Revell 72nd scale MiG-21 F-13 Fishbed-C

Spent about two and a half hours last night taking the canopy through the various grades of Micromesh both inside and out last night. This removed all the damage and cleared it up to better than new condition so I'll stop sulking with this kit and get back at it again :) 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 9:33 AM, Col. said:

nothing of its people

Some informations about people:

2 hours ago, Col. said:

This removed all the damage and cleared it up to better than new condition so I'll stop sulking with this kit and get back at it again 

Good news!

B.R.

Serge

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Phew!  Another one saved from the scrap heap...

Out of the scrap yard and off the Shame Shelf. Hopefully I won't bugger it up again :pray:

46 minutes ago, Aardvark said:

Some informations about people:

Good news!

B.R.

Serge

Thank you Serge. Proof that life goes on as always even in a conflict.

A little more progress. Painted the green dielectric areas with Humbrol 101, added the internal windscreen, then a dash of red for the canopy opening handle, finally for yesterday the undercarriage doors were glued into place;

43650461360_498b2792b2_z.jpg

30527444507_e1192e88da_z.jpg

The Hu101 looks a bit lighter than I wanted but maybe a second coat or gloss varnish will darken it off a touch. Either that or I'll mix in a little darker green to the tin and keep it for that specific task.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 5

Got the undercarriage fitted after some minor fighting and added a little extra detail to the main legs. Also repainted the dielectric panels with Humbrol Hu131 at the same time as the wheel hubs were getting done.

45621866241_0a8160ca0f_z.jpg

Next on the task list should be another attempt to paint the canopy but I'm currently avoiding that by trying to decide between the East German or Soviet Air Force decal options :hmmm: 

Edited by Col.
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

East German it is then...

31913891338_5d1977f520_z.jpg

45060485324_df5d3ae462_z.jpg

The decals mainly behaved well apart from some underwing stencils which had no carrier film on them so simply broke up but fortunately aren't too visible. Stupid boy here didn't pay enough attention while placing the right hand side bort number and by the time I realised it's too far back it was well and truly stuck down. Or maybe the ground crew didn't read the technical documents properly while painting it on :hmmm: I've also found a couple photos of these machines in East German Air Force service showing them carrying empty missle rails so chose to fit them rather than the rocket pods. Only other task done was to add the black curved plate above the ejector seat that contacted the canopy as it closed from a cutting of plastic sheet.

45060487604_ef91f32949_z.jpg

That only leaves the canopy to do and add some brake lines to the main undercarriage.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 3

Oh nice, I hadn't been keeping up with this WIP, but I'm building the same kit. I also felt the fit could have been a bit better.

Yours is looking the goods!

Regards,

David

• Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:32 PM, Dazey said:

Oh nice, I hadn't been keeping up with this WIP, but I'm building the same kit. I also felt the fit could have been a bit better.

Yours is looking the goods!

Regards,

David

Thank you David, very nice of you to say so, have to admit the kit hasn't lived up to its initial promise of a nice straight-forward simple project and as such has proved something of a disappointment due to that.

Almost done now though. Got some detail added into the canopy;

2018-11-10_10-24-10

Then painted the outside with Humbrol Metalcoat 70002 once masked off and the interior with the same mix of colours as the cockpit. Added a little bit of scrap plastic rod to increase the gluing area for it to attach to the kit and got it set in place;

2018-11-16_07-24-12

Almost done now :) 

• Like 2