Lightning F:3 (Sword 1:72)

26 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

I'll now have to mask the tail and paint it white but this is not mentioned in the instructions. In fact, they don't even list white paint on the colour chart! :swear:

Thats not kool. 

• Like 1

Hi Nigel. Well it looks great with the colours going on but it's a shame about the decals not having white on them. Very odd. Hope you get sorted okay with the white paint.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Hi All, Thanks for the comments :smile:

I've never come across this before and whilst not a huge problem to sort, I'd have been either been trying to paint via home-made masks or putting it in the bin if I'd have noticed it once the decal had slid off the backing.

Anyhow, I've some family duties to manage and a chequered flag to watch tomorrow (Singapore F1 GP) before I do any more work on this :wink:

I'm fast falling out of love with this build!! :angry:The tacky paint was indeed some sort of reaction and is now cracked. I thought the decals would cover the worst of it but this wasn't to be. They are like working with wet tissue paper and at one point the build was seconds from taking off across the room.

Anyhow, This is as good as it will get so I'm hoping that some weathering will help with covering up the problem areas (just as the light has done with the camera :whistle: )

29821059167_0d2080ad79_k.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Hi Nigel. Sorry you are having issues with the paint. It does look good in the photos though, so, as Col. says, some careful weathering should see it looking okay.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Col. said:

Sure a measure of operational weathering will save this one. It's looking too good to scrap now!

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Nigel. Sorry you are having issues with the paint. It does look good in the photos though, so, as Col. says, some careful weathering should see it looking okay.

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Both, I have to admit it looks better in the photos than in the plastic so maybe the camera will assist when it comes to the final photos! 🤞

• Like 2

Ow! That was a bit painful with the paint but it looks like a good save.

As an alternative to the painted tail I would have suggested a solid white transfer if I’d come across this thread earlier (sorry!) Xtradecal do sheets of block colour and a trim fit of a couple of pieces could also be a solution.

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Ow! That was a bit painful with the paint but it looks like a good save.

As an alternative to the painted tail I would have suggested a solid white transfer if I’d come across this thread earlier (sorry!) Xtradecal do sheets of block colour and a trim fit of a couple of pieces could also be a solution.

Trevor

Thanks for the info, Trevor. One for the memory-bank later down the line :smile:

The early day of RAF Lightning service certainly were colourful, in perhaps more ways than one, this model illustrates the fact well so I'm hoping your mojo stays alive to see this one through and not only into the gallery but also into your display cabinet.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Col. said:

The early day of RAF Lightning service certainly were colourful, in perhaps more ways than one, this model illustrates the fact well so I'm hoping your mojo stays alive to see this one through and not only into the gallery but also into your display cabinet.

How can I not finish her now?? :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, exdraken said:

It does look really great!

Great scheme and well executed!

Thank you exdraken, that's nice of you to say and much appreciated. I have to admit that without the recent encouragement, the build may not have reached this point :whistle:

Still, getting there now and hoping to complete in the next couple of weeks 🤞

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Nigel. Hope you are well. Have you had chance to do any more on this?

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix, Nothing last week due to work and home commitments but hoping to pick the pace back up later in the week :smile:

• Like 1

So I sit down at my bench with renewed vigour after such great support to ask myself "where the :swear: is the Lightning?" After asking around home, I'm advised "Ellis had that in the garden on Saturday, thought you gave it to him!". Ellis is a 4 year old nephew and Saturday was a party for my wife's birthday :angry: Needless to say I can't interrogate a 4 year old but I did have a word with one of my kids for leaving the door open to my den!

I'm now sadly reporting this MIA as this is all I have found after a wander round the garden :cry: Just glad he couldn't reach my completed builds!

45023994892_05d986802d_c.jpg

Thanks to everyone who rallied round this build. I will carry the vigour into the Pacific GB and my 'Zero'.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6