New 1/72 metal-wing Hurricane I from Arma Hobby -- Released!

Procopius

2 hours ago, Jeff.K said:

@Procopius is that the photoetch? 

the ones flying my way are overtrees. i'll be doing Yahu panels rather than trying to do what you did with the plastic... 

Ah! my mistake.

On 12/11/2018 at 11:32 PM, caughtinthemiddle said:

But have you seen the photo of the actual part, or are talking just to talk? The sink mark is rather prominent. And your rant sounds rather surprising given the comments you've made about this kit in the past f.e. on the Arma blog, which would indicate a different approach than described in your post above.

My 1st Arma #70020 Model Kit (called "Junior" Hurricane some time ago) has arrived today. And believe me or not (photos can be sent on PM) it's absolutely free of sink marks - both dashboard and coolant radiator do look like they should. I'm totally astonished and delighted with quality of moulds, instructions, decals and even the box. That's the best 1/72 Hurricane on the market by a huge margin!

Cheers

Michael

• Like 8

A bit late to the party perhaps, but I finally picked my "expert" boxing up from the Royal Mail office yesterday. As with Michael and others above, I'm frankly blown away by the quality and detail. Make no bones about it - this kit is Tamiya quality in the box - incredibly crisp, delicate detailing, superb attention to detail (raised "Dunlop" on the tyres, and they've got the offset tailfin right!) and thoughtful engineering. Quite a debut from a "short-run" company!

Only two tiny, tiny negatives: it would have been nice to have a poseable rudder, and a bit of tissue paper for the decals (there's some slight chipping on my upperwing roundels where they've stuck to the instructions)

Now Mr. Arma...please could you tool 1/72nd kits of every single aircraft type used by the RAF and FAA in WW2, to the same quality?

Or failing that, every type conceivably flown by a Polish airman in British service? Thanks...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Vulcanicity said:

Now Mr. Arma...please could you tool 1/72nd kits of every single aircraft type used by the RAF and FAA in WW2, to the same quality?

Or failing that, every type conceivably flown by a Polish airman in British service? Thanks...

That would include a number of postwar types as well as WWII if you consider Jerzy 'Joe' Kmiecik.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

That would include a number of postwar types as well as WWII if you consider Jerzy 'Joe' Kmiecik.

And the great Janusz Żurakowski.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Learstang said:

I'd settle for an Il-2 Shturmovik in Polish markings. In 1/72nd scale, of course.

Regards,

Jason

Two ways are possible - either backdate the Tamiya kit to the straight wing configuration or make the "arrow" wings for the Academy one :)

Academy and Tamiya side by side don't look like siblings, although each of them "solo" looks like genuine Il-2.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 2

I've built both of those Il-2 kits, and they're nice kits, but I'd love to see someone do a new-mould of a wooden-winged, straight-winged two-seater. The old Dakoplast kit is also a nice kit, and has the wooden wings, but it's getting hard to find in its original boxing, and its re-boxings, such as Eastern Express, are also somewhat difficult to find.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

Never mind IL-2s, what the modelling world is really crying out for is a brand new Halifax in 1/72. Or Oxford Or Anson. Or Wellington III. Or...you get the picture!

(Yes, an IL-2 would also be welcome!)

• Like 2

Given that the recent Revell Hercules Halifax is pretty good, with a few tweaks like the ailerons and the mainwheels, I don't hear any vast outcry.  There are more than a few mutterings about a Merlin one...  If there is any one type I see more moans about than any other, it's a P-51B.

If there's one WW2 type that's really badly represented, it's a Yak 9.

If you restrict yourself to important British types, the Manchester.

But widening the net, where's the Scimitar?

All 1/72, of course.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

Looks like DK Decals are to release a couple of decal sheets for the Hurricane I.  The first one will have 15 options.  No details yet as to which aircraft.

Please be Hurricane I aces.

• Like 5

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 8:57 PM, Procopius said:

Poland to US mail is, regrettably not (or almost never) trackable once it enters this country. I received my kits on the third of this month and have begun building them. 

UK to US post can be trackable though :)

thanks
Mike

• Like 1

There are some rumours that next boxing (72021) will be the tropical Mk.I "including some new parts".

What parts do you think as the Vokes filter is there on the sprues already?

Will it be "Expert Set" or just a "Model Kit"? EDITED: Definitely a "Model Kit" (thus not very expensive) :)

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
new info added

1 hour ago, KRK4m said:

There are some rumours that next boxing (72021) will be the tropical Mk.I "including some new parts".

Will it be "Expert Set" or just a "Model Kit"?

Cheers

Michael

I'd like to see a Hurricat, complete with a section of the catapult. The kit would need the catapult spools but no arrestor hook since these aircraft were meant to make for the nearest land or ditch.

Hurricat-on-CAM-launcher-1941-595x438.jp

• Like 2

15 hours ago, KRK4m said:

Will it be "Expert Set" or just a "Model Kit"?

Cheers

Michael

rumor has it that tropical mk. 1 will be released in March. 

source: http://www.armahobby.com/70021-hurricane-mk-i-trop-model-kit.html

yesterday i got the overtrees (6) i pre-ordered in December and a second order, made a month later, of 1 expert set hurricane, an expert set PZL. P7, and an expert set PZL. P.11 (expert set's now sold out but i expect they'll do a new boxing in the not too distant future. 

gorgeous kit really. very impressed that such a small operation can produce such an impressive kit. panel lines are closer to Hasegawa than the deep canals on new tool Airfix (c'mon Airfix, if Arma can get it right, with your resources you can too). 

Edited by Jeff.K
i typed "than" 'twice in a row ><
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

DK Decals have announced another two decal sheets for the Hurricane I and Sea Hurricane I.  No other details than what can be seen on the headers.  One of them shows a Mk I from 17 Squadron with the winged Popeye and an all black Mk I from, I think, 151 Squadron with a Kiwi silver fern motif on the nose.  There's also McKnights skeleton artwork from 242 Sqaudrom. Happy days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Source: http://www.armahobby.com/70021-hurricane-mk-i-trop-model-kit.html

Expected in March 2019 - ref. 70021 - Hawker Hurricane Mk.I Trop

Set contains Plastic parts Techmod decals - 3 markings options Masks – template for making them yourself from masking tape Markings

• Hawker Hurricane MkI Trop, P3731/J, 261 Squadron RAF, Malta 1940/41;
  • Hawker Hurricane MkI Trop, V7476, (A60-1), No 1 Communication Unit & Central Flying School, Australia 1942-44;
  • Hawker Hurricane MkI Trop, V7476, (A60-1), Australia 1945-46.

72021.jpg

big-ah-70021-decal.jpg

Also - ref. 70022 Hurricane Mk.I RN

Hurri.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...