Revell B-17G Flying Fortress.

Well for a start you’ve used bronze green which is good!

According to the Boeing manufacturing specs only the flightdeck was painted. Mid-way through F production the olive green sound-proofing fitted to the radio room and forward section was deleted, and just the bare metal skins were left as they were.  The waist area, bomb bay and tail turret were completely unpainted - some earlier builds had the bomb bay painted neutral grey but this hasn’t been particularly well documented. 

Floors were indeed wood but had black rubber anti-skid mats fitted. 

Many warbirds and modern restorations have the interior painted for anti-corrosion purposes, but why they are done with interior green is a mystery!

EDIT: You can actually see the natural metal interior to the rear fuselage, radio room and bomb bay in the picture you posted of the battle damaged LMM above. 

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Looking good. I got this kit as a gift for Christmas last year. Your build might get me motivated to start mine.

hope to see progress soon...it is a nice kit

rgds

• Thanks 1

s-l500.jpg

One thing l find lacking in all B-17 kits are the oxygen bottles right behind the cockpit seats. They are big and yellow and hard to miss. Probably you can not see them once closed up but to me it is important item

Hacker 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A good start, looking good !

Loved a B-17 build since I was a kid, I always remember buliding the airfix kit in the 70's , watching this one with interest ,  .... my new tool airfix kit is waiting for the STGB starting in October ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey. Cracking along again I see. I had the Airfix one for a birthday a year ago. I think I’m all bombed out while working on the Lanc so I’ll enjoy you bilding this one if that’s ok. Great start.

John.😀

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm back to my builds after a fantastic 2 week break in Dorset. I was fortunate enough to see the Osprey transfer American troops out to a waiting vessel in Portland, and visit the astounding Nothe fort in Weymouth (and meet the talented gentleman responsible for the matchstick fleet). Anyway, back to business. I have been working on the turrets, the ball turret was pure joy. It went together with ease and I opted to brush paint it as the masking would be so fiddly.

IMG_20180820_181331

I just need to do a little paint work on the magazine's but she's come along well.

IMG_20180820_181141

same goes for this turret, went together with ease. Then I began the tail section.......and frustration set in...........😠

IMG_20180820_181205

I have opted for the glass section in the tail rather than the plastic and it won't go together well at all. There is nothing for the clear piece to sit on so it drops in, and the gun section won't fit. I am contemplating building the other tail option, before I go round the bend!

• Like 9

Hi michelle, a girl modelling with stash??? Damn that would maje life more easy :). 

on a serious note, great progress, makes me wonder if I should build it too...

just a tip. Use either dark blue or green as background for your photos. You can buy a patch of paper from every hobby shop and you can use that for forever...this will make the details and paintwork even more.

greetings TC

• Thanks 1

A little bit of patients, and a lot of jiggling around later and I managed to get the tail section together with glass section in place. I have also sanded down the seams nice and smooth, I am hoping a little filler around the glass section will finish this aspect of the build.

2018-08-21_06-05-57

• Like 9

Last night I began the unnerving task of joining both fuselage halves together. I tend to find with bigger builds that the halves can be a tight squeeze. I'm guessing this is because you are instructed to build the interior into one half and the other has to cope with the limited space left. Anyway, I secured the ball turret in place, and rested the front turret in (this is not glued). Take 1: Knowing the front of the aircraft was tighter than the back, I began by gluing the tail and fuselage up to the ball turret. This went together easily, fitted perfectly, but as I was fixing clamps to the tail and taping the fuselage, the ball turret fell out🤯😠. Take 2: I carefully seperated the halves again, fixed the ball turret back in place (take time doing this, it fits on to a very small slot), and carefully began to glue the tail and rear. This time it went together well, quickly but carefully I clamped it and taped it together. I then glued up to the front turret and attempted to secure then together, this was a very tight squeeze. Eventually I got them together and taped them in place. In comparison the nose section was a dream. With the halves reunited I left the build over night.

IMG_20180822_075325

This morning I have removed the clamps and tape and all is fine, apart from a slight step in the halves behind the front turret, this I will address later. I'm just pleased to have it together.

IMG_20180822_080008

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1