughts on where I am off or right mucho appreciated--screen capture of best  Vietnam era photo below

Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 7.08.12 PM

Edited by VT Red Sox Fan
clarification

I suspect the answer to your intake color question might be "it depends". My research into wheel bay colors found that there was little consistency across aircraft, at least during the Vietnam era. 

Heres the the pic I used as reference for my build:

f105intakejr_2.jpg

Bill

• Like 1

Hi VT RSF and Bill, 

It looks like the intakes were intended to be white but, as said earlier, in Vietnam (like any war zone) there was a lot of "use what you have in your hand". While the basic principles of directives were adhered to, expediency and necessity often demanded that things were done differently at times. The same also applies to national insignia and lettering/numbering. You can see many variations in positioning and size if if you look at multiples of pictures of same type side by side. For NMF and lacquered finishes it was generally more standardised. I'd say the intakes at that time were also NMF

One more thing from me is to say that using museum pieces for reference is generally a flawed approach. It is rare to find that museums have repainted exactly as the aircraft was in its operational form.  Of course, Bill's image above shows a pre-restoration machine. ;)

All just my opinion so anyone with direct and more comprehensive information please chip in ;)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

You may have seen this one .....

again in looks like white is correct for the intakes?

Martin

PS: I noticed that this film shows Mr Toad in flight :) (at 32.50 for example). You can't see the name but the distinctive camo scheme makes her stand out :).

Edited by RidgeRunner

Bill and Martin--you guys are awesome!  I can now build in peace w/o the gnawing "did I get it right" for my taste in the back of mind (I believe many on the forum understand this feeling 🙂 )  I will do white intakes while leveraging Bill's plans for the variable air ramps ( on the Revell, I will attempt to use styrene to replicate the runners w/ styrene)--are any of familiar with a build that scratched these--it seems the supply of external F-105G photo etch is drying up like Hasegawa F-111s 😉