Gloster Meteor F8 Belgium Target Tow

Davek72

With apologies for the lateness of my entry I would like to join the GB with a Meteor F8 in quite garish Belgium colours.   I have a massive soft spot for the Meteor in all its guises and had half a mind to build an Airfix 1/48 Meteor for this GB but (a) there is already one in the group and (b) I am having a spectacular run of not finishing kits at the moment...so maybe something with a lower parts count.

I am using the Xtrakit as the base which is I believe the MPM F8 reboxed.  

29844398088_f6d62b6605_b.jpg

The decals are Xtradecal X72-071.

42811052165_37007727bc_b.jpg

42811051945_afd4b25282_b.jpg

All comments very welcome.

Dave

• Like 5

Welcome to the GB !

Interesting choice, the Meteor was the first jet fighter for many European air forces, will be nice to see a Belgian one, more so in such an unusual scheme.

A bit of selfish interest here too, as I recently purchased the same kit I'll be very interested in watching how this one builds... 😁

On 7/30/2018 at 9:16 AM, Giorgio N said:

Welcome to the GB !

Interesting choice, the Meteor was the first jet fighter for many European air forces, will be nice to see a Belgian one, more so in such an unusual scheme.

A bit of selfish interest here too, as I recently purchased the same kit I'll be very interested in watching how this one builds... 😁

Thanks Giorgio

It is certainly a fun scheme.   Glad to have you along for the build.  I had fun with a previous MPM Meteor kit and that built up nicely so hopefully everything will come together.

Cheers

Dave 

• Like 1

So I haven't got very far yet....actually about this far:

43719325872_dbd987ecb4_b.jpg

All good so far.

Then I started looking at the ejector seat.  Needs a bit of work thinks I...then my alter ego said nah straight out of the box you said.  Anyway after some deliberation I remembered another Meteor MPM kit in the stash with added resin bits.

And discovered this...

43719325712_8f7f29026b_b.jpg

Now I suspect you are all thinking...just nab it and be done with it.  But I have a slightly OCD thing about cannibalising other perfectly good kits (which I do want to build someday).  Call me strange.

So I looked at the aftermarket resin stuff and its all twice the price of the original Xtrakit kit.

So I have ordered a Eduard set of photo etch to dress up the kit part and will probably leave it at that...probably....

Dave

• Like 1

If you're only interested in the seats, have you checked Pavla's catalogue ? They have a wide range of resin seats at very fair prices, Some of their products seem to be copies of other people's stuff and their quality is not the same as say Aires or Neomega but their prices are pretty low

On 8/1/2018 at 8:53 PM, Grandboof said:

Great choice of colour scheme 

Martin H

Thanks Martin.  It certainly looks cool.  Whether I can do it justice is another matter.

Dave

On 8/3/2018 at 8:56 AM, Giorgio N said:

If you're only interested in the seats, have you checked Pavla's catalogue ? They have a wide range of resin seats at very fair prices, Some of their products seem to be copies of other people's stuff and their quality is not the same as say Aires or Neomega but their prices are pretty low

That is a really good call.  I will have a look.

D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have gone on holiday to Brittany and god bless my wife she suggested I brough along some modelling to keep me quiet.  So here is my impromptu modelling bench....

44057540842_011f37c650_b.jpg

Have been working on the cockpit using the Eduard set I ordered.   I did also order a resin seat but it didn’t arrive in time so will used for another build.

30238546658_a56d30cb02_b.jpg

43387942784_7f794fb6fe_b.jpg

As always there are rather a lot of very small bits of photo etch nearly all of which will never be seen.

Dave

• Like 3

9 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

This will be a striking bird!  Very colourful.

Cheers John.  The weather here has been variable to say the least so my son (5) and I have made some progress.  Will post some photos tomorrow.  

Dave

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

You are a lucky man in having a very supportive wife ! I know some that would go mad at the idea of their husband carrying modelling tools on holiday....😁

Very nice cockpit, love the seat in particular

Thanks Giorgio.  Mrs K is indeed very understanding about bringing the modelling stuff but I did also have to bring the in laws....

Main colours now on.  All hand brushed as Mrs Ks travel allowance didn’t permit an airbrush...I know not very reasonable.

The only trick bit was the orange which as seems usual with that colour took about 10 coats over white to get a decent finish.

30390160238_16f3fce73e_b.jpg

30390159388_55e20da17e_b.jpg

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

Well, if it took you 10 coats, that doesn't show at all... if I had applied 10 coats there would be no panel line left visible while on your model they are all there.. Well done !

Shee looks very nice and colourful. Good job with the paintbrush

On 8/25/2018 at 6:46 PM, John D.C. Masters said:

It doesn't look like 10 coats.  Nice paint job.

Cheers John.  They were very thin coats but we have lost some of the detail.  Never mind it’s a nice shade now.

Dave

10 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Well, if it took you 10 coats, that doesn't show at all... if I had applied 10 coats there would be no panel line left visible while on your model they are all there.. Well done !

Shee looks very nice and colourful. Good job with the paintbrush

Thanks Giorgio.   It’s been a fun project so far but heading home from holiday tomorrow so will have to finish things off when I am back at the proper workbench 😀

• 5 weeks later...

,Crikey another month has gone by with practically no time at the workbench.   However I have managed about an hour over the last week to finish her off.

The stencilling was an absolute pig and a couple of the decals had to be patched up but the aftermarket decals from Xtrakit did work well.  Overall I am quite happy with her but think I may have overdone the weathering...as always comments welcome.

44223807054_c59cf4d523_b.jpg

44223807334_24f3e57b78_b.jpg

31071304338_26b9662634_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Dave

• Like 7