What to do with Roundel Decals not Centred?

Uncle Dick

Received the Xtradecal X72254 1/72 Dassault Mirage F.1B Part 2 Two seaters decals from Hannants and surprise, surprise all the Iranian roundels are not centred/out of register.

What to do now?

1. Throw a Roundel Tantrum?

2. Send them back to Hannants from Australia with love?

3. Use them for target practise?

4. All of the above?

Through them in the junk stash with all the Berna and Authentic Decals out of register (already quite a collection)?

Seriously - what to do? 

X72254_3.jpg?t=

Contact Hannants via email and let them know your findings. Umcentered roundels should not be available for sale as they really are defective products. I think a new Decal sheet (at the very least just roundels) should be sent out to you free of charge. I once purchased a set of Hunter Black Arrows decals and the thin white roundel surrounds were off as well. I probably should have done something about it, but didn’t?

Good luck..

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

By preference (and comedy factor for those nearby), 1), but for your own sanity, the following:

14 minutes ago, Bobski said:

If you haven't used any of them yet then I would get in touch with Hannants to return them for a refund. You might have to pay the postage, but better than either binning them.

Roundel related tantrums rarely have positive results, but other than looking at your model cross-eyed for the rest of eternity, Bob's suggestion is best :)

• Like 1

Sometimes I’ve found this problem with “classic” kit decals.  Options for me then (returning not being feasible):

1 raid the decal bank for something similar or an alternative valid for the airframe...or go whiffy?

2 ignore if not too bad, sometimes turning the roundels makes the out of register less obvious (ignore method also used when I incompetently place those separate decal centres) the shape of the surface underneath sometimes helps.

3 cut out the centre dot, paint the whole middle (eg the white on RAF roundels), then use the cut out centre dot exactly as for separately supplied dots.

Hope this helps, sometimes I can’t decide if it’s better to ignore the out-of-register as my efforts in response may be equally out anyway due to my slight astigmatism!  Or just photograph the model from her best side...

cheers

Will

• Like 2

If you do not want to send it back try the following providing you have the gear. Before you use the decal use a hole punch to remove the red centre. Then use a circle cutter to cut a solid white circle and centre it on the green outer circle. Place both on the model green first then the white circle. Then place and centre the red dot. A bit of work l know but it is up to you.

Robert

• Like 1

Fwiw, Hannants have been lax in not inspecting the decals received from the printer, is it still Microscale, before releasing them for sale? The issue should be between Hannants & printer, who've not been doing their QC checks either. The days of out of register decals should be long gone.

Steve.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Uncle Dick said:

Received the Xtradecal X72254 1/72 Dassault Mirage F.1B Part 2 Two seaters decals from Hannants and surprise, surprise all the Iranian roundels are not centred/out of register.

What to do now?

1. Throw a Roundel Tantrum?

2. Send them back to Hannants from Australia with love?

3. Use them for target practise?

4. All of the above?

Through them in the junk stash with all the Berna and Authentic Decals out of register (already quite a collection)?

Seriously - what to do? 

As others have said, contact Hannants, email photos to prove the point.

It's unlikely they will want return, they will see the problem by photo - and nobody is going to want to use those decals.

• Like 1

Thanks Lads - for all the suggestions, shall in the end contact Hannants!

The sterling community that is Britmodeller certainly had a most calming effect on my mind after my "Roundel Tantrum"

Edited by Uncle Dick

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the advice chaps, as a follow up this was Hannants reply following email with photos of the culprit roundels

Thank you for your email and sorry for the very late reply.

Unfortunately some decals go like this as when they are printed they are put through several times for each colour. It is then hard for the decal sheet to be placed exactly as the first print, hence the problem caused. 

Sometimes all the decals are the same but I have checked what we have in stock and they one I will send to you should be fine.

Your replacement will leave today.

Edited by Uncle Dick
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Unless you would by a kit with short shot parts, or a car with a missing windscreen, don't buy decals that are out of register.  The job of a decal printer and a decal company is to sell products that are correctly printed.  If they're selling products that aren't, then they're defrauding you.

• Like 2

Mind you, that's what Heller did for some decades. They were thorough, though, as I've seen a set of instructions in which they actually managed to make the roundels as off centre as the decals!

This case, on the contrary, has been handled as it should between gentlemen.

Edited by ivand
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

I had a similar situation with a set of Print Scale  MiG 15 decals, the North Korean decals were out of register. A quick phone call to Hannants resolved the situation. They sent me a new sheet & I sent the defective one back. Hannants customer service is, in my humble opinion, second to none.