GWH MiG-29 Luftwaffe

guillaume320

Hello,

I seem to remember the initial release of the GWH MiG-29 had some fit issues, especially on the engine nacelles. It appears GWH made some changes in subsequent releases to improve the fit.

I’m looking at this particular boxing:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/316805-great-wall-hobby-s4801-mig-29-9-12-late-type

Can anyone either confirm or deny those are the updated or original molds?

Regards,

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume, I can't exactly answer your question but I have built a couple of GWH Mig-29's. The fit issue is around the covers over the engines and can be seriously reduced by leaving out the whole engines and fitting the parts that will be seen. Along with some test fitting and sanding to fit. I didn't really see it as a major issue on any of my builds.

I've never heard it mentioned before that any adjustments have been made to the kit to allow for the issue and doubt it's been done.

Regards

Murray

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 7:53 AM, Muzz said:

I've never heard it mentioned before that any adjustments have been made to the kit to allow for the issue and doubt it's been done.

Speaking about adjustments done by GWH to their kits, I still remember the length issue related to the wing fuel tanks and pylons regarding the 9-12 Early and Late types. I've got the 9-13 boxing and it does appear my kit has got the shorter tanks and pylons. Was this issue ever addressed by GWH in subsequent boxings?

Cheers Muzz,

Unc2

2 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Speaking about adjustments done by GWH to their kits, I still remember the length issue related to the wing fuel tanks and pylons regarding the 9-12 Early and Late types. I've got the 9-13 boxing and it does appear my kit has got the shorter tanks and pylons. Was this issue ever addressed by GWH in subsequent boxings?

Cheers Muzz,

Unc2

Hi Uncle, I know the first 9-12 release had underscale pylons which was corrected. As far as the fuel tanks are concerned I’m pretty sure the tanks in my 9-12 and 9-13 kits are the same length, I was led to believe these tanks are correct as they are longer in length to those carried by other types such as the Su-25 Frogfoot.

Muzz

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 6:47 PM, Muzz said:

As far as the fuel tanks are concerned I’m pretty sure the tanks in my 9-12 and 9-13 kits are the same length, I was led to believe these tanks are correct as they are longer in length to those carried by other types such as the Su-25 Frogfoot.

Hi Muzz, my mate! :frantic:

Are you positive about that? I take it that the wing tanks on some issues of both the 9-12 and 9-13 kits were the short ones. This is the sprue where the wing tanks are:

9-135_zpsd2b45192.jpg

Check out the sprue gates round 'em; I learnt that if those tanks were inside the sprue gates, that indicated you've received the shorter - not correct ones. While the clear indication that your kit had the corrected tanks were that one portion of the tanks were made to fit outside the sprue gates, as seen on this piccy (check how the portions to the left are made to fit without sprue gate in front of it, to take the new length into account).

P9210634.jpg

And yet, there was another inaccuracy which had to do with the shape of the belly between the intake nacelles (piccy courtesy of Gabor):

centralpart1ang_zpse80f156b.jpg

Here's the whole thread, if you're in the mood to read:

Got the inaccurate GWH MiG-29 kits, bruh...? Learn more.

Cheers,

Unc2

Edited by Uncle Uncool
  • Like 1