Jump to content

New 1/72 metal-wing Hurricane I from Arma Hobby -- Released!


Procopius

Recommended Posts

  • 4 months later...

Does anyone know if there is any difference between the plastic included in the 70021 Hurricane Mk I Trop:

https://www.armahobby.com/70021-hurricane-mk-i-trop-model-kit.html

And those of previous editions, like 70019 Hurricane Mk I Expert Set:

https://www.armahobby.com/70019-hurricane-mk-i-expert-set.html

or they`re actually the same sprues with diferrent decals (pe, maks etc.).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Fin said:

Does anyone know if there is any difference between the plastic included in the 70021 Hurricane Mk I Trop:

https://www.armahobby.com/70021-hurricane-mk-i-trop-model-kit.html

And those of previous editions, like 70019 Hurricane Mk I Expert Set:

https://www.armahobby.com/70019-hurricane-mk-i-expert-set.html

or they`re actually the same sprues with diferrent decals (pe, maks etc.).

 

Same sprues with different decals mate :) 

 

Cheers, 

 

Stew

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

Here are markings from the kit:

  • Hurricane Mk.I V7118/ UZ-V, 306 Squadron PAF. Tern Hill, March 1941.
  • Hurricane Mk.I V6941/ WX-W, 302 Squadron PAF. Northolt, October 1940.
  • Hurricane Mk.I P3707/ NN-A, 310 (Czechoslovak) Squadron RAF. Duxford, October 1940.
  • Hurricane Mk.I XR-S, 71 Eagle Squadron RAF. Serial overpainted, probably P3664. Kirton-in-Lindsey, March 1941. Pilot F/O Stanley Michel "Mike" Kolendorski.

Last one is especially interesting: US Citizen of Polish origin, US crest (decal No 24) on the right side of cowling, Polish insignia under cockpit. Many thanks for Grzegorz Cieliszak for research.

 

spacer.png

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I notice that there are two sets of stencils and IPs on the decals. Does that mean its going to be a double kit?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

Does that mean its going to be a double kit?

I don't think so, Arma have given extra stencil sets in other kits with just one set of mouldings. If you've bought a few sets of overtrees then they're really handy as you can use them to make a second option from the decals sheet.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Wojtek Bulhak said:

 

Last one is especially interesting: US Citizen of Polish origin, US crest (decal No 24) on the right side of cowling, Polish insignia under cockpit. Many thanks for Grzegorz Cieliszak for research.

 

 

Kolendorski's plane was not known until now. The markings are based on snapshots from the film, which in various versions can be found online. http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/view/5c0c05b8e10443c9a48f184fec0ebb35?subClipIn=00:00:00&subClipOut=00:01:21

 

 

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/VLVAB9BL7QBKU57KY6PVB2UKBT5RF-DEFENCE-AMERICAN-PILOTS-FROM-EAGLE-SQUADRON-AND-CZECH-PILOTS/query/eagle

 

 

 QUaBKOq.png

yfvSBak.png

 

vo3ABLA.png

 

taivhMZ.png

 

Edited by Bigos
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Paul J said:

I notice that there are two sets of stencils and IPs on the decals. Does that mean its going to be a double kit?

 

It means you can buy this kit with so called "overtrees" in our shop to build two models: link

See deal packages below the pictures on kit page please.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, jan_cz said:

New ltd. edition boxing - ref. 70044 - Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIb trop

Source: https://www.armahobby.com/70044-hurricane-mk-ii-b-trop-model-kit.html

 

With the usual two markings:

Hurricane IIb BE400 "Z" of 318sqn during the "Virile" exercise in Palestine in Oct 1943

Hurricane IIb Z5659 "WK-C" of 135sqn, P/O Jack Storey in Mingaladon Burma, Feb 1942

 

spacer.png

 

 

spacer.png

 

 

Whats the significance of the two white stripes on the port wing. Would they be used for Unit/Theatre I.D. ? Thats the first I’ve ever heard/seen those ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Whats the significance of the two white stripes on the port wing. Would they be used for Unit/Theatre I.D. ? Thats the first I’ve ever heard/seen those ? 

I think they are exercise markings.  I believe this aircraft was used during exrecises with a Polish division in Palestine or thereabouts.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Another version coming soon! 🙂

 

This time it is Hurricane Mk. I Trop "Western Desert". For now all that we know is that it will have 3 RAF markings and one Free French (depicted on the box art).

 

My guess at the smaller ones on the side is that it might be

No. 73/208/274 sqn with a blue lightning (possibly the 208th)

N. 73 sqn TP-S, V7455

and one more

 

White 6 FFAF, Z4426

 

It complements nicely the earlier boxing of Mk. I Trop, which features the P3731 "J" that was on HMS Argus and flew over Malta

 

big_70026-box.jpg?lm=1630674463

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Arma has added the schemes to the  Hurricane Mk I Trop 'Western Desert'

  • Z4615/ 6 Groupe de Chasse "Alsace", El Gamil, June 1942 (I think the link is to the right one given the artwork)
  • V7544/TP-S, 73 sqn, P/O James Eric "Jas" Storrar, Gazala, February 1941
  • P2638, 274 sqn, Gerawala, April-May 1941
  • V7770/OS-A, 3sqn RAAF, F/O John Francis Jackson, Benina, February 1941

Jan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And one more :)

 

Eduard is doing a Dual Combo titled 'Hurristory', to be released in October. Arma is also selling it with some package deals...but more importantly they also give us a glimpse of the artwork...

They are listing it at €35

 

spacer.png

 

Jan

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, jan_cz said:

but more importantly they also give us a glimpse of the artwork...

It was in their newsletter .pdf

 

anyway,  they are still showing the same art as in the pdf

big_H1-ed-colours.jpg?lm=1631609729

 

Note, you can't build YB-f accurately from the supplied kit,  they have missed the fin flash on LE-A, and are showing 2 JX-B,  and it's not exactly the most original/interesting set of decal options either.....   And, yes, I have posted this before as well.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Hurricane with codes JX-B from the 1 RAF Squadron pilot F/L Clowes. I can't tell on the above photo's but the reason for two I'm thinking is the Hornet under the exhaust pipes had a stripe painted on for each aircraft that Clowes shot down so maybe different amount of stripes. Read that is what the pilot did. I have seen photo's of two different stripe counts on the Hornet but maybe a made up story which I hope a RAF ace expert says yes or no on the story.

 

Rick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, rickpeck said:

The Hurricane with codes JX-B from the 1 RAF Squadron pilot F/L Clowes. I can't tell on the above photo's but the reason for two I'm thinking is the Hornet under the exhaust pipes had a stripe painted on for each aircraft that Clowes shot down so maybe different amount of stripes. Read that is what the pilot did. I have seen photo's of two different stripe counts on the Hornet but maybe a made up story which I hope a RAF ace expert says yes or no on the story.

 

Rick

I have read the same story.  Hardly worth two profiles, i think it's just a mess up, like LE-A having no fin flash,  not that there is a photo of LE-A tail.  (apparently there are 3 more photos of LE-A in private collection in Canada showing more of the plane)

 

It was  more a comment that it's a uninspiring package,  FWIW, I did email Eduard and suggest that there are other options,  there were P series Hurricanes in France,  73 Sq had them with rudder stripes,  there are photos of V series Mk.I's with the bullet Rotol, I know of 3 with serials and codes, the bullet Rotol in in the kit.

Make that 4, there is one with 257 Sq, in the formation take off photo, flown by a Pole,  the decals have the DT, and another code letter and serial... and another option...

 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/09/2021 at 15:41, jan_cz said:

The September Eduard Info changed the list of camouflages. Instead of the second JX-B it has a GN-A (P3576) from 249sqn, Fl/Lt J.B. Nicolson.

Interesting, I don't think any confirmed photos of that exist, but there was an useful thread on it a few years ago (Make that 6!)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...