1/600 Queen Elizabeth 2

This kit was first issued in 1969 and I have a very early edition in a really ratty looking box. This will be a great way to build a kit and get rid of a box that is on the verge of falling apart. Pictures to follow.

• Like 3

So here is the QE2 kit. Based on the kit number, F603S, this was made sometime between 1969 and 1972. It still has the old style written instructions. The box is very crumpled and, although the kit parts are in their original bag, one hull half has a crack in it. I believe it will repair easily. I'm going to try and sun-bleach the decal sheet but it may be too far gone.

Group Build Kits

Group Build Kits

Group Build Kits

Group Build Kits

• Like 8

Another liner gets started! Things are looking up at this end of the Group Build.

One of the last really elegant liners. The current converted container ship/block of flats that calls itself a liner looks very cheap and nasty next to this regal beauty.

The builder in me says go for it, it needs building for sure. The collector in me shudders at the thought of opening that sealed bag ,full of mint parts. I can really make problems for myself, even when there are none there!

I'm looking forward to seeing this one come together, it's one of the few Airfix ship kits I've never built.

• Like 2

Yes, fabulous choice, and great to see another liner added to the Group Build! I cannot remember whether I have built this one in the past, so I will watch with bated breath how you get on!

Cheers,

Ray

Ahh, proper instructions!.  I learnt so much about ship, aircraft and AFV construction when I was a youngster from reading those type of instructions that told you what each part was.

I seem to recall this is a great kit from when I last made it which must have been about the time of that boxing!

• Like 1

On 7/26/2018 at 2:08 PM, Chewbacca said:

I seem to recall this is a great kit from when I last made it which must have been about the time of that boxing!

TBH, the hull seems really flimsy. I've glued it together and the fit was not great. I'm also bracing the hull bottom with short pieces of sprue across the join line. This should prevent the seam from flexing and cracking in the future. I'll post pictures when I get to the point  I'm happy with it. I think I will also add some weight in the bottom of the hull so it will be more stable on its stand.

One other thing about this kit, it represents the ship in its early steam powered days. When the ship was re-engined as a diesel electric in the 1986-87 it got a new funnel and variable pitch propellers. In 1972 there was an addition of luxury suites on the upper deck behind the bridge. There is a in this area on the Airfix kit. These accommodations were expanded again in 1977. Without modifications, the Airfix kit represents the ship as it appeared from its entry into service in 1969 up through the 1972 when the first luxury suites were added. I believe that the 1/450 QE2 kit, which originated with Otaki but has appeared under many other labels including Gunze-Sangyo and Revell, represents the ship as it existed from 1972 through 1977. Note that the funnel was black and the funnel casing  white until 1982, when the ship was modified for service in the Falklands War. After the war the ship went through a brief period when it had a white hull and grey funnel, but this was abandoned in 1983 when the funnel casing was finally painted Cunard Red.

Addendum: the 1/1200 Revell QE2, which was a new tool around 2002, represents the ship  post-diesel conversion.

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 2

I can't recall ever building an airfix ship.  Did a revell titanic and a 1/350 titanic but think that's about it.  I must say these ship builds are tempting me ;)

• Like 2

I would give the decals a clear coat, to be on the safe side. I've had early Airfix decals crack up on me even though they looked fine on the backing sheet.

Tony.

On 7/27/2018 at 10:12 AM, Lawzer said:

I must say these ship builds are tempting me ;)

Come on in, the water's lovely!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, TonyW said:

I would give the decals a clear coat, to be on the safe side. I've had early Airfix decals crack up on me even though they looked fine on the backing sheet.

I'll put a coat of Microscale decal film/restorer on. That should eliminate any tendency for shattering. 

• Like 3

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've made some progress assembling the hull and the upper deck sub-assemblies and will post some pictures over the weekend. I'm almost to the point where I can start throwing some paint on.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 02/08/2018 at 17:06, VMA131Marine said:

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've made some progress assembling the hull and the upper deck sub-assemblies and will post some pictures over the weekend. I'm almost to the point where I can start throwing some paint on.

Just reminding myself that we have this beauty to look forward to! It would be good to compare the 'modern' shape with the original QE. Hope it's going to plan. Regards, Mike.

• Like 2