Something Fast - RA5C Vigilante

If you'd asked me at the age of 10 to design an aeroplane I would have drawn a massive dart that could do Mach 2+ and fire nuclear bombs out of its cat flap.... and I would have been 20 years too late.

RA5C Vigilante.

P7251670.jpg

P7251671.jpg

P7251672.jpg

P7251674.jpg

P7251673.jpg

Bought for £8 on eBay.

50 year old tooling, half a set of Zeroxed instructions and some decals of uncertain provenance.

I have to say that I'm quite pleased with the outcome. Had a bit of a battle with the white paint, but I'm glad I learnt from this before committing to a kit that cost three times the price (Dragon Sea Vixen FAW-2, should you ask).

Edited by Harry_the_Spider
  • Like 44

It was a delight to build.

A fair bit of filler on top as one half of the fuselage had warped a bit, but other than that it was spot on. The first decal, the big one on the tail, fell apart, but after that it was plane sailing. The decals are lovely too, very thin and delicate.

Edited by Harry_the_Spider

• 1 year later...

One really impressive build. I'm not a fan of aircraft without a propeller (gliders excepted), however, the Vigilante is one jet that does take my fancy. I've got a Trumpeter 1/72 Vigilante kit on its way at the moment which I'm really looking forward to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

what’s next Hornet, A-7 ?

I've got a Hornet, A7, another Tomcat and an Intruder somewhere.

I go through phases. Twin tailed fast jets at the moment, just finished an F15E and 2 x SU34s are WIP with a Mig 29 to follow.

I think I'm going WW2 RAF Ground Attack next (2 x Typhoon, a Tempest, a Mossie and a Beaufighter) followed by Harriers (3 off) then back to Cold War US Navy. Got to finish the Victor too, and my Sea Vixen keeps looking at me in a funny was.

….and then there's a B17, Dambusters Lanc and Shackleton.

And an A10, Catlina, a Viggen, at least 4 Spitfires and a Sea King.

And a Life Boat.