Su-9 Fishpot 16 Red PVO eastern Europe - finished 1/48

this will be an attempt to start to counter the large NATO overweight in this GB!

Su-9 Fishpot

PVO Soviet Air Defence Force

Airbase/ Regiment : not decided yet. Crimea:  136 th IAP in Kirovskoye maybe? or 894th at Ozyornoye/ Ozerne nowadays ucraine?   any suggestions from your side?! ;)

• Trumpeter 1/48
  • Eduard Brassin Seat
  • Master Pitot
  • Wolfpak Exhaust
  • ...?

20180725_204837_120180725_223226_1

cheers, and o be started soon!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 14

A great choice indeed commrade. Glad to see see you joining in the struggle against the tide of Capitalist oppression with such a fine example of glorious Soviet engineering :D 

Have to admit the only reason I've not added one of these to my own stash is not coming across any for sale yet so will be watching your progress with interest.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Col. said:

A great choice indeed commrade. Glad to see see you joining in the struggle against the tide of Capitalist oppression with such a fine example of glorious Soviet engineering :D 

Have to admit the only reason I've not added one of these to my own stash is not coming across any for sale yet so will be watching your progress with interest.

thanks Col!

yeah, a complete communist me is... that's why I have this, a Su-11, and lots of AM lying around... just waiting for a dedicated GB to happen! the Chinese Successors seem to know how to make capitalist business ;) at least with me!  :P

I repeat my question: any suggestions for appropriate airbases, Squadrons, numbers, (I know, red or blue... as long as it is black... )  

I noted that there are no dedicated decals out there!!!!!! 🤯

• Haha 2

I like!!! If it wasn't for the NMF I'd be building one of these or an Su-11 (I have a Kazan Su-11 conversion kit for the old OEZ Su-7).

Decals are hard to find but there again the marking didn't vary much from aircraft to aircraft. 

On 7/27/2018 at 5:31 AM, trickyrich said:

I like!!! If it wasn't for the NMF I'd be building one of these or an Su-11 (I have a Kazan Su-11 conversion kit for the old OEZ Su-7).

Decals are hard to find but there again the marking didn't vary much from aircraft to aircraft. 

you are on an old resin kits/ conversion track obviously!

Go for a Kazan Su-11! would be very interesting!

regarding decals... it is only board numbers... and stars, and maybe an excellent aircraft maintenance marking..... if they were around in the 60ies already!"

did some basic cutting and clean up,,,,, the nozzles are for the Su-7 (the Su-9/11 one is also available... bu I do not have it yet..) .... fit will be ok it seems!  way of an improvement anyways!

648446_224606_1644848944_224820_1

20180725_224507_1 - Kopie

more soon!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, exdraken said:

you are on an old resin kits/ conversion track obviously!

Go for a Kazan Su-11! would be very interesting!

hmm I don't know what's happened to me this year, I think all that resin dust has finally gotten to me and I'm starting to mutate into a resin beast! :zombie:

the main issue with the Su-11 is the nose section isn't quite round!! it's a wee bit oval so I'll have to fit one of those super cool aluminium air intakes. But it's not high of the project list as I don't have a donor kit yet.

• Haha 3

thanks all,

some progress, yeah looks like a fast build!

cockpit could indeed be better, but.......

Eduard only has PE for a Su-11, that looks different to me and the IP is actually the best aprt from the kit cockpit!

RedStar Models did one years ago, but actually I do not really trust the thing.... very very expensive and too many promises for my likeing....

20180729_223825_1

20180729_223922_2

nozzle area, with basic paint applied.... not the best photos, but you get the idea! the pipe is about 10cm! deep! what a waste in volume, just massive!! look at today's afterburner lengths.....

20180729_224316_1

and a quick compassion with an early Harrier model I am building.....

I mentioned elsewhere in the GB that US fighters of the time were big..... but Suchoi is not far behind! (as are some British designs... Gloster Jawelin anyone? :P

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, Marlin said:

Great start Werner. :D

How much bigger than the Su-7 are the -9 ?

/Bosse

The Su-9 and 11 basically used the same body with different engines, besides the new wings the only other really visible difference is the intake. The Su-9's was bigger and the Su-11's was huge. The Kazan conversion kit I have for the Su-11 is basically new wings and new nose and that's it. You can even see the design carried over to the early Su-17's and 20's.......a long pipe with a huge engine in it! Heavy metal at it's best!! :wub:

Werner,

I'm so looking forward to following this build, I just love these early Sukhoi's, I've built 3 and have 3 more waiting. You know you're going to make me buy a donor kit for the Su-11! I've already looked at the conversion kit I have!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

The Su-9 and 11 basically used the same body with different engines, besides the new wings the only other really visible difference is the intake. The Su-9's was bigger and the Su-11's was huge. The Kazan conversion kit I have for the Su-11 is basically new wings and new nose and that's it. You can even see the design carried over to the early Su-17's and 20's.......a long pipe with a huge engine in it! Heavy metal at it's best!! :wub:

Thanks Rich. :D

/Bosse

If you like the Sukhoi's then you have to build one of the 1/48th KoPro models (or Eduard ones if you can find them), they did the Su-7 and Su-17/22. They based on the original OEZ released models. They quite old now but surprisingly they still the most accurate around, and they're cheap, with a huge range of after market bits available and super fun to build and update. They leave for dead in my opinion the Kitty Hawk and Hobby Boss (?) Su-17/22's, both of which have issues with accuracy. From what I have read OEZ had access to the real things at that time, just before the collapse in the east.

8 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

If you like the Sukhoi's then you have to build one of the 1/48th KoPro models (or Eduard ones if you can find them), they did the Su-7 and Su-17/22. They based on the original OEZ released models. They quite old now but surprisingly they still the most accurate around, and they're cheap, with a huge range of after market bits available and super fun to build and update. They leave for dead in my opinion the Kitty Hawk and Hobby Boss (?) Su-17/22's, both of which have issues with accuracy. From what I have read OEZ had access to the real things at that time, just before the collapse in the east.

Thanks Rich.

I've already built one Su-7 (Kopro) and one Su-22 (Eduard) and I have a few more in the stash. :D

Old kits yes, but they can be built.

/Bosse, sorry for hi jacking your thread Werner. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, exdraken said:

I mentioned elsewhere in the GB that US fighters of the time were big..... but Suchoi is not far behind! (as are some British designs... Gloster Jawelin anyone? :P

Glorious Soviet technology has no need to be small or subtle commrade :D 

This really was the era of the big fighter/interceptor project. The Su-9/11 and Javelin were big machines but by no means the biggest with the Tu-128 and Lockheed A-12 easily dwarfing them and plenty other huge projects such as the F-108 and Fairey Delta III never making it off the drawing boards.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

I'm so looking forward to following this build, I just love these early Sukhoi's, I've built 3 and have 3 more waiting. You know you're going to make me buy a donor kit for the Su-11! I've already looked at the conversion kit I have!

Go on, go on, go on Rich. You know you want to. If for nothing more than your next fix of resin dust ;) 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Col. said:

Go on, go on, go on Rich. You know you want to. If for nothing more than your next fix of resin dust ;) 

Easy Col., 

We know Rich will concede finally....  :devil:

@trickyrich won't you?!

Edited by exdraken
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Col. said:

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

Easy Col., 

We know Rich will concede finally....  :devil:

@trickyrich won't you?!

I'm going to ignore you two!!!  :lalala:

• Haha 2

moving on:

20180731_063859_1

don't know yet how to make this resin seat fit the smallish tub...

20180731_064031_1

oh so green!

20180731_064132_1

that is one detail I really like .... if they have green di-electrics, the are Soviet!

and finally some photos!!:

http://aviadejavu.ru/Site/Crafts/Craft20798.htm

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 7

I'd be tempted to make the tub fit the seat Werner. Perhaps make a new floor and space the side consoles a bit more?

Know what you mean about the dielectric green; it's such a hallmark of Soviet aircraft during the Cold War.

Edited by Col.

wow that cockpit tub is small and the kit seat look silly it's way too small.

The tub looks to be quite a simple design, so it's a really a simple process to either make it wider, or to scratch build a new one. You'd need to remove the floor and replace with card, then carefully cut out each side panel and move out just enough for the seat to fit. The cockpit side walls I suspect could also be thinned back quite a bit as well, as they look quite thick in the photo. For me I'd simply rebuild the lot. 

The other thing is that you don't really see that much through the cockpit, so you could almost leave it....but the problem is the kit's seat, it just looks wrong.

Go on be adventurous, cut it up and rebuild it! What could possible go wrong.......and if it does then blame Col! :D

I also like "Dielectric Green"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1