New 1/72 metal-wing Hurricane I from Arma Hobby -- Released!

Procopius

The profile is wrong.... 

Note also the serial is painted out and it does not have the little tropical vents below the cockpit....

There is a reason for my sig line....

Hurricane_Ian_Gleed_87_sqd_nose_flash.jp

This also shows the little flash behind the nose ring, 

This is the famous in flight shot,nose in shadow

60a836afc4a0cd6395f6a88bb4b409c3--hawker

Of note is the very flaky and pale roundel of the photographer's plane.

Hurricane+Mk.I+V7225+LK-T.jpg

In the winter of 40/41 the plane got painted black.Gleed_Hurri_P2798_Night_scheme.jpg

Note retention of nose flash and red spinner.

I've seen this as pale blue as well.... Hasegawa did that one.... 

HTH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

The profile is wrong.... 

Note also the serial is painted out and it does not have the little tropical vents below the cockpit....

There is a reason for my sig line....

Hurricane_Ian_Gleed_87_sqd_nose_flash.jp

This also shows the little flash behind the nose ring, 

This is the famous in flight shot,nose in shadow

60a836afc4a0cd6395f6a88bb4b409c3--hawker

Of note is the very flaky and pale roundel of the photographer's plane.

Hurricane+Mk.I+V7225+LK-T.jpg

In the winter of 40/41 the plane got painted black.Gleed_Hurri_P2798_Night_scheme.jpg

Note retention of nose flash and red spinner.

I've seen this as pale blue as well.... Hasegawa did that one.... 

HTH

Also note the six stub exhausts!!!!!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Andre B said:

One month left to go...

I really hopes that this kit doesn't share fit, shape and research problems related with the SMER / Master Craft P-51B...

/ André

Why would it? That's a rather random wish.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

Why would it? That's a rather random wish.

Well, is there an accurate P-51B yet in 1/72? Have Revell ever made an accurate Spitfire yet in 1/72? Or have you seen and built an Arma Hurricane Mk. l and can say for sure it is accurate? As I wrote it is an hope that it is accurate...

13 minutes ago, Andre B said:

Well, is there an accurate P-51B yet in 1/72? Have Revell ever made an accurate Spitfire yet in 1/72? Or have you seen and built an Arma Hurricane Mk. l and can say for sure it is accurate? As I wrote it is an hope that it is accurate...

There isn't a great P-51B, I agree, but this isn't a kit of one. And it's also not a Spitfire, or made by Revell, or SMER. These are totally irrelevant comparisons. 

"I hope this banana from the grocery store isn't rotten like the kiwi I got from a totally different grocery store ten years ago." 

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Procopius said:

There isn't a great P-51B, I agree, but this isn't a kit of one. And it's also not a Spitfire, or made by Revell, or SMER. These are totally irrelevant comparisons. 

"I hope this banana from the grocery store isn't rotten like the kiwi I got from a totally different grocery store ten years ago." 

I share the great expectations about this kit as anyone. But we have all seen expectations falling down to nothing in the past. How many times havn't we seen new kits with lot of mouldflash to clean up and ejectormarks on the wrong side and/or place on important parts that is hard to take care of.

For sure hopes is that this kit is something good that share size and shape with the best parts of the Airfix Mk. I or even better...

/André

Arma Hobby has published a review of the film “Hurricane: Squadron 303” here.

It seems it will premier in the UK on 7th September. Does anyone know if it will be showing in other European countries?

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

New news any day now?

Meanwhile Arma Hobby's other kit of the PZL P.11c in 1/72 has showed good experiences in Sweden (some nice pictures att IPMS Stockholm's "buildthread").

http://www.ipmsstockholm.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10260

/André

Edited by Andre B

• 2 weeks later...

New articles from Arma Hobby blog.

Hurricane Mk I Model Kit Development

The release of the Hurricane Mk I model kit is very close. So we have started a series of articles about model features, colour schemes and pilot’s stories. Today first – list of changes in model design made in the „last minute” before tooling.

Hurricane I – photoetched parts and decals

Hurricane Mk I Expert set model kit contains additional accessories for upgrading plastic parts: photo-etched parts sheet and canopy masks. Today we start to look closer at the model. And the accessories included are presented first.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 30/9/2018 at 20:48, Fin said:

So, still no five spoke wheels?

5 spoke wheels were only used on the L**** and N**** serial planes, that lack the starboard rectangular side hatch,  the kit represents the standard BoB Mk.I,  with the side hatch and 4 spoke wheels, so 5 spoke are not needed.

Post 5,801 for me....  I need to get out more...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nick Nichols said:

I'm guessing a cut out to accommodate the thickness of the canopy moulding? A common feature on many Hurricane kits. I'm also guessing then, that having the canopy in the open position is not an option. 

Steve

• Like 1

Short of having a flexible canopy to true scale thickness, it is impossible to produce a Hurricane kit that has an accurate shape with the canopy either open or shut.  This is because the real thing is flexible, with the base widening as it slides back and the whole thing rising slightly.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Nick Nichols said:

Yes, but the solution to the problem at Airfix seems to me more correct

and, as a result the Airfix canopy, and windscreen are too high, which look even stranger.  I'll edit in some pics later if need be.

pics in link

If you want an open hood, get a vacform canopy and fill the step. 

Edited by Troy Smith
add link
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

5 spoke wheels were only used on the L**** and N**** serial planes, that lack the starboard rectangular side hatch,  the kit represents the standard BoB Mk.I,  with the side hatch and 4 spoke wheels, so 5 spoke are not needed.

We (you) have already established that earlier:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235041351-new-172-metal-wing-hurricane-i-from-arma-hobby/&do=findComment&comment=3096623

Plenty of machines that need the 5 spoke wheels, including those of foreign operators. Just because Arma Hobby will - initially? - include decals for the "standard BoB Mk.I" only does it mean other MK.Is shouldn`t be considered? A side panel can be (super) easily filled. The wheels would need to be bought separately as a resin aftermarket, though.