New 1/72 metal-wing Hurricane I from Arma Hobby -- Released!

Procopius

On 10/29/2019 at 6:07 PM, Troy Smith said:

The Finnish and Romanian Hurricanes need the DH Spitfire prop. 

For at least the Finnish ones 5-spoke wheels are needed. Also armoured seat back was installed to them quite soon.

Cheers,

AaCee

Edge,

I don't think so, at least not anytime soon. The ventral extension under the tail is moulded into the fuselage sides on the Mk.I and according to the CAD will be also on Mk.II. A Sea model would thus likely require a new fuselage mould. It is possible that Arma will decide to make those and thus open up the range of Sea Hurris, but we'll have to see.

One might be able to use the fuselage plug from the Revell Sea Hurris or carve in the trenches for the hook.

Jan

• Like 1

Am I the only one wondering whether you could fit the wing from the Mk.1 kit to the Mk.IIC to give a IIA or with a bit of judicious scribing, a IIB?

22 minutes ago, Wez said:

Am I the only one wondering whether you could fit the wing from the Mk.1 kit to the Mk.IIC to give a IIA or with a bit of judicious scribing, a IIB?

The front part of the wing is slightly different, as is the carb intake position.

You could, but then you end up two not very useful Hurricane leftovers,  unless you want to make the one cannon armed Mk.I from the BoB, or the (not made in any quantity despite what every Hurricane book says) , the Sea Hurricane IC

I suspect, unless you need a IIa NOW, then Arma, will issues a IIb in the not distant future, plenty of a Polish units used the IIa/b,  and they way they are going, Arama look like they are going to own the 72nd Hurricane market...

If you are up for a bit of filling an scribing, I'd try rescribing the IIc wings first.  If that fails, then cross kit. 

• Like 1

Just now, Troy Smith said:

The front part of the wing is slightly different, as is the carb intake position.

You could, but then you end up two not very useful Hurricane leftovers,  unless you want to make the one cannon armed Mk.I from the BoB, or the (not made in any quantity despite what every Hurricane book says) , the Sea Hurricane IC

I suspect, unless you need a IIa NOW, then Arma, will issues a IIb in the not distant future, plenty of a Polish units used the IIa/b,  and they way they are going, Arama look like they are going to own the 72nd Hurricane market...

If you are up for a bit of filling an scribing, I'd try rescribing the IIc wings first.  If that fails, then cross kit. 

Useful advice Troy and as I'm in no hurry to engage on such a project right now I'm content to wait.  FWIW, I think you're right, Arma are going to have the 1/72nd metal wing Hurricane market cornered.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seboo said:

Pre-order available:

http://www.armahobby.com/70035-hawker-hurricane-mk-iic-expert-set.html

No free overtrees this time it seems.

Dang - free overtrees might have been enough to make me a buyer!

John

Edited by John Thompson
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, jan_cz said:

Edge,

I don't think so, at least not anytime soon. The ventral extension under the tail is moulded into the fuselage sides on the Mk.I and according to the CAD will be also on Mk.II. A Sea model would thus likely require a new fuselage mould. It is possible that Arma will decide to make those and thus open up the range of Sea Hurris, but we'll have to see.

One might be able to use the fuselage plug from the Revell Sea Hurris or carve in the trenches for the hook.

Jan

Thanks Jan.

What a shame. I'll still get one in the hope that selling lots of kits will encourage Arma to roll that Navalised fuselage!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wez said:

You’d be better off using the wing center section from the IIc and the wing panels outboard of the dihedral break from the I. Not sure there is much you could do with the leftovers short of sticking them on an Airfix Queen Mary recovery trailer.

8 minutes ago, Wulfman said:

I have been modelling for 60 years and don’t remember a mk.lla ever being kitted, I would love to see one from Arma.

Fly models produce a Mk IIa hurricane.

Rio

19 minutes ago, Wulfman said:

I have been modelling for 60 years and don’t remember a mk.lla ever being kitted, I would love to see one from Arma.

the Monogram 1/48th kit from the 60's is closest to a Mk.IIa (despite being usually done as a IIc or IId) as it has the right wing panels.

Hasegawa have done a Mk.IIa,  in 1/48th, using their B wing, with instructions to sand off the outer gun bay panels, which are slightly raised.

They may well have done the same in in 72nd as well.

• Like 1

^ But that just sounds like "do a little bit of modelling" and you'll have the version you want. Surely there's no need to have every version, marque or sub-series produced ready made? If it's as simple as removing panel lines or cutting off a couple of guns, some self help is all that's needed.

Jeff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

But that just sounds like "do a little bit of modelling" and you'll have the version you want. Surely there's no need to have every version, marque or sub-series produced ready made? If it's as simple as removing panel lines or cutting off a couple of guns, some self help is all that's needed.

Oh yes, I'm not saying it's a problem. It's very easy to convert. Just saying that technically it's not a IIa.

John.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Arma Hobby are releasing their splendid Hurricane I in a Battle of Britain 80th anniversary limited edition.  The kit contains markings for four aircraft from 249, 87, 303 (Polish) and 257 Squadrons although, the latter is in the post Battle markings of Bob Tuck!

https://www.armahobby.com/70023-hurricane-mk-i-battle-of-britain-limited-edition.html

Rather excitingly, in a previous newsletter they sent me they hinted about news of a two new projects in the pipeline.  No details at all as they are waiting for a more defintive release dates so are keeping it under thier collective hat for now.  Let the speculation begin!!

• Like 1

Tip: do check the bottom of the page, they offer extra sprues as well in a combo package to make the most of the decal sheet :) 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2019 at 10:44 PM, Troy Smith said:

Hasegawa have done a Mk.IIa,  in 1/48th, using their B wing, with instructions to sand off the outer gun bay panels, which are slightly raised.

They may well have done the same in in 72nd as well.

Hasegawa kit ref. 51338 (1/72nd scale) although labeled as "Hurricane Mk.I late type Battle of Britain" was providing the wrong sprue for the nose (it was the longer, Mk. II sprue) and a "b" wing; at least the one I had...

In my case, as I was after a MK.Ia, converting the "b" wing to "a" spec was easy, the nose was a different story...

5001_003 5002_03

Cut the nose off right at the face of it’s rear bulkhead, trim forward wing root fairing to fit — and their you have it!

2 hours ago, mack said:

Hasegawa kit ref. 51338 (1/72nd scale) although labeled as "Hurricane Mk.I late type Battle of Britain" was providing the wrong sprue for the nose (it was the longer, Mk. II sprue) and a "b" wing; at least the one I had...

In my case, as I was after a MK.Ia, converting the "b" wing to "a" spec was easy, the nose was a different story...

5001_003 5002_03