Fairey Albacore Mk I, 36 Sqn, RAF Seletar, 1942

2 hours ago, Reini78 said:

Another sweet job, how is the SH kit? Any bigger problems?

Cheers Reini, warped lower wings took some straightening but that`s about it, went together quite well really.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2018 at 7:04 AM, russ c said:

But I am obliged to say it's an ugly thing. Is it one of those that flew following the laws of aerodynamics, or was it just repelled by the ground?

Yeah, but its Mother loved it ! 🙂

Cheers John and to everyone for your really positive posts and likes, appreciated 

There were not too many pretty carrier aircraft - Seafire accepted of course! Great build.

• Like 1

Wow Russ,..... I like that very, very much indeed,...... your rendition looks spot on to me mate,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Most of our aircraft built around that time do look as aerodynamic as a brick. Not the most beautiful of aircraft but you have done a good job building this one. One of the first things I look at when appreciating the modellers skills are the `window-frames` and how crisp they are. Glazing looks good. Also, nice weathering that looks pretty convincing.

• Like 1

Hello Russ,

Splendid job. What a beautiful aircraft (versus F-35).

Special Hobby is on the right track with bringing these gems on the market.

Regards, Orion.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely, I must tackle an Albacore as my Great Uncle died in one night bombing in the Western Desert.

23 July 1942.

Sub Lt. RNVR Oliver Dixon 815sqn FAA departed from HMS Grebe (Alexandria Airport)in his Albacore and never came back.  

William Way (Ty/Act/Leading Airman) and Harold Newbold (Ty/Sub Lt) were with him.

All posted missing.  The plaque to my Great Uncle is in Wilmslow in Cheshire.

It's an excellent build and I hope to be able to replicate your talents. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/26/2018 at 6:01 PM, Viking said:

Lovely build again Russ, top notch!

But I am obliged to say it's an ugly thing. Is it one of those that flew following the laws of aerodynamics, or was it just repelled by the ground? 😉

Cheers

John

I'm going to have to beg to differ John, and offer my view that the Albacore isn't that bad looking an aeroplane - no worse than, say, the Swordfish, and no one seems to think they're ugly! I think the Applecore has a certain antiquated charm....no?

What is beyond dispute is that you have done an exceptional job with building the kit Russ - a real beauty of a model whatever one thinks of the looks of the real thing. I finished one last year and generally enjoyed it - you see very few built, so it's great to see yours - thanks for sharing. How did you reproduce the "gaiters" around the flying wires where they emerge from the wings - I couldn't think of a way of doing these...?

Cheers,

Nick.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nickthebrief said:

I'm going to have to beg to differ John, and offer my view that the Albacore isn't that bad looking an aeroplane - no worse than, say, the Swordfish, and no one seems to think they're ugly! I think the Applecore has a certain antiquated charm....no?

What is beyond dispute is that you have done an exceptional job with building the kit Russ - a real beauty of a model whatever one thinks of the looks of the real thing. I finished one last year and generally enjoyed it - you see very few built, so it's great to see yours - thanks for sharing. How did you reproduce the "gaiters" around the flying wires where they emerge from the wings - I couldn't think of a way of doing these...?

Cheers,

Nick.

Thanks Nick, I made them out of kitchen roll soaked in watered down white glue.

cheers Russ