Lightning F:3 (Sword 1:72)

The kit has arrived and it will be on the bench in a short while as I have an 'Egg' P-47 to build for another GB first. I may also be building this in parallel with my Sopwith for the 11th Hour GB!! :frantic:

43681869941_8e807736ba_k.jpg

• Like 4

There's always plenty room for any Lightnings in this GB :D 

I do think that box art is rather cool. Inspiring stuff. Good luck with this one and your Sopwith - two very different subjects only 50 years apart.

• Thanks 1

While both schemes are good the 'Lakenheat' one does it for me as well :speak_cool:

Is that a twin tub cockpit I can see in there too?

• Haha 1

On 7/29/2018 at 9:54 PM, Col. said:

While both schemes are good the 'Lakenheat' one does it for me as well :speak_cool:

Is that a twin tub cockpit I can see in there too?

Hi Col,

Nope, just the one seat I'm afraid.

• 3 weeks later...

The lack of locating pins certainly makes us concentrate on these kits :lol:  Then again so does the change from 16th scale to 72nd I'd imagine!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Col. said:

Nice work in the 'pit :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, Jabba said:

The cockpit looks very good indeed, and it is good to see a comparative build between this kit, the Airfix and Matchbox Lightnings.

17 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice office 👍

Thank you, Folks! :happy:

I've managed to close up the two halves today, install the exhausts and fit the fin. There are no slots & tabs for tail pieces which feels really odd!

43441000765_def553e957_k.jpg

• Like 4

Starting to take shape now.

As stated previously, the tail parts had no slots which called for a jig made from blue tack. The wing slots were a lot smaller than the tabs so they needed to be opened up (which is what I also did to my finger when the scalpel slipped!  :swear: )

43758114974_e0abc0c927_k.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Col. said:

Shiny B)  Great progress :goodjob:

Thanks Col. I feel like she's really coming along now :happy: Itching to get the 'red' on but may have to wait until next week due to a busy weekend ahead!

• Like 1

On 9/7/2018 at 5:43 PM, Hewy said:

Great job on the duraluminium, are you going to do a few panels in a different shade? 

Thanks Glynn. I hadn't planned to but I've seen a few on-line and think I may have a go at doing just that! 🤞

9 hours ago, PlaStix said:

That is progressing wonderfully Nigel and looks excellent under it's Alclad paintwork. :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix. I was going to try the Vallejo metals but as I have the Alclad gloss, I thought I'd stick with it for now. Progress may slow a tad as I'm away from Wednesday (work) for a few days and have a few busy weekends ahead but hope to add some more colour when I can grab some time :smile:

• Like 1

I was back home a lot earlier than expected so spent some time this afternoon adding some colour. I was just about to lay on the tail decal when it struck me that the 'white' parts of the check pattern aren't white; they are clear! Hence, I'll now have to mask the tail and paint it white but this is not mentioned in the instructions. In fact, they don't even list white paint on the colour chart! :swear:

44628440222_ed40ba2e34_k.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1