Revell B-17G Flying Fortress.

12 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Watching with interest and :popcorn:. I have the same kit for the B-17 STGB later this year. Do you happen to have the radio operators' MG hatch air spoiler, or whatever it is, on backwards :whistle: Best regards, V-P

Good spot V-P you are correct, I will say in my defense the diagram in the instructions is really hard to read, the piece could face either way. However, looking at the diagram of paint and decals I have indeed placed it the wrong way round. I have just corrected it.

Thanks again,

Michelle.

• Like 2

Last night I spent a long time Sanding the seams down and it is now pretty smooth. I have also fitted the nose glass, this went in well and fitted nice and snug.

IMG_20180824_121238

I also built the tail which is very fiddly as the kit aims for it to remain articulated. Because of this you have to place one half on the hinges, then carefully glue the other on top......hey presto....

IMG_20180824_121250

And remarkably it still moves this morning! 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

With the wheel wells firmly in place, the time had come to fit the wing halves together. From a dry fit it was clear it would be a tight squeeze, so I armed myself with clips and tape. It did require a little brute force but eventually both wings were together.

IMG_20180830_182124

These have been left overnight to dry. I have also built the elevators on the tail, this is a some task although if you want them to be working you need to be careful where you put the glue.

IMG_20180830_182056

I'm pleased to say both of mine still move!

• Like 11

Thursday evening I sat and carefully painted and built the radial ebgines, leaving them to dry overnight. Last night I secured then to the wing, and once fixed began the dreaded task of fitting the cowlings over the top. My experience of this on other builds has been painful, snug does not explain the fit of cowling over engine, so I gritted my teeth and set to work. Surprise surprise, they all slid easily over the engines😯, thank you Revell for making life slightly easier!

2018-09-01_09-08-41

• Like 11

And the bird has wings.........

IMG_20180902_094958

IMG_20180902_095010

Not the best photos (but she has a large wingspan so it's hard to fit her in a shot at this angle). Last night I secured both wings in place, this was relatively easy, only a tiny gap around the join, which I have filled using plastic putty. I have masked all the glass areas (I will hand paint these later in the build), so she is ready for a blast of primer.......lord help me she's a beast!

• Like 13

Its looking good, nice to see everything has gone together easily with a good fit :)

Looking forward to seeing the paint job now - Little Miss Mischief is a great subject - bits from 2 or 3 aircraft so a good mix of NMF and faded OD :)

• Thanks 1

First splash of colour on the beast. This aircraft really is a Mish mash of different colours, so first off I have mixed a little stone grey with white (roughly as instructed) to airbrush the underside of the tail.

IMG_20180905_074748

so far all seems ok........onto the silver sections next.

• Like 7

Moving onto the silver sections last night, I masked up the light grey and a couple of other sections and attempted to fit the fortress into my spray booth........not an easy job. I am using Vallejo silver, which I thinned using their acrylic thinner and set to work. I have to say I love the way you get a sparkly mist when you spray metallic colours, and I loved the way Vallejo silver sprays. Nice and even, I have left her over night to dry before giving her a second light coat.

IMG_20180907_183619IMG_20180907_183619IMG_20180907_183657

• Like 11

1 hour ago, RJ-WobblyHands said:

That has gone down really nice a lovely finish. I also really like the Vallejo metal colours, easy to work with and you can airbrush in the house !

I agree totally, I've been airbrushing in the kitchen and using Vallejo has so far been mess free, smell free and easy.

Thanks,

Michelle

• Like 1