1/72 Hawker Typhoon 1b

16 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

Looking great so far! 

My view is that after your effort in sprucing up the cockpit, it'd be a shame to use the flat sided, sit up and beg original canopy. It's your build, but could you use one from the nt kit instead?

Regards

Martin

Yeah I was playing around with the kit part last night.  'orrible it is.  Nothing to suggest where to mask it and it looks "odd" when sitting in place.

I was going to try and use the canopy from the new tool airfix kit but I fear the appeture may be too big (as in the front windscreen just falls into the hole and the rear sliding canopy just didn't seem to sit right as the fuselage is kind of flat).  I am away for work for a week so I will have a fidle with it when I get back......

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Well it's got some colour on it now....

SAM_0148

SAM_0149

yellow bands are TOO big but by my reckoning it will make identification even easier....🤣

You can sort of see the "flat spot" behind the cockpit which throws off the new tool canopy.

When I was applying the "stickers" I was quite surprised to see they were printed by Cartograph.....went on flawlessly (well, the fact that the decals are not exactly where they are meant to be cannot be blamed on Airifx ;) ).

Bit of tidying up to do in general (especially the wheel wells) and then time to move onto the ahem landing gear....

Anyway, that'll all have to wait till next Friday when I'm back after what will no doubt be a glorious trip away for work.....

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Lawzer said:

Well it's got some colour on it now..yellow bands are TOO big but by my reckoning it will make identification even easier....🤣

Looks like it's got a lot of colour, and stickers, on it now - you've been modelling during daylight hours again. The Typhoon is really looking the part now. Is the wing yellow for ID? I've always thought it was some sort of warning (on Spits and Hurricanes) to keep clear of the field of fire of the mg's No mg's on the Typhoon, though.

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 1

Wow - not bad for a 1959 mould there Ian! You’ve more than managed to make this kit quite presentable which is no easy feat that I’m sure many a previous modeller can vouch for. 

This GB is certainly bringing the best out of these kits and it will be a shame to see it all end in a few weeks from now. Let’s make sure the Classic Frog GB gets up in 2019. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 4

Looking great, Ian!

I have plans to try to spruce up this kit in future, addressing cockpit, canopy, wheel wells and radiator entry and exit.  One day, perhaps.

(I was going to ask whether you were going fill the flat bit behind the pilot's seat.)

Regards

Martin

• Like 2

On 16/08/2018 at 20:08, Lawzer said:

hhmmm....maybe....

Welcome back! I see there is an article in this month's Aeroplane on the only complete Typhoon 1B in existence and the pic shows that your yellow bands are spot on. Stop worrying... Cheers. Mike

100_2443

• Like 3

Thanks folks.

I had a quick dibble last night and the new tool canopy will fit BUT I will only get 1 shot at it - the overlap between the fuselage opening and the windscreen is VERY minimal.  The hood not so bad.

@mike romeo if i'd thought about it before i applied paint I probably should have done something to the rear of the seat.  Even if just to round it off a little bit more as it does look pretty flat.....I might see if I can fathom a way to add what I assume is a light of some kind just to give it a bit of depth.

So although the main assembly is finished I reckon I'm about 2/3 the way through.

the landing gear and wheels are just horrible. I was looking to see if I had anything in the spares that could at least cover the non existent wheel hub but alas no.  I may have to resort to some punched card....

And I will attempt to put the yellow bands on the rockets.  I may have a cunning plan for that......

and thanks to @Ventora3300 for the link to the article - maybe they're not too big ;)

and also thanks to @stevej60 for the "v's"....

Edited by Lawzer
  • Like 3

OK so getting nearer the finish line...

DSC_5741

Had to bodge the wheels but believe me they are honestly a lot better than they were originally ;)

Since I said no to the airfix offer of 4 quid for another canopy for the new tool kit I might have to "pose" the new tool canopy on this for photos then fit the errr....."kit part" when it goes to join the rest of lawzer's airforce on the shelf....

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Rockets are looking ready to fire too - did you say previously you had a plan for the tiny stripes on them? How were they done?

I did have every intention of using thread dipped in paint as there's engraved lines on the rockets but i chickened out and cut some tape instead......

14 minutes ago, BIG X said:

nice work mate - very neat and tidy - more than can be said for your bench - you mucky pup. ;)

Yeah i spilled something on the mat - it may have been super glue but i can't be sure.... 

Still, always the other side of it 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lawzer said:

I did have every intention of using thread dipped in paint as there's engraved lines on the rockets but i chickened out and cut some tape instead......

Yeah i spilled something on the mat - it may have been super glue but i can't be sure.... 

Still, always the other side of it 😁

Thread dipped in paint eh - everyday is a school day round here - still if tape works - go for it I say...

• Like 2

Another classic kit brought up to modern day standards. You have really transformed this basic kit into something quite special and I’m amazed how good the finished product looks. Well done. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

A few details and a whole lot of careful modelling and the result is a model to be proud of. Top Marks!

Seeing the potential that lurks inside that old kit has got me wanting to have a go myself. I'm not sure if I have a spare candidate hiding somewhere or other. I'll have a look at some point.

• Like 3