Bristol Bloodhound - OO Scale ++FINISHED++

Looking good John - imagine that going off on bonfire night - it would certainly impress the neighbours I think ;)

If you do set it off in Heywood - don't point it towards Saddleworth though :lol:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Looking good John - imagine that going off on bonfire night - it would certainly impress the neighbours I think ;)

If you do set it off in Heywood - don't point it towards Saddleworth though :lol:

Oh I don't know Steve, that's dangerously close to being deepest Yorkshire to a Lancastrian. :lol: 

• Haha 4

This Bloodhound is looking smashingly good John. I've studied a few photo's and agree that I've never been able to confirm the scheme in which Airfx depict. It does make for a good looking model though so I'm glad you've gone that way.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

This Bloodhound is looking smashingly good John. I've studied a few photo's and agree that I've never been able to confirm the scheme in which Airfx depict. It does make for a good looking model though so I'm glad you've gone that way.

Cheers.. Dave

I found some images similar to the Airfix scheme shown here on the Airfield Research Group site Dave and there are some on our Walkaround section. of an example at the Norfolk & Suffolk Aviation Museum.  Looks like the ARG have similar photos.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the link John @nimrod54, perhaps my web searches were not wide enough. That's fairly close to what Airfix show, so even more reason to go with this scheme.

I quite fancy your modelling techniques, so please excuse me 'stalking' your posts - it's all for reseach and inspiration purposes only.  

Cheers..  Dave

• Like 3

This is looking really good.  I remember making one of these with the Hercules, must have been for my 7th or 8th birthday.  I seem to recall the whole thing - missile, trailer, landy and C130 - probably took no more than a couple of days to complete.  Oh how things have moved on!  Mine certainly looked nothing like as good as this.

On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 23:05, nimrod54 said:

I have recently acquired HMS Ajax, another kit I made many years ago after watching Battle of the River Plate. I remember that I didn't paint it and there was more than likely glue in places that it shouldn't have been, so I should make a better job of it this time around but I think that I will have to keep it for the Airfix II GB.

I've been after a couple of those for ages.  just missed one on Fleabay about 6-8 weeks ago for a sensible price but the ones on there now are starting to push the bounds of what I would deem reasonable for a kit that I will throw at least 50% away and replace with plasticard

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I've been after a couple of those for ages.  just missed one on Fleabay about 6-8 weeks ago for a sensible price but the ones on there now are starting to push the bounds of what I would deem reasonable for a kit that I will throw at least 50% away and replace with plasticard

I was fortunate enough to find one at a price I was willing to pay, but I was searching for quite a while before I dropped on it on the Kingkit site. As you say those on that well known auction site go for silly money.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

In between drying times on the Firefly, I have been working on the Land Rover for this build. I have made a number plate and added a roundel using spare 1/144 decals. The plate numbers are a tad oversize so I have had to trim the plate as close to them as possible, but it looks OK. I have also decided that I will have to do some work to the openings on the windscreen, and then figure out the best way of glazing the openings. Here are all the major parts almost completed, once finished I will have to think about how I want to display them.

43783551964_22f86b5bc7_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

43783552554_77fa36de9a_c.jpg%5B

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 10

3 hours ago, BIG X said:

Hey John - What have you used for the headlights?

Hi Steve, they are lenses from the Little-Cars range and come in a variety of colours and shapes with sizes ranging from 1mm to 5mm. I used a couple of the 1.5mm lenses on this Landy, if you scroll past the wire in the above link you should find what you need. HTH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi, just read through and caught up with your build. Nice work, it all looks very smart. I love the Landy, looks great. I made a few of these as a lad, but of course they are long gone. I don't think I have one in the stash either, so may have to pick one up next time I come across it, if only for the Landrover (and the dog!).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Hi Steve, they are lenses from the Little-Cars range and come in a variety of colours and shapes with sizes ranging from 1mm to 5mm. I used a couple of the 1.5mm lenses on this Landy, if you scroll past the wire in the above link you should find what you need. HTH

Hi John,

I do use the same ones - from the same guy - I used some on my ambulances and lorries - but over-sprayed with matt varnish to dull them down a bit.  I just wondered if you had a another source as they only come 6 in a pack and are pretty pricey for what they are.  I saw an A4 sheet full in Hobbycraft - hundreds of the beggars for about a fiver.  I have to say though that these were 'faceted' - so not quite the same thing - however I wonder if a little googling might work.  Don't get me wrong - I'm not tight and I don't begrudge Paul at Little Cars making a profit - he is in business after all - I just think there could be more in a pack - or a few bob less.

Smashing work - keep it up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Hi John,

I do use the same ones - from the same guy - I used some on my ambulances and lorries - but over-sprayed with matt varnish to dull them down a bit.  I just wondered if you had a another source as they only come 6 in a pack and are pretty pricey for what they are.  I saw an A4 sheet full in Hobbycraft - hundreds of the beggars for about a fiver.  I have to say though that these were 'faceted' - so not quite the same thing - however I wonder if a little googling might work.  Don't get me wrong - I'm not tight and I don't begrudge Paul at Little Cars making a profit - he is in business after all - I just think there could be more in a pack - or a few bob less. 

Smashing work - keep it up.

Hi Steve

I only use a few on my aircraft builds and have had the clear ones for quite a few years, in fact they came in packs of eight when I bought them. I can see that it would get expensive very quickly for your needs. I'm sure that there must be something available out there on't'internet, the problem is knowing which category it falls under in the 'mysterious world of crafting'.  :D

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi John

Congratulations on a superb build, whilst the Bloodhound is very impressive, I think the Landrover steals the show.

cheers Pat

7 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Have to agree with Pat, that little Landy is a charming model.  :coolio:

Thanks a lot guys, I still have a bit of work to do before I can call this one finished though. I will add some acetate to the Landy windows and then there are the 'irks', Officer, @Smudge's Snow Drop and a dog to paint too. :D

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I have spent the last few days working on glazing the Land Rover and getting some paint on the figures, I still have to paint details like ties, hat bands, badges and buttons on those. I have removed the officer from the base and I think that I will do that with the remainder. I am still not sure about the green of the canvas on the Land Rover and I may repaint that in a Blue-Grey as a contrast to the RAF Blue. Once I have finished all of that I will figure out the best way of displaying everything. 

43285353990_d088eb4106_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

45098781881_4248a1dd4d_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Looking great buddy. 

Cheers bud, I have been searching for photos of the launch site and those that I have found seem to be octagonal in shape but I'm not sure if those are for Mk.2 Bloodhounds. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TonyW said:

That's such a crisp and clean build. A beautiful job indeed. Even the crew actually look like real people, something that mine never did.

Thanks a lot Tony. I don't normally add crew figures but decided that this could look a bit sparse without them. I spent this afternoon giving them a dark wash to try and pick out some of the detail and I have also removed the bases.

• Like 2

I have been busy working on the base for this over the weekend, starting with concrete section for the launcher. This is a piece of sheet plastic that I trimmed to shape using a section of an octagonal template drawn out on graph paper. I then primed it with Halfords Grey Plastic Primer and once dry I brushed some beige and brown acrylics over the grey in thin layers to create a patchy look. I then went over this with a mist coat of Halfords Racking Grey to give a reasonable look of concrete, the grass area is from a roll Gaugemaster Spring Grass. I have also repainted the Land Rover's canvas with RAF Blue which gives a nice contrast against the satin coated bodywork.

Just a few bits of painting and some final tidying of the parts over the next couple of days should have this one finished. This will be the last group of progress photos before my final update.

44439119664_018efc48e7_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

44439114714_de1d8680ae_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

44439115554_5332c31f6a_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

30222721317_8a87a51443_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

44439117584_d959d77c9b_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr 

And a shot of how I plan to lay things out.

44439118814_e60c87382e_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Edited by nimrod54
  • Like 8

I made more progress than I had expected today, so I can now declare this one complete, That also wraps up my builds for this GB and what a lot of fun it has been. Whilst it has not been possible for me to comment on a lot of the builds, I have really enjoyed watching all of them come together. Until the next time Happy Modelling.

44270064085_e7d1f4cddb_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

45131789652_3ffcdb671a_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

45131787582_bd17588173_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 11