ZTS 1/72 IL-2m3 Sturmovik Winter 1944

I was recently changing some photos on an old build, due to the well known photobucket problems, only to realise I had never posted the pictures of the finished build. 

This is the first ZTS kit I've ever built, and it was a bit of a challenge as you will seen from the build thread below.

It would have been nice to have weathered it but, as I haven't done that before, plus running out of time in the Group Build meant it looks like it's just been painted. 

Pictures below, let me know what you think

cheers Pat

IMG_3951

IMG_3954

IMG_3953

IMG_3952

IMG_3950

• Like 15

Jockney,

I suppose this kit is for "collectors" and "vintage enthusiasts" only, as there are much better detailed kits of this type available in 72scale.

Judging from your build report, the fit of most parts was problematic - you've probably got the best out of it!

As for the winter camo, the white paint is too glossy, in my opinion.

For the next build, may I recommend to paint the base colors (green/brown/grey) first and then apply thin layers of white paint.

You could rub off the white distemper in areas that receive frequent stress & handling (wing leading edges, wing roots, maintenance panels) for a more 'natural' look, and give it a coat of Matt lacquer.

Best regards from Vienna!

Roman

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Jockney,

I suppose this kit is for "collectors" and "vintage enthusiasts" only, as there are much better detailed kits of this type available in 72scale.

Judging from your build report, the fit of most parts was problematic - you've probably got the best out of it!

For the next build, may I recommend to paint the base colors (green/brown/grey) first and then apply thin layers of white paint.

You could rub off the white distemper in areas that receive frequent stress & handling (wing leading edges, wing roots, maintenance panels) for a more 'natural' look, and give it a coat of Matt lacquer.

Roman

Hi Roman

No argument from me, the kit fought me all the way and it was a case of sheer bloody mindedness to finish it and not be beaten.

I completely agree, given more time your painting suggestions / recommendations would have been the right thing to do, but given my track record in Group Builds it was always going to be a dash for the finish line.

One of the great things about BM is that, lots of members with more experience and expertise than myself are willing to share their knowledge, tips and skills with those of us less qualified and or experienced.

I learned a great deal from this build and have set myself the goal of making each successive build better than the last one.

"Every day is a school day"

kind regards Pat

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Jockney,

Roman

Great aircraft, love the winter scheme. I want to do one of these so may give this technique a go too. Nice build 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2018 at 3:51 PM, John D.C. Masters said:

Cool little Sturmovik.  Your more currents builds are much, much better.😀

Hi John

Thanks very much.

This build was one of the first after returning to our Hobby after a 30+ year gap. I try to make each build better than the last one, although when you set the bar this low it isn't difficult !  :winkgrin:

Unless you are a masochist I would definitely advise building a different manufacturers rendition of this aircraft, but as an exercise is challenging builds it comes highly recommended  ! :rofl2:

cheers Pat

16 hours ago, glatisant said:

A nice build of an awful kit. Good work, I admire your perseverance.

Ha Ha

Yes I agree unless you prefer wrestling to kit building buy a different manufacturer, it did work wonders for the self confidence however ! 

I built my first vacform kit after this one, it was easier :D

cheers Pat