57 Maserati Scratch Build

Hi All

I sort of dropped off the radar for a while (9 months) as life got in the way and I was tired of looking at the Maser.   I'd gone too far with it to abandon it however but a month ago my muse returned from vacation and got me going again.   I'll have to post the steps I went through to get it finished but in the meantime here's the finished project.   Before anyone yells at me ... I will get some yellow paint and do Fangio's stripe across the nose!   

Cheers   

Frank

29827415688_33b046eaaa_k.jpg

29826704838_fc22915487_k.jpg

29826706968_45086f8410_k.jpg

43649750962_20506f15e3_k.jpg

28807368257_dc115add0b_k.jpg

43649749392_e79ca336af_k.jpg

41888404190_6c83f3f122_k.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Kiwidave4 said:

Been waiting patiently for an update! That looks lovely, whats the next project?

Dave ... sorry to have kept you waiting!   Next project is still hazy but I'm thinking I might like to continue with these 50's GP cars and maybe do a Mercedes W196 open wheeler.    The streamlined version would be easier because I don't have to fabricate suspensions but that's a tricky body shape.   Actually I have another car to post that I finished since I abandoned the Maserati so I'll have to get the camera out again.

Thanks to all others who commented.   Much appreciated.

Frank

• Like 1

12 hours ago, albergman said:

Dave ... sorry to have kept you waiting!   Next project is still hazy but I'm thinking I might like to continue with these 50's GP cars and maybe do a Mercedes W196 open wheeler.    The streamlined version would be easier because I don't have to fabricate suspensions but that's a tricky body shape.   Actually I have another car to post that I finished since I abandoned the Maserati so I'll have to get the camera out again.

Thanks to all others who commented.   Much appreciated.

Frank

Look forward to seeing this mystery "other car"!

You could do the Streamliner that Fangio drove in the British GP. By the end of the race he had bounced off of so many oil drum course markers that the body looked decidedly second hand!

How about a bit of British Racing Green - a Vanwall or BRM P25? The latter ran Dunlop mags so you would not have to make wire wheels. The Vanwall also ran mags but they were Lotus 'Wobblies'

which upset the handling so not used a lot and more difficult to model. There again you dont seem to let difficult slow you down.

Dave

9 hours ago, Kiwidave4 said:

Look forward to seeing this mystery "other car"!

You could do the Streamliner that Fangio drove in the British GP. By the end of the race he had bounced off of so many oil drum course markers that the body looked decidedly second hand!

How about a bit of British Racing Green - a Vanwall or BRM P25? The latter ran Dunlop mags so you would not have to make wire wheels. The Vanwall also ran mags but they were Lotus 'Wobblies'

which upset the handling so not used a lot and more difficult to model. There again you dont seem to let difficult slow you down.

Dave

Thanks for the suggestions Dave.   Unfortunately the other 50's era cars never struck me as being very aesthetically attractive and I don't want to spend valuable time making something that doesn't appeal to me.   I think that's a sentiment that would apply to all modellers ... unless it's a paid commission.   So, I'll mull it over for a while.   My conscience keeps telling me to get back and finish any of the several cars lying abandoned ... maybe you know that feeling too.

The mystery car is just another Ferrari (375 MM) done in exotic woods with a natural finish.   I've done quite a few in this vein and they're a bit of a fish-out-of-water for this site being more of an artsy piece than the Maser was.

Here's a teaser ... made from padauk with black ebony stripe and windshield.

http://43023218284_a9dccdd26f_z.jpg

Frank

• Like 3

That looks like another stunner Frank! I'm sure many of us would appreciate seeing more of it - there are at least two w.i.p. threads on scratchbuilt wooden aircraft taking place on the site at the moment, & they're both popular!

Keith

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

That looks like another stunner Frank! I'm sure many of us would appreciate seeing more of it - there are at least two w.i.p. threads on scratchbuilt wooden aircraft taking place on the site at the moment, & they're both popular!

Keith

Thanks Keith

I do intend to do a WIP on it but it's more of a woodworking project than modelling.

I'll start with a Finished Model entry and see if anyone wants to see how I got there.  It's pretty much the identical build to my 57 TestaRossa.

Pics soon.

Frank

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, albergman said:

Thanks Keith

I do intend to do a WIP on it but it's more of a woodworking project than modelling.

I'll start with a Finished Model entry and see if anyone wants to see how I got there.  It's pretty much the identical build to my 57 TestaRossa.

Pics soon.

Frank

I think the dividing line between model and woodwork project is pretty fine. If the finished article looks like a car I would say its a model, - or perhaps a sculpture!

Personally I like your natural wood cars and I am sure I am not the only one who would like to see more off them, if only to admire the skill involved in their making.

Think I have told you before that the only thing I can make from a tree is firewood so your handiwork has me in awe.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Stunning work on all three of them though I must admit to being very taken by the red ones! I for one would be interested in any background details on their production. I have a great respect for any form of scratch-building.

Thanks for showing!
ATB
Rick

Edited by Spad
spelling

On 2/12/2019 at 2:58 AM, TGA said:

I think I may be in love now. What a beauty!!

2 hours ago, Spad said:

Stunning work on all three of them though I must admit to being very taken by the red ones! I for one would be interested in any background details on their production. I have a great respect for any form of scratch-building.

Thanks for showing!
ATB
Rick

Thanks guys.   There are WIP entries for the two red ones on BM ... Maserati and Lancia.

Other scratch builds:   Lancia D50   57 Ferrari Testa Rossa    54 Ferrari 375MM   Triumph TR6    Misc. Wooden Cars

Boats:   Trojan SF36    Dragon    Beneteau 51   Half-hull sailboats

Locomotive:   Flying Scotsman Steam Engine

• 2 months later...