SD-14 Cargo ship forward section by Kevin - 1/70 - CARD

Good afternoon everyone, and welcome to another of my currant builds, this is actually being built in three sections and each part will have its own log, the reason for this is that i an not sure how it will be displayed, BUT will not be going anywhere water and will be open up to display internals

SD14 General Cargo Ship.

Not So Much A Model, More A Ship-Building Experience

lnCmSDI.jpg

Sometimes known as the replacement for the famous "Liberty" ship, the 14,000 ton SD14 general cargo ships are found under many different names and flags in most of the world's ports and all of the high seas. The designation "SD14" denotes "Shelter Deck 14,000 tons". The shelter deck is the second or tween deck in the cargo spaces and, when the ship is loaded down to her plimsoll line, she displaces 14,000 tons.

By the mid 1960s, there remained some 700 Liberty and other war-built cargo ships still trading. Even the youngest were 20 years old and the question of a replacement was exercising the minds of ship owners and builders around the world. the emergence of bulk carriers and container ships pointed to the end of the "shelter Deck" design which had been used with little alteration since the turn of the century. Many felt that this design was no obsolete and that the future lay with containerisation.

It was, therefore, something of a surprise when ship builders all over the world unveiled their plans for the "liberty Ship Replacement", almost all of which offered a two-deck vessel of 14,000/15,000 tons deadweight. Doubtless this choice was influenced by the requirements of potential customers. Most of the war-built vessels were, by this time, being operated by Greek ship owners of limited resources to whom these new designs, for a type of vessel with which they were fully experienced and priced at about £1 million with cheap credit facilities, were very attractive.

A total of 30 designs were put forward as the "Liberty Ship Replacement" in the early months of 1966. Of these, the most successful was the SD14, developed by the Sunderland shipbuilders, Austin and Pickersgill. The first SD14 keel was laid on 8th. June 1967. Unusually, this was not at Austin and Pickersgill's own yard, but nearby at that of another Sunderland shipbuilder, Bartram's, who were building the ship under licence. The first ship, named Mimis N. Papalios, was launched on 1st. December 1967. She was also very nearly the first SD14 to be completed. However, Austin and Pickersgill managed to make up the leeway in their own building programme to hand over the first completed SD14, the Nicola, on 14th. February 1968, the Mimis N. Papalios following the next day.

Between 1968 and 1988, a total of 211 SD14s were completed and it is interesting to note that, by 1990, only 10 had been scrapped for commercial reasons, a further three going to the breaker's yard after marine accidents. Of the dozen vessels reported as sunk, at least two fell victim to missile attack during the Iran/Iraq conflict.

Like the original Liberty ships, which many thought would be scrapped as soon as the war was over, the SD14 was not ascribed a very long life by some early critics. Nevertheless, these ships are still in demand in the charter market, with average daily rates of $5,200 for a one-year time contract, and in the second hand market with prices ranging from $2.5m for an early seventies ship to $5.75m. for a newer example.

One guide to the success of the SD14 is to look at the movement of the 211 ships through the second-hand market. Most of the ships now sailing are with only their second owner, a few remaining with their original purchaser. The oldest SD14 in service is the Wave Crest, the vessel which, as the Mimis N. Papalios, missed by one day the distinction of being the first completed ship of her type.

FBpnbmW.jpg

The Model

In 1978, while attached to Manchester Docks, George Robinson, a retired Merchant Navy captain, hit on the idea of providing the port fire brigade with an easy-to-build model of the SD14. In this way, the trainee firemen could easily and quickly become familiar with the layout of the ship.

So, originated a 2-foot long, 1:70 scale model kit of the Forward section of the SD14. This first attempt met with such success that kits if the Midships and After sections followed in 1979, the complete model measuring an imposing 7 feet in length. Professional and international recognition followed in 1982 when the model won the "Shipwrights Model Competition" at the Guildhall in London.

Quite apart from sheer size, the kit is remarkable, for it is, in fact, put together in much the same way as the original was in Sunderland. Space here permits no more than a brief glimpse of what awaits the builder of this miniature leviathan.

The instructions, which, for the complete kit, run to about 60 pages, first explain that the model will be built by the dry dock method rather than on the slipway - the difference is clarified.

You then proceed to lay the shell bottom plates of the Forward section to form the double bottom, between the outer surface of the hull and the inner surface of the holds. On the original, the space in between in used for water ballast, necessary to keep the propellor submerged when there is no cargo and to maintain an even keel. This last expression, in such common and, I suspect , often unwitting, usage, is precisely defined.

The building progresses aft as the cargo holds are each constructed with transverse watertight bulkheads, hold pillars and centre line plates. There are even properly runged ladders on which to descend to the bowels of the vessel. In the After section, as well as a cargo hold, there is the engine room together with the propellor shaft tunnel and, by lifting up the after deck house, access is provided to the steering gear flat and the rudder stock.

In the bridge superstructure, containing the crew's accommodation, every cabin is accounted for. The crew's mess room, galley and smoke room are each separately delineated as are the linen locker, baggage room and officers' smoke room to mention but a few. The model also incorporates the correct ventilation trunk ways, the significance of which for cargo handling is explained.

In the course of construction, the instructions are supplemented by sections which explain the actual fabrication of the original, so that, as you work through the model, you learn about the SD14, how it was assembled and how it works.The operation of such components as MacGregor hatch covers, the keelson and camber in the original are fully expounded and you can then reproduce these to scale. Step-by-step diagrams illustrate the sequence of construction.

It is perhaps worth remembering that ships are machines, the largest ever built by man. So it is fascinating to see how this great machine works and to reproduce it in miniature at the same time. The correct nautical terms are used and explained, showing how each part of the ship functions and how the whole design draws on centuries of experience to produce the modern ocean-going vessel. If, like me, you have wondered what exactly is a "Tween Deck" and what is its purpose, you need wonder no more. All is revealed after which you can actually build one.

The kit is printed on 184 A3 sheets of top quality manilla card, there being approximately 4,500 pieces, and the modeller can choose to paint the model with an authentic colour scheme or one of his own choice. The three sections can be fixed together or left dismantled and the aft superstructure can be removed to give a glimpse of the various deck levels inside the hull. naturally, all the cargo hatches open to show the holds.

. The model can be made either for display or, with suitable waterproofing (see "Cutting Remarks" no. 3), can be sailed, there being space for R/C gear.

Although the original SD14 models were all sold out about 10 years ago, Marcle Models, under licence from George Robinson, reissues the SD14 kit. The complete kit, weighing over 17 lbs, is supplied in 6 cartons, complete with a tool kit and costs £280 including worldwide surface mail. The three sections, Forward, Midships and After, are each available separately at £105 each.

Should you decide to have a go, this, the "Non plus ultra of card (and perhaps any other type of) modelling, should keep you busy for about a year.

fuEcJTl.jpg

Christopher Cooke and Thomas Pleiner, with acknowledgements to George Robinson, John Lingwood and Ships Monthly. Article first appeared in "Cutting Remarks" No. 4, September 1992.

• Like 6

Good evening everyone

this is going to be my build log for the forward section of this kit, i have another for the midships section

On a previous attempt to build this, we had a disaster, which resulted in the whols lot going to land fill, even though it was only fractionally completed, but I vowed to attempt again in the future

To be worked on alongside the Victory and my HMS Fife build 

intentions are to build as 3 static displays with weathering, and led lighting

The sheets 180 of them are well printed and the instructions are very clear the kit came  from Model Dockyard 

eVDIsiQ.jpg

2i1RxgC.jpg

V149gsq.jpg6sg8kTQ.jpg

• Like 3

i started this a few weeks ago, as an attempt to get some modelling done during the week, as since start my new job 18 months ago i just seam to run out of time in the evenings, and is not an attempt to see how many large scale builds i can have going on at the same time.

i love my boat building but only doing it Saturdays and Sundays plus other domestic jobs around our home, i find quite sole destroying, as i am not able to get into a flow, this is something i can do indoor, with a minimum of mess and be indoors with the wife and doggie

The instructions are great, clear drawings of how it goes together but also explains why it is done that way and what the purpose of it is,

wFwXoXo.jpg

tools requited
base board, with a decent straight line drawn on to keep the centre line in check
knife with plenty of blades
decent scissors
pva glue, 
ruler
small clamps, i use crocodile clips

lots of patience

first of all i covered all the sheets in a pva solution so that it can all be painted at a later date without the fear of warping,(thats why some sheets have quite a sheen to them, this may help with weathering at the end of the build

sheets for the shell bottom plates (double hull)

Tvqdrf3.jpg

yi93sRj.jpg

frl4ZzM.jpg

xwt0V7e.jpg

vJ7avDm.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is not a model to be built by the faint-hearted!  What you have achieved so far Kevin (having been to your house and actually seen it)  has my greatest admiration. :worthy:

Now that I've put you up on a pedestal you can't back out on this! :wicked:

Mike

• Like 1

Always fancied this one - or maybe just the section with the bridge/accomodation, but too much like the real thing. Taking me way back to college days and Naval Architecture ... intercostal beams, etc, etc  - shudder!!

Edited by clipper
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, clipper said:

Always fancied this one - or maybe just the section with the bridge/accomodation, but too much like the real thing. Taking me way back to college days and Naval Architecture ... intercostal beams, etc, etc  - shudder!!

as it will be a cutaway build, i have to make a decision  some time as to what i would like to show, the mid ships section double bottom has already been completed

Thrice Wow!!!

Kevin - we need to talk!!  That mus be incredibly time consuming (I note your comments).  Having all your large builds going on at once........!!! 

Makes the rest of our efforts seem a bit half-hearted :clap2:

I'm absolutely fascinated.  It takes me back to the  wonderful ship models at the Science museum (sadly on longer on display) that have to be partly responsible for my meagre efforts!

Keep it coming

Rob

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Thrice Wow!!!

Kevin - we need to talk!!  That mus be incredibly time consuming (I note your comments).  Having all your large builds going on at once........!!! 

Makes the rest of our efforts seem a bit half-hearted :clap2:

I'm absolutely fascinated.  It takes me back to the  wonderful ship models at the Science museum (sadly on longer on display) that have to be partly responsible for my meagre efforts!

Keep it coming

Rob

Nothing half - hearted about any ones work what do you mean by being responsible ?

just letting you all catch up with my build, this is where i am as of yesterday

main tween deck girders were made and placed into position and painted

deh00lA.jpg

JlgyyA1.jpg

PbYnSIf.jpg

followed by the tie bars, which are supported by the frames

3fQneP9.jpg

oXjiCHw.jpg

sc7koHB.jpg

ZZXfkpf.jpg

infact the build does look far better than the phots suggest, the flash has washed out the red orcha paint,

Edited by Kevin Aris
  • Like 3

Rob i started her a couple weeks ago, but had no intention of showing any progress, as i felt people were getting bored of my posts,  especially as i have a few large builds going on, and i tend to start at stage 1 of a build but not  continue that way, and there fore there is no continuity in any thing i do,  and then i start to think of another project and so it goes on,   

the build slowly gets bigger, and with a combination of planning what needs to be painted and what will be removed at a later date, im quite pleased with it

TNX2VyQ.jpg

the tie bars on the stbd side are waiting for the frames to be put into place, then it will all be repainted 

• Like 1

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 21:14, KEVIN_ARIS said:

hBibWoD.jpg

Fascinating.  I don't think I'd have the patience to do something like this.

The photo above is especially interesting.  I was in a shipbuilders (full size) on Tuesday and while walking around their main manufacturing shed there was one of the fitters manoeuvring an aluminium plate just like that one into position.  Being very familiar with warship construction - but not merchant ship construction 9which this one was) I was curious why they used corrugated plates.  Now I can see!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Fascinating.  I don't think I'd have the patience to do something like this.

The photo above is especially interesting.  I was in a shipbuilders (full size) on Tuesday and while walking around their main manufacturing shed there was one of the fitters manoeuvring an aluminium plate just like that one into position.  Being very familiar with warship construction - but not merchant ship construction 9which this one was) I was curious why they used corrugated plates.  Now I can see!

not able to copy this photo so have posted the link, the bulk head shows up very well in one or two of them

https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1PQHB_enGB727GB742&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=PGVjW5SYEOuKgAbC0LOgBA&q=sd14+ship+construction+photo&oq=sd14+ship+construction+photo&gs_l=img.3...35829.47506.0.49073.11.9.2.0.0.0.48.417.9.9.0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.0.0....0.ipc4gz1qbVA

Edited by Kevin Aris

14 hours ago, PF Naughton said:

Hi,

This is a fascinating thread.  Thanks for sharing your build.  I can't wait to see more (and I wish I had the money to build this kit myself :P )

Pat

Pat 

Good morning

the three parts are available separately, yes i know its not cheap for just sheets of manilla card, But i have my own justification for buying them and that is, cost/time - £ph  lol which works out far less than a small bar of chocolate

https://www.model-dockyard.com/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?SS=sd14&ACTION.x=0&ACTION.y=0&page=search&PR=-1&TB=A

Good evening everyone
i have been doing quite a lot on the build over the last few days, and photo progress as i go along, but i dont quite know whats going wrong wrt to the photo quality when i come to do an update, out side has been quite bright with tge nice sunshine we have been having, inside is cool and dingy so the flash jumps in, and i think thats part of the problem, everything is being washed out with the light
anyway

99% of the frame up to the forward line of the cargo hatch, some has be left out so that i can work inside the cargo space
the tween deck was made away from the hull so that i could paint it before fitting
some led lighting has been fitted, as i was to be able to show it on completion
the deck is not fitted yet and needs some more work to allow that,also i am working out how to cut some of it out to display the structure

this is frame 138 with the after part of the wt bulkhead adapted now to hide the led lighting wires

MNIfrD2.jpg

most frames fitted and the tween deck still being worked on
GZSIFH2.jpg

tween deck and bulkhead in place but not fitted still quite a bit to do before that happens
c3jK1n7.jpg

and limited lighting, as i did nit want it looking like a show boat

ZsshROu.jpg822cbIA.jpg

Edited by Kevin Aris
  • Like 3

i am starting to get my head around working with card, and starting to enjoy it rather than having an attitude of its only card, 

well the tween deck has been laid and fits ok, can people please give their views on the cut out section, i hope to do this all over the build, but only if it looks ok to others,

pJ1xsvJ.jpg
Al32KrF.jpg

B38vjsj.jpg

• Like 1