Tamiya WESPE Sd.Kfz.124 -First blog build COMPLETE

Thanks Hairtrigger........:yes:

Maybe I was being a bit harsh on the MC tracks....but the pins have a tendency to drop out with handling, as they rely on friction to lock in. I had to in the end wire connect them like Friuls....so I think from now on I'll stick with Friuls....although I just picked up a set of ModelKasten for a Sd.Kfz 7....so see how they go...........:worry:

Thanks again

Simon.

• 1 month later...

HI Simon,

This slipped under my radar somehow. I'm glad I was bored and thought to trawl back a few pages.

What a stunning creation.

I WOULDN'T go so far as to say it's the best Wespe I've seen on BM, though. I'd say it's the best AFV I've ever seen on BM. I can't fault it at all. All I have is praise, for every single component of the build. Superb  weathering and the best chipping I have ever seen.

Now, I love Nashorns, but have to admit I'm thinking now that the slightly smaller size of the Wespe condenses all of those glorious details and makes for a better subject. I doubt I'd do a good a job as you have though.

Again, STUNNING.

Rearguards,

Badder

PS, Someone should bump this post every time it drops to page 2!😁

Edited by Badder
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2018 at 3:05 AM, Badder said:

HI Simon,

This slipped under my radar somehow. I'm glad I was bored and thought to trawl back a few pages.

What a stunning creation.

I WOULDN'T go so far as to say it's the best Wespe I've seen on BM, though. I'd say it's the best AFV I've ever seen on BM. I can't fault it at all. All I have is praise, for every single component of the build. Superb  weathering and the best chipping I have ever seen.

Now, I love Nashorns, but have to admit I'm thinking now that the slightly smaller size of the Wespe condenses all of those glorious details and makes for a better subject. I doubt I'd do a good a job as you have though.

Again, STUNNING.

Rearguards,

Badder

PS, Someone should bump this post every time it drops to page 2!😁

On 9/16/2018 at 7:22 AM, sanfrandragon said:

Love the detail in the fighting compartment and the weathering, especially the mud up the rear, is brilliant.

Hi both.....just got back and have internet access, so sorry for the delay in my reply....thanks for taking a look and your very positive comments, really appreciate them.

I'm contemplating the Hornise as my next build Badder, it's neck and neck with the 8ton semi track with 37mm flak.....so once my Centaur is finished I'll have my next build decided on....although I still have the finish the 20mm addition to the Zugkraftwagen still......:S

Thanks

• Haha 1

• 11 months later...

Hi Simon, I'm giving yourstunning Wespe a well-deserved bump. (Again)

@Retired Bob Not entirely Penumbra-style chipping but there is some in there. I have a gander here now and then whenever I intend to chip by brush.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

On 07/08/2018 at 22:01, Redcoat2966 said:

Maybe I was being a bit harsh on the MC tracks....but the pins have a tendency to drop out with handling, as they rely on friction to lock in. I had to in the end wire connect them like Friuls....so I think from now on I'll stick with Friuls....although I just picked up a set of ModelKasten for a Sd.Kfz 7....so see how they go...........:worry:

Hi Simon, stunning Wespe, :worthy: very impressive build and I know about long term projects. :whistle:  On the subject of MC tracks, I have only bought one set, late panzer IV, and I have had problems with the pins, as per the instructions I cleared each pin hole with a 0.5 drill bit, but I still had a lot of breakages and then them dropping out, so I have not bought anymore.  I have some ModelKasten for a KT and Panthers.  The KT ones were assembled a few years ago and stored in a plastic box, when I looked at using them on my recent KT build a lot of the connecting plastic pins just sheared off, so they are back in their box.  I'm tending to treat all plastic working tracks like link and length tracks and glue them together to prevent track breakage. (or use Fruils)

On 8/22/2019 at 1:23 PM, Badder said:

Hi Simon, I'm giving yourstunning Wespe a well-deserved bump. (Again)

@Retired Bob Not entirely Penumbra-style chipping but there is some in there. I have a gander here now and then whenever I intend to chip by brush.

Rearguards,

Badder

Cheers Badder......still trying to Google "Penumbra-style".........:smile:....I'm actually going to put it back in the line up for finalising for some additional work to put it on a base/diorama, along with figures.

On 8/22/2019 at 2:24 PM, Retired Bob said:

Hi Simon, stunning Wespe, :worthy: very impressive build and I know about long term projects. :whistle:  On the subject of MC tracks, I have only bought one set, late panzer IV, and I have had problems with the pins, as per the instructions I cleared each pin hole with a 0.5 drill bit, but I still had a lot of breakages and then them dropping out, so I have not bought anymore.  I have some ModelKasten for a KT and Panthers.  The KT ones were assembled a few years ago and stored in a plastic box, when I looked at using them on my recent KT build a lot of the connecting plastic pins just sheared off, so they are back in their box.  I'm tending to treat all plastic working tracks like link and length tracks and glue them together to prevent track breakage. (or use Fruils)

Hi Bob.......Master Club are truly off my Christmas list, not going to use them again. I know some like and swear by them............:huh:...each to their own. I have just picked up some MK tracks for my RSO and have a set for the SdKfz 7 with FLAK gun that's on the bench next year. So my first with them.....I actually tack in place even my Friul pins and the track itself when done to the wheels. Same with the Master Club's in question for the Wespe. I have heard of some issues with plastic tracks.......as regards the issue you mention. Also being effected by weathering to, due white spirit etc.

I'll let you know when those projects start up.

Thanks both......:yes:

Regards

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966

31 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi Bob.......Master Club are truly off my Christmas list, not going to use them again. I know some like and swear by them............:huh:...each to their own. I have just picked up some MK tracks for my RSO and have a set for the SdKfz 7 with FLAK gun that's on the bench next year. So my first with them.....I actually tack in place even my Friul pins and the track itself when done to the wheels. Same with the Mater Club's in question for the Wespe. I have heard of some issues with plastic tracks.......as regards the issue you mention. Also being effected by weathering to, due white spirit etc.

I have some Master Box plastic tracks for a Maultier that are tiny, especially after working on KT tracks.  Which Sdkfz 7 is it?  I have the Tamiya, Trumpeter and Dragon kits.  It was my Sherman Tulip that I weathered the plastic track links with refined turps and oil paints that melted most of the connecting pins. :wtf:

On 8/22/2019 at 6:46 PM, Retired Bob said:

I have some Master Box plastic tracks for a Maultier that are tiny, especially after working on KT tracks.  Which Sdkfz 7 is it?  I have the Tamiya, Trumpeter and Dragon kits.  It was my Sherman Tulip that I weathered the plastic track links with refined turps and oil paints that melted most of the connecting pins. :wtf:

Hi Bob

I knew I’d read it somewhere. The only plastic tracks I’ve  done to date are a set of Bronco for the Matilda....straight in the garbage. So hopefully the MK’s will be better. I’ll probably once fitted, thin set them all inplace.

I have the Dragon 7 with armoured cab and 37mm Flak......... I also picked up most of the  Griffon upgrades for it too. So a very long project for next year. I might try and enter it in the MAFVA competition at the end of the year......that’s if I get it done in time 😁😬

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I knew I’d read it somewhere. The only plastic tracks I’ve  done to date are a set of Bronco for the Matilda....straight in the garbage. So hopefully the MK’s will be better. I’ll probably once fitted, thin set them all inplace.

Yup, it was me with the melting track pins, I thought that the "refined" turps from an art shop would be better at thinning the oil paint to do a wash on the tracks, stick with the cheap white spirits, just don;t use too much.  I made up the Bronco tracks for the Matilda, they are workable, and I have several sets for Shermans, but I have given up trying to make them workable as they are so flimsy, so I am glueing them together like link and length, quicker and stronger. 😀

• Like 1

On 24/08/2019 at 10:50, Redcoat2966 said:

I have the Dragon 7 with armoured cab and 37mm Flak......... I also picked up most of the  Griffon upgrades for it too. So a very long project for next year. I might try and enter it in the MAFVA competition at the end of the year......that’s if I get it done in time 😁😬

Here is my old Tamiya Sdkfz.7/2, from when I didn't know better, The unfinished one is of course the Dragon one, just not sure how I want it, I'm thinking..... providing some air cover for an Elephant perhaps. :hmmm:

IMG_0954

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Here is my old Tamiya Sdkfz.7/2, from when I didn't know better, The unfinished one is of course the Dragon one, just not sure how I want it, I'm thinking..... providing some air cover for an Elephant perhaps. :hmmm:

I don't know Bob, the Tamiya one looks fine to me.....nice camo. My Dragon one will be a very long build....certainly for the new year. I'll load up a new build blog to lay out the parts and upgrade kits in place for it.....it might motivate me to break ground on it.....in time for the MAFVA finals.......one can live in hope....:huh:

Simon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redcoat2966 said:

My Dragon one will be a very long build....certainly for the new year.:huh:

They usually are, that's my problem, I dive into a kit I want to build it, glue the hull together, improving welds adding bits to enhance the model, then I lose enthusiasm and go onto something else.  The problem is of course, in your head you know what you want, but there is a good chance it will not turn out that way so you put off the inevitable, either a great model or a paint mule. :shrug:

23 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

They usually are, that's my problem, I dive into a kit I want to build it, glue the hull together, improving welds adding bits to enhance the model, then I lose enthusiasm and go onto something else.  The problem is of course, in your head you know what you want, but there is a good chance it will not turn out that way so you put off the inevitable, either a great model or a paint mule. :shrug:

I find the best thing to do mate, is to put away a problem, or a project you loose enthusiasm on and move to another......I look at all my "nearly" finished, and all need final touch's. But need to have a certain frame of mind for the individual needs of each one.....same applies to this Wespe. I have a display cabinet on the way, and intend to only put in what is "really" finished, and on a diorama base.

Don't give up on 'em mate. Put them to one side..........:yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2019 at 5:59 PM, Redcoat2966 said:

Cheers Badder......still trying to Google "Penumbra-style".........:smile:....I'm actually going to put it back in the line up for finalising for some additional work to put it on a base/diorama, along with figures.

Hi Simon,

I have a habit of making up new words, phrases and acronyms etc. The chipping effect where there's a dark 'dot' surrounded by the lighter (base) colour, seemed to me best described as a 'Penumbra'. Probably there's an 'official' term for the effect, but I dont know what it is.

Sorry to hear that you wasted time searching for the technique on the web, but you're not the only one to have fallen foul of my inventions. You may remember the 'havoc' I caused with my mention of a WWII German 'Kampfspringstab' in @Hewy's thread:

And as a direct result of that, here's what you STILL get if you Google 'Kampspringstab' today.

(Copied and pasted from Google)>>>>>

About 2 results (0.17 seconds) 

Search Results

Web results

1/35 Fahrgestell munitionsshlepper - Page 2 - Panzer IV STGB ...

https://www.britmodeller.com › ... › 2019 Groupbuilds › Panzer IV STGB

20 Dec 2018 - 25 posts - ‎7 authors

I too, have just googled 'Kampfspringstab' and was taken to my first post mentioning said vehicle. There was only one entry provided by Google ...

Images for kampfspringstab

More images for kampfspringstabReport images

Web results

Badder's Content - Page 5 - Britmodeller.com

https://www.britmodeller.com › forums › 19663-badder › content › page

Maybe it's vanished due to under-use. Interestingly, another word I invented, Kampfspringstab (Battle pogo stick) still comes up @Hewy Rearguards, Badder.

And now, of course, this post will come up on Google as well.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Don't give up on 'em mate. Put them to one side..........:yes:

Cheers mate, I always intend to finish them, especially those I have put a lot of work into, but putting them to one side......... the side is getting very full. :frantic:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Badder said:

Hi Simon,

I have a habit of making up new words, phrases and acronyms etc. The chipping effect where there's a dark 'dot' surrounded by the lighter (base) colour, seemed to me best described as a 'Penumbra'. Probably there's an 'official' term for the effect, but I dont know what it is.

HA HA HA....:rofl:That's funny mate..............:yes:, we are a creative bunch on here, even with the English language.......:winkgrin:

10 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Cheers mate, I always intend to finish them, especially those I have put a lot of work into, but putting them to one side......... the side is getting very full. :frantic:

I've bought an eight drawer unit, just to store them as they wait for finishing, (seven at present...:huh: )............keeps the dust off them too....:winkgrin:

Cheers both

Simon.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
13 hours ago, Longbow said:

Very Nice !! Stunning build and rendition !! 

What are you using for the metal effects, if you don't mind me asking ?

Thanks Longbow.......:yes:. I use Mr Color burnishable metal colours. I think this was Burnt Iron.

3 hours ago, gmoss said:

Fantastic!

Cheers mate.....appreciate you taking a look.

• Like 1