Real Aero Company Summer Fly/Drive-In July 21/22nd '18

Breighton Aerodrome Summer Fly-In - July 21st/22nd

I was intending to take "Jessie the Jeep" to Breighton, but this is the first time I've had to cancel due to good weather! Yes, that's right, cancelled due to good weather!! About a week before the event, an email came around advising there would be no cooking allowed on site due to the extremely dry weather creating a fire risk on the airfield. Not being able to stay on site created complications in taking the Jeep, without clocking up un-necessary mileage, so in the end we decided to leave the Jeep at home. We'd go in the normal car on Saturday morning, stay at my dad's house only 35 minutes away, and go back on Sunday.

breighton1.jpg

For the last few months, there has been a photo competition, for any picture taken at Breighton. All the entries were in the conservatory on Saturday, with the winner being announced at the Saturday evening hangar party. They read out the names of the participants but missed my name out. It turns out that I was the winner! Some of the entries, my trophy and winning picture are shown below. On Sunday, they were all moved to hangar 2 for display.

breighton5.jpg

While I didn't have my Jeep there, there were four Jeeps that turned up along with the classic cars on display. 

breighton6.jpg

breighton7.jpg

breighton8.jpg

breighton9.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 3

The Real Aeroplane Company has an impressive collection of aircraft, but they were also joined by many visitors, flying both modern and vintage aircraft. In fact, there were so many aircraft on the flight line, that they ended up double parked at the West end of the airfield, with others still in the hangars! The largest visitor was the twin engined Beechcraft C-45 Expeditor, seen in the second picture below. The rest of the aircraft in this post are just part of the Real Aeroplane Collection.

breighton10.jpg

breighton11.jpg

breighton12.jpg

breighton13.jpg

• Like 3

Emeraude G-ARRS was a visitor to the airfield.

breighton14.jpg

The dH 60 Gipsy Moth is a fairly new resident. Lots more vintage aircraft should be based there soon as they are nearly finished building several more hangars. I'm told that to be based there, the aircraft need to be taildraggers, wood/canvas or vintage.

breighton15.jpg

Another nice visitor was this Fox Moth that was busy all weekend.

breighton16.jpg

The Bucker Bestmann of Tony Brier is another Breighton based aircraft.

breighton17.jpg

• Like 2

Here's a few more of the vehicles on show, including the owner of the Real Aero Co in his racing car which performed a number of high speed runs along the taxiway.

breighton21.jpg

breighton18.jpg

breighton19.jpg

breighton20.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 1

Here's the Gemini again, then Piper Vagabond, Piper Apache and the de Havilland dH60 Gipsy Moth. It was interesting to watch the folded wings being opened out to prepare the aircraft for flight. Four spring loaded pins, one to each wing leading edge hold the wings open. When folded, there's an extendable strut to support the wing leading edges at the inboard end. This folds away along side the cabane struts for flight.

breighton26.jpg

breighton27.jpg

breighton28.jpg

breighton29.jpg

• Like 1

Despite a partly cloudy day, it had been very warm, and the sun broke through in time for the evening hangar party. While we didn't have the usual spectacular sun set, there were still some interesting cloud formations and lighting. The hangar party had a live band as well as Brian doing some stand up comedy and my daughter danced the night away for almost four and a half hours straight!

breighton30.jpg

breighton34.jpg

breighton32.jpg

breighton33.jpg

• Like 2

Day two was unbearably hot, and other than a couple of trips along the flight line for pictures, I spent most of the day in hangar 2 where there was some solid shade. There were several Austers that flew in to the event and with those resident at the airfield, they numbered around eight. The good weather allowed plenty of flying on both days. Not having a tent or Jeep, we were able to make a quick getaway at 5pm. There's a classic car meet there in September, so I may take the Jeep down for that instead.

Broussard

breighton38.jpg

Some of around eight Austers at the event

breighton39.jpg

Jungmann, Cessna 120, Aeronca 100 and Luton Minor

breighton40.jpg

Tipsy Junior, Westland Wasp, Piper PA-22 Colt and Jodel

breighton41.jpg

More Austers, both military and civvie

breighton42.jpg

Piper Apache

breighton43.jpg