Italeri Hurricane Mk 1 Weathering Wash

Tim1981

Hi, I have made a start with building the Italeri Hurricane Trop and was after some help with using a wash at the end of the build to add some depth and weathering to the model. I was thinking of using a light wash over the whole model.

I am using tamiya acrylics for the camouflage  painting.  My last build I left clean looking but I don't think this would look right on a Hurricane. 

Is there a wash you could recommend please.

Any help is much appreciated. 

Edited by Tim1981

Hello Tim,

I use Humbrol Washes .

Italeri is releasing a new set of 6 acrylic washes, it may be interesting.

Probably I will buy it, price is interesting and it is not enamel based.

Kind regards,

Paolo   

1 hour ago, Tim1981 said:

Hi, I have made a start with building the Italeri Hurricane Trop and was after some help with using a wash at the end of the build to add some depth and weathering to the model. I was thinking of using a light wash over the whole model.

I am using tamiya acrylics for the camouflage  painting.  My last build I left clean looking but I don't think this would look right on a Hurricane. 

Is there a wash you could recommend please.

Any help is much appreciated. 

Hi Tim

Don't assume that a weathering wash is the answer.

There are trends in modelling, and it's easy to see many models based on other models, and assumptions.

This might help

5993516730_40030fde9f_b.jpgHurricane                 1944. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

Note the very distinctive exhaust stain (which would get cleaned off) 

More Hurricane colour here

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=hurricane

You might want to say what plane you are modelling, as there are probably photos about of it.

One really specific bit of Hurricane staining is oil leaking from the rear of the engine bay, and then being blown by the airstream over the UC doors, start of stain here

hurr1-10.jpg

Leading to this

e33574f628ffe62afa84929ace17cf52.jpg

You get heavier examples, but the cause and pattern is not usually explained.

There are loads of photos here

https://www.asisbiz.com/Hurricane.html

Note, these are by unit, have a look for your subject.

The Italeri kit can be greatly improved by replacing the spinner, though you may need to scrape the nose down to fit.

Ask if you want more info.

4 minutes ago, Tim1981 said:

Thanks for all the info. The aircraft is RAF 74 Squadron, Malta.

Is that unit correct Tim? Although I haven’t checked my references it doesn’t seem right to me.

Cheers.. Dave (always happy to be corrected - I quite like the taste of hats!!)

source

Italeri say 74sq, but 74 was not on Malta. 

The above is Z4189

There is a comment here that Z4189 was not on Malta either

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234920183-hurricane-pair/

Mentioning @Graham Boak, who may know more.

There is this

http://surfcity.kund.dalnet.se/commonwealth_fell.htm

In late 1941, he served in the composite RN Fighter Squadron, which operated alongside the RAF in the Western Desert.

At 16:40 on 23 November, Hurricanes from RNFS intercepted reported Italian Fiat G.50s 20 miles south-east of Gubi. Sub Lieutenant Fell (Hurricane I Z4189) claimed a probable while Sub Lieutenant J. F. Kee claimed a damaged.

This is the Italeri profile

resize.asp?path=prof1-LR(1).jpg&width=80

Which shows a scheme of Dark Green and Middlestone, over Sky Blue.

Given the lack of contrast with the upper colours,  I suggest this was Dark Green and Dark Earth, 

The actual plane does not look that weathered either.

Note, Italeri are not very good at research, and as a Hurricane buff, their kits are my "where's Wally" kits, the harder you look, the more glitches you find....

Anyway, hope this helps?

Cheers

T

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

@Beard built SLt M Fells Hurricane Z4932 in this thread - 

Ok neat, but not the same aircraft.  I posted a shot of Z4189.

Fell came up in searching for Z4189, I just added in the information.

I use ground pastels (not oil based ones) of a suitable shade pertinent to the aircraft colours. Applied as appropriate with a battered old micro brush then brushed in the direction of airflow over the aircraft. That's my basic method for highlighting panel lines. Antics in Cornwall Street has Micro brushes and pastels can be had from Hobbycraft on Exeter Rd outbound from Charles Cross roundabout.

• Thanks 2

Thanks a lot for all the help again. Can I get away with doing this model in Battle of Britian colours with the decal markings provided. I was never really too keen on painting the tropical camouflage but this was the only kit version available. Cheers Darby, I have been using hobby craft and Antics !

1 hour ago, Tim1981 said:

Thanks a lot for all the help again. Can I get away with doing this model in Battle of Britian colours with the decal markings provided. I was never really too keen on painting the tropical camouflage but this was the only kit version available.

Not easily.

AFAIK, the kit only contains the De Havilland Hurricane spinner and most BoB schemes are for schemes using a Spitfire Rotol

See here if this is gobbledegook

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/

I should be able to find some spare BoB code decals and a Airfix Rotol spinner if you want to go that way, though you will need to scrape back the nose ring for it to fit.

PM or email if you do.

HTH

T

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tim1981 said:

Unfortunately I have run into this problem with the wing fit :

I may be able to reshape the wing to fit and carry on with the build but it does seem to be miles out !

You might want to try Italeri and ask for a replacement?  The wing looks to be for a IIA, not a IIC, interestingly Italeri have not done a IIA....

All you need to do is from the front edge to fit, though the carb intake was further back on the Mk.II ...

Oh.. inevitably I've posted in that thread...

Cheers

T

Thanks Troy, I did see a reply post from the author saying he waited weeks for a replacement and they sent another identical wing which does not fit. I have reshaped the wing and it fits well now. I know its not going to be authentic but I have learned my lesson and will stick with other brands although I was pleased with my Italeri Mustang.

Edited by Tim1981

On 28/7/2018 at 22:01, Tim1981 said:

I have learned my lesson and will stick with other brands although I was pleased with my Italeri Mustang.

if that's the 1/48th P-51D it's a reboxed Hasegawa kit.

There are a fair few 'Italeri' kits that are reboxes of Hasegawa (Hawker Typhoon, P-51D) and Academy kits, some of those being originally Accurate Miniatures,  the Italeri Il-2 Shtumovik and Avenger are of this heritage.

You can usually track down a kits origin quite easily, and if not, then just ask.   

Did you want me to look for some Battle of Britain decals?

cheers

T

• Thanks 1