Tornado F.3 ADV early 1:48 Revell

Hi, started this on the RAF100 group build thread but ran out of time due to summer.

I will add to this as I complete the kit and am pleased with progress so far, the seats are a bit low in the cockpit as I cut the resin bases too short, but that's too late to fix.

tn_8a155e00-0286-4e27-b2ab-3bc2339fe3be.

• Like 2

Missed there, nice to have it here!

Wonder by the way if it would be beneficial to have GB Wips ALSO in the respective Wip sections automatically..this would give both threads more deserved attention!!

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments,

I am using the old Airfix markings for 29(F) squadron RAF circa 1988.

tn_0ceacd08-0314-47dd-82c0-a9945f8ba8ab.

and will end up hopefully looking like this...

1563436-large.jpg

<see original copyright holders details>

• Like 4

5 hours ago, 29Triplex said:

Can't wait to see the finished build, in all it's splendour - great work :thumbsup:

Knew you'd like it!  The decals lost most of their yellow in the sun, so thanks again. 🙂

On 7/26/2018 at 11:02 PM, bar side said:

What are the kit decal options? Same as the current 111 Sqn & 23 Sqn special tails?  Looking good

23 special & 111 special.  I am using the Airfix squadron markings, and Xtra Decal do a couple of sets of F.3 decals including the rather classy and restrained 25 squadron silver flashes.

• 3 weeks later...

Doing some more and have actually taken some pictures of my technique for the the pylons if anyone is interested.

As I build my Tornados with 'fixed' geometry I have no need of the swinging mechanism, and this complicates the build I leave all the gubbins out of the wing.

tn_5d81deea-21a7-41ba-8ce4-f1d084b12eca.

I then cut in half part number 48, 42 etc etc.

tn_6535f0b5-caec-409c-a6fc-a8f9550dcece.

This then gets sanded off to remove all the extra material, I have tried cutting closely enough to avoid this but it always leaves me too little material.

tn_088996a2-569f-4790-826b-f7722e2dde21.

This then can be glued onto the pylon.

tn_6f60e4b1-7c5f-491f-8c54-32d82a2ca8ac.

Allowing you to fix the pylons securely at the end of the build and align them properly.

• Thanks 1

Just a tip, Remember  if you are adding missiles that skyflash are light aircraft grey  with white radomes with Yellow and brown bands for live missiles, and Drill  missiles are gloss LAG with Oxford Blue bands and circles on the wings and fins. They would have DRILL in white stencilled on the bands and circles.

Sidewinders are  Gull grey with yellow and brown bands  Acquisition Sidewinders are  Camouflage grey with two roundel pink bands.

Selwyn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Selwyn,

I screwed up my SkyFlash and gave them grey noses.  Too late to fix it unfortunately. 

All finished here: