1/72 Hawker Typhoon 1b

So, not wanting to do another mosquito or 109 (for the moment.....) this (after a perhaps not really too well planned purchase on fleabay last night....but I did get it pretty cheap 😁 ) will be my next entry:

typhoon172

This is the picture form the auction listing and from what I can tell it's a 2008 boxing of the (unchanged other than the decals!) original 1959 kit.  I should get the kit Friday so I will then see what I've let myself in for.....

I think this boxing has options for 2 aircraft - 183 squadron or 247 squadron.

Seems only bombs are included (hardly surprising considering the challenges in creating a 1/72 rocket in 1959) so I'll see if I can find any photos of the specific aircraft cause afaik it was common place for a squadron to be either bomb carriers OR rocket launchers.  However not going to get hung up on such minor details ;)

• Like 5

The bombs are terrible ( well, so is the whole kit ) Other than for nostalgic reasons, I'd turf the lot and get the new Airfix release. If you're looking for an earlier Tiffy with the small tailplanes and 3-blade prop, I'd go Academy.

My 2 cents worth.

Chris

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

The bombs are terrible ( well, so is the whole kit ) Other than for nostalgic reasons, I'd turf the lot and get the new Airfix release. If you're looking for an earlier Tiffy with the small tailplanes and 3-blade prop, I'd go Academy.

My 2 cents worth.

Chris

I bought the new tool one a couple of months back and from seeing that kit compared to the sprue shots i've found of the old one it's not hard to see which is the nearly 50 year younger kit 😆

But, for this gb nostalga is the name of the game....when i get the kit though i might see how big a job it would be to remove the moulded bomb racks and use the rockets from the new tool kit (still having the bomb racks and bombs from new kit for that build).

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, BIG X said:

So do we get some sprue shots...

When it arives but of course! 

I think there's like 30 parts (maybe less) but considering the old monogram 1/48 has something like 50 parts (and 8 of those are the rockets) we'll see how it goes.....

i built the daily fail spitfire in 1/72 which for me was a bit of a challenge (being that my fat fingers v's tiny parts usually does not end well) so i'm not expecting too much 😁

• Haha 2

I found a picture online of HF-L which shows the bomb racks and found a post on here relating to ZY-G which confirms it was a bomb carrier too so no rockets..... :(

I like rockets.......

• Sad 2

I've still got one of these kits in stock, plus a HPM  https://www.hpmhobbies.com/high-planes-plus-hawker-typhoon-1b-bomb-phoon-detail-set-1-72/

conversion for the new tool Airfix kit with decals to do it as HF-L as one option. I'm keen to do a line up of various HF-Ls one of these days. This will include the original so carry on Lawzer, I'm watching. :)

Steve.

• Like 2

Hhmmmm on inspection of the new tool kit I see the canopy comes in 2 parts.  Sadly the bubbletop in my box has a bit of a flaw:

canopy

I might contact airfix to see if I can get a free replacement and if so might use this on the old tool one.

Reading this post more carefully:

ZY-G after the RP mods returned as ZY-V so a rocket carrier is a possibility if I can get hold of a couple of "V's" in 1/72..... :)

(if I can even attempt to remove the bomb racks!)

• Like 2

As promised:

SAM_0139

Decals look good.  A bit of flash but nothing too bad.

Some spectacular sink marks though:

SAM_0142

As you can see from the above photo and the one below removing the bomb racks may not really be an option:

SAM_0141

Airfix responded to my request for a spare canopy for the new tool kit - 4 quid.  So maybe not ;)

So for the time being I'm resisting the urge to set about it with a saw and I will look tonight to see if adding the rockets will look totally out of place (as they're rather nicely moulded) or if I should just replace the kit bombs with the ones from the new tool kit.

I'll have a think if it's within my patience threshold to add some wheel well detail and see if I can open up the radiator flap a bit.  And even with the jam jar canopy in place I'll have to try and add SOMETHING into the cockpit as opposed to the gaping hole that's there.....

Or it may end up in the box on the shelf with me pretending I never bought it......😆

• Like 3

Yes, this is the 'old tool' kit all right - matches what I have in the 'bagged' 'Red Stripe' packaging. Grit your teeth and you should be able to cut/sand off the bomb mounts, back the sinkage holes with plastic and fill and sand? Those rockets (just like the same vintage Hurricane IV RP?) will look great.

I would agree that internal PE, like in the cockpit, is a bit of a luxury at 1/72 so maybe you should just see what you can do with a bit of scratchbuilding?

What I liked about the Typhoon 1B was the big thick wing - you can surf on it when 'ditching', wheels up of course!

Looking forward to this one. Cheers. Mike

• Haha 2

No going back now..... 😨

SAM_0143

Yeah I'll try and put in some "framing" to the cockpit (probably only some thin rod) and something to cover the end forward of where the ip should be.  I doubt much else will be seen.

I'll put some plasticard over the whole of the top of wheel well therefore avoiding any filling / sanding (which for the life of me cannot do very well ;) ).  I can then add some more rod to at least give the appearance of what it should be.....

• Like 3

So a bit of progress....

I had hoped this would be a quick build with only 30 parts (and 4 of those not being used!) but when I put the fuselage together to see what it was like the cockpit just (even for ME!) was far too bare - even under the jam jar cockpit which seems to act as a perfect magnifying glass....

DSC_5728

The "frame" is some .2mm square rod. I had some pe left over from the mosquito and although the wrong scale it livens up the cockpit a bit.  In all honesty not THAT much can be seen but still.  IP was cut from card using the part from the new tool kit as a template and the "decal" is a photocopy stuck on with pva.  If the compass stays where it should be is another matter.  I know the typhoon didn't have a cockpit floor as such but  it's beyond my skills to replicate that especially in 1/72 so the floor is actually a gift card envelope thing that's embossed.  You can't really see it in the photo but if you squint and unfocus a bit it NEARLY looks like the heel plates are there. 😆

So major assembly now complete...

DSC_5729

And I tried my best to make something akin to the MLG bays:

DSC_5733

(the seam from the nose isn't nearly as bad as it look in the photo ;) )

I've built the pilot seat up a bit and would like to add some belts but I don't know if my eyesight is that good or my knife that sharp to cut some tape that thin.....

I tried to open up behind the radiator.  Looks OK but not the neatest job in the world.  Blanked off the front of the radiator and have found a PE grill from I think a fw190 that will fit pretty well.

So next stop some primer we'll see where we are....

Out of interest I put the fuselage and wings against each other from this and the new tool kit.

overall dimensions are the same but on the new tool the cockpit "opening" is smaller, the MLG bays are smaller and the cannons move a bit inboard.

Never thought so much fun could be had from such a small bit of plastic 🤣

• Like 5

Those 'V's in the code letters - how many mm tall...

I have V's in 8mm / 10mm / 12mm - next question...

What colour - mine are light sea grey I think...

• Like 2

I suppose I could send you the Z's and Y's too - to be on the safe side - so everything is the same colour - but they need to be the right size for the fuselage...

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, BIG X said:

I suppose I could send you the Z's and Y's too - to be on the safe side - so everything is the same colour - but they need to be the right size for the fuselage...

Thanks steve!

8mm (ish) in sky.

@stevej60 has kindly donated the v's from the new tool kit so sorted 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The first issue of this kit had very restrained panel lines, along with most of the rest of the range. The Rivetmeister hadn't joined the company yet. Kits like the Typhoon, second Spitfire and Mosquito are best looked for in the earliest issue possible issue for clean, rivet free moldings. By the time the T3 Roy Cross issues started to appear, the dreaded rivets crept into the range. I think the Defiant was the first of the riveted kits.

Here's how the first release looked. Hopefully the second shot will show a cleanly molded wing.

IMG_5127.jpg

IMG_5130.jpg

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looking great so far! 

My view is that after your effort in sprucing up the cockpit, it'd be a shame to use the flat sided, sit up and beg original canopy. It's your build, but could you use one from the nt kit instead?

Regards

Martin

• Like 2