New 1/72 metal-wing Hurricane I from Arma Hobby -- Released!

Procopius

On 12/29/2018 at 11:32 PM, spaddad said:

Smug Mode engaged. Guess who pre ordered 3 overtrees?

six here. [/smug mode]

regarding Mk.II and printing money... while I prefer these Mk. Is (i have already ordered 6 and expect to do at least 10, maybe more now that i know the vokes filter's included).... i think there may be something to this. looking at Fly's 1/32 kits, the IIc has sold out. that said, it was first released. worst-case scenario is people like me would be buying a few more hurricanes, so it's definitely a safe bet. 

best currently for P-51B/C/Mustang III seems to be the new KP kit, whose flaws appear (to me) to be correctable. there's also the option of mating an Academy or KP wing with a Hasegawa fuselage... but it's probably a ripe subject for a better kit. 

as much as I'd like a new, P-51B that gets the shape right  in one go, i think Arma should focus on Hurricane variants next... seems to be THE Mk.I of choice in this scale already. 

lately a lot of very small companies are making waves with excellent injection molded kits (the Copper State Nieuports in 1/32 are another great example). this bodes well in the long run, for all of us pining for something that has been overlooked, ignored, or screwed up by the big boys.... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeff.K said:

six here. [/smug mode]

regarding Mk.II and printing money... while I prefer these Mk. Is (i have already ordered 6 and expect to do at least 10, maybe more now that i know the vokes filter's included).... i think there may be something to this. looking at Fly's 1/32 kits, the IIc has sold out. that said, it was first released. worst-case scenario is people like me would be buying a few more hurricanes, so it's definitely a safe bet. 

best currently for P-51B/C/Mustang III seems to be the new KP kit, whose flaws appear (to me) to be correctable. there's also the option of mating an Academy or KP wing with a Hasegawa fuselage... but it's probably a ripe subject for a better kit. 

as much as I'd like a new, P-51B that gets the shape right  in one go, i think Arma should focus on Hurricane variants next... seems to be THE Mk.I of choice in this scale already. 

lately a lot of very small companies are making waves with excellent injection molded kits (the Copper State Nieuports in 1/32 are another great example). this bodes well in the long run, for all of us pining for something that has been overlooked, ignored, or screwed up by the big boys.... 

Between another Hurricane variant (wich need new moulds) I would say that an new and correct 1/72 P-51B/C is an more safe invest. It have an bigger market...

/André

Hi Wojtek,

I know you already announced the guidelines for your 2019 releases which gave no mention to possible further Hurricane development. I know this might be a part of business secret, but could you at least share with us if there is any chance Arma could make a Mk.IIA? Just to know if we could expect it or not. I would like to avoid the situation Airfix gave us when many expected continuation of Hurricane line which never happened and left space for your product. I would always prefer to have the entire family of certain type covered by one producer than to have a mixed bag of different approaches and smaller or bigger surface detail differences.

Really looking forward to your answer on this.

Thanks!

Mine arrived yesterday (together with an overtree and one Fokker E.V Lozenge limited edition).

Everything looks goods in the box. I'm afraid I won't be able to start any very soon but I'm following all builds with great interest.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 2

Good afternoon

My order (1 Overtree and 1 Expert box ) arrived this morning just when I was convinced that it was lost somewhere between Poland and France ..

Just like Jaime I am not sure that I will build one tjhis year but I am following all builds with great interest ...

@Wojtek I dont' know what you are working on but I am quite sure that if it is as good as the Hurricane your company is going to make another great success ..

Cheers  

Patrice

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Wojtek Bulhak said:

When painting your Hurricane kit there is something that would help a lot - camouflage masks. You may download PDF with both A and B pattern from Arma Hobby blog: link.

This is the coolest and best freebie a kit manufacturer has yet offered, as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 13

Just printed out 6 copies of the masks for my oversprues. This is a great idea from Arma. Even though I don't really build their other planes, I might give them a go. 

Rich

• Like 1

Mine arrived today. Looks beautiful in the box. I'm on something of a Hurricane kick at the moment, and it will enter the construction queue once I get a bit farther along on an Airfix ragwing (Italian markings) and a reboxed Hasegawa 2b (11 Sqdrn SAAF). I've already completed 22 Hurricanes in 1:72  - why stop now!? 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Wojtek Bulhak said:

When painting your Hurricane kit there is something that would help a lot - camouflage masks. You may download PDF with both A and B pattern from Arma Hobby blog: link.

Hurricane-camouflage-masks-pattern-A.jpg

Got my expert sets and overtrees today! I'm really impressed to the point that I might have to put everything else on hold to get one if these started. I like that the expert set decal sheet comes with an extra instrument panel and set of stencils. 

I did find an anachronism on the stencils: they were obviously developed in part from a modern warbird as the fuel filler locations are marked "AVGAS 100LL." This is a modern fuel and I don't believe the term "AVGAS" was in use in the RAF during WWII. Notably, Airfix made the same mistake on their 1/48th scale kit. 

Is it a big deal? Not really, but if it bugs you there are always the Avieology stencil sets for the Hurricane which have period accurate markings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Is it a big deal? Not really, but if it bugs you there are always the Avieology stencil sets for the Hurricane which have period accurate markings.

duly noted on avaeolgy. it's *not* a big deal but if know, why not do? so, on it. i'm a do at least 8 of these little ships. i will be using Yahu instrument panels tho'. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jeff.K said:

duly noted on avaeolgy. it's *not* a big deal but if know, why not do? so, on it. i'm a do at least 8 of these little ships. i will be using Yahu instrument panels tho'. 

The kit panel is actually quite nice, though obviously Yahu is less work.

IMG_20190106_212136

• Like 4

Hey everyone,

just a question. Have any of you in the U.S. ordered one and got it? At the moment, still waiting for mine that I ordered in mid December, and USPS says it is not trackable😓.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, jan_cz said:

Hey everyone,

just a question. Have any of you in the U.S. ordered one and got it? At the moment, still waiting for mine that I ordered in mid December, and USPS says it is not trackable😓.

Poland to US mail is, regrettably not (or almost never) trackable once it enters this country. I received my kits on the third of this month and have begun building them. 

• Like 2