New Metro 6R4 kit

Scarlet

13 hours ago, Scarlet said:

a glaring spelling mistake. The co-driver gas been renamed Angel Harris!

Looks like it's catching.....!! :)

Sorry, :coat:on, gone...

Keith

PS sounds like a great kit. Must resist, must resist, mus.........

Just got this kit, looking forward to building it, not sure what they will do about the error. I'm hoping someone will produce a conversion decal set for Tony Pond's car anyway which would solve the problem for me! 

1 hour ago, Deanali said:

Just got this kit, looking forward to building it, not sure what they will do about the error. I'm hoping someone will produce a conversion decal set for Tony Pond's car anyway which would solve the problem for me! 

There's a sheet announced by Decalcas which is for the Metro 6R4 as raced at the Lombard Rac in 1985. It's for Tony Pond/Rob Arthur..

https://www.spotmodel.com/product_info.php?products_id=53351

"Yes, just checked on YouTube, they definitely had Computervision logo's on the '85 Rac rally.." 

Ooh, Yes, you're right, now I'll have to check the differences between the two! 

Edited by Deanali

22 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I noticed on a youtube unboxing that the kit appears to have tarmac wheels - I take it there's no tamac tyres in it though?

Keith

Which one are you referring to Keith? The Jimmy McRae Rothmans or the Computervision version? I think that both types of wheel are included in both kits. But I think they're both gravel wheels? The tarmac wheels are larger in diameter and can also carry ventilators. They do some at Spotmodel (link below) that are tarmac rims, but I think they have slick tyres? I'm sure they would have been treaded, especially on the Rac Rally?

https://www.spotmodel.com/product_info.php?products_id=54093

Edited by Steve Noble

1 hour ago, Deanali said:

Yes both wheels with each kit as they are on the same sprue. I have taken a picture with the tyres fitted, but can't find a way to link it from Onedrive

I have a feeling the kit rims, both types, are gravel type? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve Noble said:

I'm sure they would have been treaded, especially on the Rac Rally?

Most certainly they would - & IIRC they wouldn't usually use tarmac tyres on the few non gravel (usually stately home) stages as they were usually wet and muddy anyway! I'd seen the Rennaissance set, and tbh I'm still trying to find out if pure slicks were ever allowed on European events - they never were in the UK. 

As to the kit wheels, I thought the five spoke ones in the kit looked a bit bigger than the multi spoke ones, so thought they might have been tarmac spec.

Keith

edit -" they never were in the UK." - I should have said except for single venue stage rallies where there are no public road link sections.

3 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Most certainly they would - & IIRC they wouldn't usually use tarmac tyres on the few non gravel (usually stately home) stages as they were usually wet and muddy anyway! I'd seen the Rennaissance set, and tbh I'm still trying to find out if pure slicks were ever allowed on European events - they never were in the UK.

Tour de Corse saw slicks used in these days. Not sure of anything specifically with the Metros though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Were they pure slicks or hand cut slicks with basic tread do you know?

Pure slicks. I have several photos of different Audi quattro versions and Renault 5 Turbos from Corsica on slicks. Of other events I know very little though.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

Pure slicks. I have several photos of different Audi quattro versions and Renault 5 Turbos from Corsica on slicks. Of other events I know very little though.

Excellent, many thanks for the info.! 👍 :)

Keith

26 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

As to the kit wheels, I thought the five spoke ones in the kit looked a bit bigger than the multi spoke ones, so thought they might have been tarmac spec.

Keith

I thought so too, but I've watched quite a few videos from the '86 Rac Rally, especially Jimmy McRae's car and he seems to use those 5 spoke rims on most stages, gravel or tarmac/stately homes. I've found 1 picture on the web that shows his car on the same wheel rims that Renaissance are offering, not sure which stage it's from though..

• Like 1

In the case of Jimmy McRae's car I've been trying to find out if it ever ran with the full Rothman's Rally livery on any event? I know 100% that it didn't use the Rothman's on the Rac Rally as they weren't allowed. But can't find any photo's of them on the British Championship either. I may go against the grain and just apply them on mine when I build it, they just look so much better than the 'Racing' logo that they used in the Rac Rally. Technically it will be wrong, but a little artistic license is allowed sometimes 🙂

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Steve Noble said:

But can't find any photo's of them on the British Championship either.

Pretty sure you won't tbh Paul, I think it was a UK Government blanket ban on all sports tobacco advertising - I recall going to a ''Rothmans" rally evening at a local motor club and everything had been re-branded as Rallying or Racing....!!

K

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Pretty sure you won't tbh Paul, I think it was a UK Government blanket ban on all sports tobacco advertising - I recall going to a ''Rothmans" rally evening at a local motor club and everything had been re-branded as Rallying or Racing....!!

K

Oh well, I'll have to model the 'what if' Metro then..

• Like 1

The Prodrive 6R4s did indeed have the Rothmans logos on them at the start of the British Rally Championship in 1986, but the BBC insisted it would not show the tv highlights if the car did not remove the branding. They even provided a highlights show when McRae won and they did not include any images of the car at all. After a couple of rounds the Rothmans was replaced by Racing. It didn't stop the BBC from showing snooker sponsored by Embassy at the same time though!

Regarding the wheels and tyres. there were two main types of wheel used, but there are many tyre options from ice tyres with studs through to pure slicks and everything in between. There should be many images of events like the Circuit of Ireland, Manx, Welsh and RAC events to find inspiration.

Edited by Flintstone
spelling error
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...