Revell B-17G Flying Fortress.

Having built a Short Stirling and Dornier this year, I thought it time to build the iconic American heavy bomber of WWII the Flying Fortress. I've always seen this beautiful aircraft as the USA's alternative to our Lancaster (one of which I have in my stash). So here goes........

IMG_20180728_084119

I am going to build Revell's 1:72 B-17G, in the livery of the 91st Bomb Group 'Little Miss Mischief'. The box contains a medium size decal sheet and large clear sprue.

IMG_20180727_132854

There are also 7 silver coloured sprues (although I think there is supposed to be less, and one had broken in half). 

IMG_20180727_132900

These have a fair amount of detailing, and a little flash (they are pictured here drying in the bath).

IMG_20180727_132908

My aim is to build this straight from the box, with its gear down. Let the fun begin.....

• Like 19

Hello @Shelliecool!

Great choice to start with, the sprues looks fantastic and the box art looks very promising - it would be nice if you build she with all these paintings 👍 I can’t resist when I see the NMF birds!

P.S. I also like the molding in silver - all the details of the parts are highlighted.

Cheers! 😎

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
  • Like 1

Blimey, did I miss the completion of your Lightning .....................

I would send a complaint to Revell as the parts seem to be covered in a white bubbly substance .........................I'll bet washing up is fun in your house

Edited by adey m
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, adey m said:

Blimey, did I miss the completion of your Lightning .....................

I would send a complaint to Revell as the parts seem to be covered in a white bubbly substance .........................I'll bet the washing up is fun in your house

Nope you didn't miss the Lightning, I'm still working on that build (just added another coat of dark green). I have just completed 2 Spitfire's, so needed a second build on the go. Yes I have to admit I'm a rather messy washer upper 😂.

Thanks, 

Michelle.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

Cool to see a B-17 on deck! I have one waiting for the B-17 Group Build, but that's in Sept(?) so this should tide me over!

Oooh, I haven't had a gander at the group builds, and haven't taken part in one for a while🤔.

I'm happy to have you on board.

Thanks Michelle.

• Like 1

Hi Michelle,

the number of engines is sneakily increasing... The next step should be the Dornier X...

This kit looks real good, so even OOB the result should be great!

Don't abuse of the washing up liquid: inhaling too many bubbles may be harmful to your health. So is glue sniffing...

What a hazardous hobby we dabble in!

Have fun!

JR

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

I have one waiting for the B-17 Group Build, but that's in Sept(?) so this should tide me over!

October, I think, but like you I have a B-17 (Airfix in my case) waiting to come to the plate. And, like Michelle, I'm going to be doing a 91BG build, so I'm looking forward to seeing Little Miss Mischief come together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Michelle,

I will be watching this with great interest.

I have two Revell Gs and one F version in The Room of Requirement and this will get me motivated,

Michael

• Like 1

The Revell B-17 is a great kit! I did "Little Patches" from 91BG a few years ago and had a great time. The kit goes together easily, and it's perfectly feasible to finish the wings seperately from the fuselage to make the whole lot easier to handle.

Have fun!

• Like 1

Watching with interest, have the 'Memphis Belle' B-17F boxing and I've bought an Eduard cockpit etch set, so have to build it sooner or later. Maybe the B-17 GB.

Davey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to this one Michelle - it's a 'challenging' kit. I've built the Memphis Belle (RFI photos on Flickr) some time ago here (an 'F') but the thread has been hit by the Photobucket issue. I have a B-17G in the stash; glutton for punishment!

Good luck and can't wait for the start :) 

• Like 2

Work has begun on the build, I carefully built the bomb racks, securing the interior doors to each end. I then built both sets of bombs (2x small, 2x larger) and sanded the seams a little. Once the glue was set I mixed up some Tamyia xf-73 with Tamyia thinner (10:2) and airbrushed the racks and room. Then using Revell Nato-Olive I airbrushed the bombs. All fine and dandy! Whilst this dried I did a little online research, discovering 'Little Miss Mischief' suffered serious damage in 1944 and was rebuilt using sections from another aircraft (hence the nmf and olive drab paintwork), I will attach a link to the page later. 

Back to the build briefly, with all the paint dry, I fixed the bombs to the racks and secured the outer bracing into place. Nice start I feel, I'm really enjoying this one already!.

IMG_20180729_083126

IMG_20180729_083134

IMG_20180729_083147

• Like 8

16 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Michelle,

the number of engines is sneakily increasing... The next step should be the Dornier X...

This kit looks real good, so even OOB the result should be great!

Don't abuse of the washing up liquid: inhaling too many bubbles may be harmful to your health. So is glue sniffing...

What a hazardous hobby we dabble in!

Have fun!

JR

Hey Jean,

So I had a sneaky look at a Dornier X........and WOW😯 it looks immense (not sure I would have room to store it tho). I have a Shackleton in my stash, and quite fancy building a Short Sunderland. Maybe one day I will pluck up the courage to try a Do X.

Thanks,

Michelle.

• Like 2

I have done a little more work on the Fortress, firstly putting the ceiling on the bomb room, and adding a little detail to the doors and walls.

IMG_20180730_125304

IMG_20180730_125309

I have also airbrushed the cockpit floor, adding some detailing to pedals and controls. I then assembled the pilot and copilot's seat, and the smaller chairs (these are fiddly but go together well).

IMG_20180730_125401

I have also painted some of the instruments to go onto the dividing walls of the interior. It is going together well, the kit so far seems really well thought out...... hopefully it will continue throughout the build.

• Like 14

Whilst doing a little more background research, i found a photo of some of the damage 'Little Miss Mischief' suffered before being rebuilt.

floor1

I also read a little about her crew, and found a shot of them celebrating 30 missions.

2018-07-30_01-06-29

Edited by Shelliecool
  • Like 9

I always love seeing a B-17 coming together!

Not sure how concerned about accuracy you are, but only the exposed metal of the flightdeck was painted internally (bronze green) and all other areas were left in natural metal. I’ve done many years of researching the internal details of the B-17 and have loads of info should you need it.

Tom 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello, great subject, neat "little" kit,  great detail, ......, but please exchange the front glass nose. It would spoil  every great attempt by/of (?) you. Otherwise it should be a great build oob. Nice start so far. Cheers

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

I always love seeing a B-17 coming together!

Not sure how concerned about accuracy you are, but only the exposed metal of the flightdeck was painted internally (bronze green) and all other areas were left in natural metal. I’ve done many years of researching the internal details of the B-17 and have loads of info should you need it.

Tom 

Hi Tom,

I like to be fairly accurate (although, once the fuselage halves are together the detail will be hidden), I have looked at photos online and saw some sections of the interior were bare metal finish and others painted. I have attempted to paint the interior of the fuselage accordingly.....

2018-07-30_07-11-14

I also found photographs where the floor in various sections is unpainted wood......so plan to do the same, painting the flight deck floor green and the rest wood. That said any reference is greatly relieved!

Thanks,

Michelle.

• Like 7