Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Julien

Telford 2018

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, colin said:

Not sure if I see how this will pan out, your halfway up the queue, you buy a ticket and you then walk down to the front, now someone 10 in front of you will see someone selling tickets, will they then leave the queue to make their way to you and ask for a ticket also so they can jump the queue.

Could be me but hope it doesn't turn into a scrum for tickets

If you were nearer the front of the queue, you would have been approached first. If you didn't take the opportunity to buy a ticket whose faults that?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the tips guys!

 

Yeah, I'll make sure I've got exact change for the ticket, so if that pans out nicely, hopefully it'll help speed things along, much appreciated.

 

From the sounds of things, it's going to kits as far as the eye can see... good job it was only pay day for me last week 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chris57 said:

If you were nearer the front of the queue, you would have been approached first. If you didn't take the opportunity to buy a ticket whose faults that?.

So your not making your way up the queue but staying down the front, and so whos' going to say no m8 I don't need a ticket I'll wait till I get to the front 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, colin said:

Not sure if I see how this will pan out, your halfway up the queue, you buy a ticket and you then walk down to the front, now someone 10 in front of you will see someone selling tickets, will they then leave the queue to make their way to you and ask for a ticket also so they can jump the queue.

Could be me but hope it doesn't turn into a scrum for tickets

Colin, it's something I raised with the IPMS UKLO before the AGM.

Not my idea, but my wifes. It's a possible way to shorten the queue, and if it isn't tried, we'll never know.

A reason some people won't take up the offer may be down to not having the correct money, OR,

as Kallisti has said he is unsure if the teams that Farnborough are putting out will be selling day only

or weekend wristbands.

 

HTH

Paul

 

Edited by PhoenixII
Finger problems - TOO ruddy many!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything that shortens the queue is fine by me, I'll have the exact monies ready and waiting, hope it all go's to plan and you have no hassle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, spaddad said:

More than you could possibly imagine

If you see something you fancy buy it, don’t leave it till later as it will be gone.. there will be thousands doing the same.  I can speak from bitter experience. Also, there are no under the table kit sales like you see at regional shows.  There is kit swap (Pre-owned kit sales), check timings for non members

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For non IPMS visitors the kit swap will be open from 1.00pm on Saturday and 11.30am on the Sunday. 

It is the only show where I have written out a shopping list and I have marked up the Floorplan with traders I want to visit to purchase stuff from as it a good way to manage buying (I save a small amount every week and it soon builds up over the year)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr T said:

For non IPMS visitors the kit swap will be open from 1.00pm on Saturday and 11.30am on the Sunday. 

It is the only show where I have written out a shopping list and I have marked up the Floorplan with traders I want to visit to purchase stuff from as it a good way to manage buying (I save a small amount every week and it soon builds up over the year)

 

Good Lord, I thought I was the only one who did that!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, R159 said:

If you see something you fancy buy it, don’t leave it till later as it will be gone.. there will be thousands doing the same.  I can speak from bitter experience. Also, there are no under the table kit sales like you see at regional shows.  There is kit swap (Pre-owned kit sales), check timings for non members

Good advice for everyone, whether they are new visitors or old hands. If you see it, buy it right away. Don't forget that there are hundreds (if not thousands) of visitors from overseas and unless they live in places like Germany, Poland or the Czech Republic, they are starved of readily available kits....I should know, I currently live in a modelling desert otherwise known as Estonia. The Italian kit market is a shadow of its former self from the mid 2000s when I lived there and Japanese kits in particular are highly sought after. Like the co-respondent, I can speak from bitter experience 'Yep.....I'll come back and get that later (i.e. in 10 minutes time....oh, Its gone !). 

 

The IPMS Kit Swap is an excellent venue, even after the early morning hordes have swarmed through, with some good bargains to be picked up but again, do not hesitate. If you are a first time visitor do not underestimate the sheer scale of the event.....Its HUGE and you should heed the advice about producing a 'roadmap' of those traders you want to seek out......some of the smaller ones can be easily missed. Again some of the overseas traders can only bring limited stocks over so target them early if you want to guarantee getting something more esoteric from the likes of Canada, South Korea or Japan, for example.  

 

Above all else, ENJOY !

 

See you there     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a traders location floorplan available somewhere and does anyone know where I can access it?

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As well as all the traders there to relieve of you of your hard earned money, do not forget all the fantastic models, including many from contributers to this worthy site. If you look at the photo of Telford on the IPMS site, they show just one hall, so to get any sense of the size, triple that and put a lot more people in. You need stamina and discipline to get around and maintain a healthy bank account. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Mr T said:

As well as all the traders there to relieve of you of your hard earned money, do not forget all the fantastic models, including many from contributers to this worthy site. If you look at the photo of Telford on the IPMS site, they show just one hall, so to get any sense of the size, triple that and put a lot more people in. You need stamina and discipline to get around and maintain a healthy bank account. 

Gordon,

 

I may be considered slightly odd, but I tend not to go to the competition area at all. I have done, but I found it so crowded and cramped that it was hard to get a decent look at the often amazing builds and worthy winners. And in one day you might not have time, as  to reinforce what Mr T said, the club tables often have some - well all have fantastic builds, which to me are worthy of being competition winners. As well as those builds, many club members produce wonderfully wacky, witty, thought provoking, ironic and simply breathtaking builds and well worth looking at as many as possible.

 

if I can be indulged, among those categories I have seen Wallace and Grommit modelled as the T-1000 liquid metal terminator as a policeman from Terminator 2, a display of egg planes captioned Scramble Scramble Scramble, Bouncing Betty - Uniformed joie de vivre personified!, A WW1 soldier patrolling a wintry countryside, follwed by the grim reaper (still makes the hairs rise on the back of my neck thinking about it), the model of a club table at a modelshow ....  the egg plane (a corsair) painted up as a Cadbury's creme egg (on a wrapper), the WW2 diorama of an US carrier under a kamikazi attack (IPMS Austria if I believe0, the magnificent resin Imperial Star destroyer (with two little touches I never spotted at the show and only saw months after looking at the photo's I took at SMW).

 

And yes, many contributions from Britmodellers.

 

And the club's often have themes for their displays; eg The North Devon Pirates display, where the club members dressed as .... errr ... well, pirates, the table dressed loosely to looklike a ship, and the models all types with piratical names (corsair, buccaneer, etc), or the fabulous display called the Great British makeoff, where the models were displayed on themed cakestands, eg Luftwaffle!

 

 

You might even see a Martian gliding around ......................................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Whofan said:

.......You might even see a Martian gliding around .................................

Remember, for the Martian the password is :bandit: 

 

 

 

 

 

Wibble!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, R159 said:

If you see something you fancy buy it, don’t leave it till later as it will be gone.. there will be thousands doing the same. . .

Wise advice. I've seen a stack of over 30 kits disappear in 20 minutes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Black Knight said:

IPMS website

https://ipmsuk.org/ipms-scale-modelworld/scale-modelworld-floor-plan/

Click on each link at it'll load a PDF page of each one

Thanks for that, all printed out now.

 

Cheers

 

Dennis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Remember, for the Martian the password is :bandit: 

 

 

 

 

 

Wibble!

Don't forget your tinfoil hat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Don't forget your tinfoil hat.

Need more than a tinfoil hat................

have you SEEN the tentacles! 👾

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PhoenixII said:

Need more than a tinfoil hat................

have you SEEN the tentacles! 👾

Martian calamari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wavodavo said:

What time does the main car park open?

Normally around 8:00 a.m. unless the traffic queues are blocking the roundabout and Shropshire's finest 'have a quiet word' with the lads on the gate.........:whistle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2018 at 5:15 PM, amblypygid said:

The stash is bulging so I'm there for the Britmodellers and the models, not loot

That will be seriously challenged when you are in the middle of all those lovely trade stands.😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Normally around 8:00 a.m. unless the traffic queues are blocking the roundabout and Shropshire's finest 'have a quiet word' with the lads on the gate.........:whistle:

Cheers - I'm leaving early anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything packed, will be leaving tomorrow at 05:30 for a long drive to Telford.

Enjoy yourselves, I will be at the overseas area near the Twenot buildinggroup Breda area.

Have some Britmodeller group build kits with me.

Edited by Lex77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×