Fairey Seafox cokpit similarities with other aircrafts

Shalako

Hello lads,

I would like to ask if anyone knows if there are any similarities between the Fairey Seafox cockpit and one from another British aircraft. You see I have the Matchbox kit and now I'm looking for a cockpit - probably from Airwaves, to modify it for my Seafox.

Any ideas and/or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Shalako

Hello Shalako

I had not been familiar with Sea Fox cockpit and I was expecting something along basic six panel with engine instruments around it lines. However, excellent references, included in this WIP, convinced me otherwise. Unfortunately, I have no idea which available PE instrument panel would be suitable for conversion. However, using photos and drawings Franz75 found one can probably work something out. Cheers

Jure

Hi Jure

Thank you for your reply. I had a look at the link you have attached and from a first look it seems he has used an etched set designed for the Fairey Swordfish, though I have to admit, I have some second thoughts about it.

Hope in the future someone will produce either a set or a better kit.

Cheers

Shalako

Sorry I can’t help re suitable cockpit sets, but you probably won’t find a lot more references than that Harry Woodman article from SMI. I think there was an Ian Huntley column in SAM, way back when. No idea if any of the more recent mags had anything.

@ tempestfan

You're right.

It seems that after Matchbox no one else cared to make a kit for this very beautiful aircraft. I guess it has also to do with the fact that as an aircraft it didn't make an impact on aviation history like the Swordfish or, the Ar196 or other similar aircrafts.

Hi Garry,

Thank you very much for the link lad.

My first guess was that I could use the Fairey Swordfish cockpit as a basis to built the Seafox cockpit. This is why I have bought the Airwaves etched set a while ago.

And now your suggestion comes to confirm my guess.

As for the Vickers machine gun, I think High Planes produces it in 1/72. So, two of the most important areas/details are for now covered. Then, we have all the exterior details that need to be reproduced. Not to mention the rigging😠 - this is the worst part! Especially, in 1/72.

That's a lot of work!!!!

Again, many thanks for the link.

Cheers

Shalako

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply. I have  started the upper wing of the Matchbox kit ,never finished .

The ribs are overdone ,airfoil too flat, and the leading-edge slats are missing.

The nose looks wrong, the air intakes need to be opened up for that Fairey Seafox look.

The oil cooler on the top of the engine looks a lot like the one on the Swordfish.

Google Fairey Seafox images, there are some hi-res pictures available.

fairey-seafox-k4305-E3TC11.jpg

I hope you finish yours,

Garry c

Edited by Garry c

Ahhh, now you're making things even more difficult for me Garry!!!

After your last reply, I've realized that if I'm going to start building the Seafox I need to put on hold everything else I'm building right now and this because as a project it requires at least one year. 1 to 2 months to do a proper research and analysis, then gather all the necessary materials and then strategically start the construction!!! AND it's a 1/72 model which makes it even more difficult. You see I'm in my early forties and my vision has started to fade (presbyopia) !!!

• Like 1

Ahhh, now you also make things more difficult for me! I hear what you're saying about the cockpit however, as Garry has pointed out there are also a number of other details that need special treatment to make them look right and I'm not saying accurate, I'm saying right for the scale.

By the way, many thanks for the photos. I was surprised by the quality of the photos and the details shown for a 1937 magazine, especially with WWII so close to that year.

Nonetheless, with these photos I'm a step closer to deciding to research the subject and analyse what I have gathered so far in order to determine what needs to be done and where on the model. At least the paint job is straightforward, either silver, or camouflage pattern!

About the AMS. I know what you mean. I admit that I have it and it comes and goes depending on how much obsessed I am with a modelling subject.

Cheers

Shalako