1/144 Airbus a340-600 conversion

1 hour ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Ray, Could you use two A330 decals from Draw?

Cheers,

Ian

Ian, I have been considering it.

I have also talked to Greg at Draw a few years ago about a -600 sheets which he said he had in the works,  Apparently, the Eithad decals don't sell that well so he has not invested any more time making new ones.

The issue with getting 2 A330 sheets is the $20US price tag per sheet, and then I need to modify parts as reverse door surround colours go through the Etihad titling on the -600 but not on the -300.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Phil,

Looks like you're just about there, just the windows to go and there's lots of them! Like you I only had some rear door details left on the fuselage and the cockpit windscreen. I found it easier to place the doors on first then use the door details for getting the height of the windows right. Make sure you use a piece of card with a straight edge as this will help keeping everything straight, and don't forget the rear windows slope up quite a lot.

I'll bet you'll be glad to see the end of this one, I know I was! Even though I've been working on mine significantly longer I think we've both had a challenging time with it for one reason or another!

Glad to see you managed to cut the notch at the bottom of the rudder too.

Should be in RFI in next to no time.

Cheers,

Ian

got the windows and doors on today ian, what a nightmare! i went with your method and used a ruler to keep checking the doors were the same height all the way along then used them to help place the windows. 

its been a challenge mate but i've thoroughly enjoyed it from construction phase to painting. yes mate the rudder nearly caught me out - and i had already glued it in place when i saw a reference shot with the chunk missing! 

time to crack on with the engines 

phil

19 hours ago, Graeme H said:

Really good to see this one getting closer to the finish line, the painting trials and tribulations are a problem we airliner modellers have to deal with.

thanks graeme. indeed mate, I don't think there has ever been a straight forward project, not as far as I'm concerned anyway! in the future i'm considering going with all tamiya paints and ditching enamel to reduce the time i spending on each project. I briefly went with water based but encountered a few peeling disasters during masking. 

phil

doors and windows on, 3-d ones courtesy of authentic airliners

z8W8KFH.jpg

a quick comparison to the 787-9. despite its slightly narrower fuselage it dwarfs what is meant to be a large airliner. although the tail is the same tamiya red the dreamliner fuselage has been coated in mica 1 by xtracolor and has a slightly more silver shine as opposed to the mica 2 finish on the a340-600. 

iYukLmO.jpg

ADsBZIV.jpg

the underside titles start further down than the fuselage titles. 

nNgmDOO.jpg

lLjmO2M.jpg

there are a few problems applying this decal, I've left 2 holes for presumably the VHF antennas ( you can see them inbetween the 'n' and just after) which cant be covered with decal. Then there's the rotating beacon and other details that need to stay out the way. luckily the decals from pas are versatile, so i've basically trimmed the decal inside the 'n' and the 'c' to leave a gap. I've also cut the decal in half to avoid the placing of the 2nd antenna. 

7w8id6b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have no idea how I missed this thread until now.  Congratulations on a truly amazing piece of work!

Reading through the earlier posts I see the references to Mark Stanton's book. It's an excellent resource and I would also recommend "Modeling Airliners" (yes, it's the American spelling!) by Aaron Skinner. It's more of a general "how to" type book than Mark's which reads like a series of individual projects. The two books cover the subject from different angles and I think they complement each other.

Re your issues with matching Coroguard, I realise it's academic for this model but Airbus have stopped using Coroguard and now use a coating called Aeroflex. I don't know when the change happened or which coating was used on the A346 but if you're modelling a newer Airbus aircraft Aeroflex is RAL7004 which Revell 374 matches almost perfectly.  There is an interesting discussion of Airbus wing colours in this thread.

Looking forward to the finished model

Dave G

• Like 1

Like the look ot the finish on the 787, seems better on my monitor, now idea how they look in real life

I converted to Tamiya acrylics a long time ago, really like them

I recently tried their Lacquers, which are supposed to be a decanted version of the spray cans, the white was really bad, no opacity at all

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi - I have only just found this very interesting build, and very brave adaption upto a -600.

A smashing WIP to read through - have I missed the completed model somewhere over on the RFI or is this monster still in the hangar?

Fab build

John

• Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 4:14 PM, Gimme Shelter said:

Hi - I have only just found this very interesting build, and very brave adaption upto a -600.

A smashing WIP to read through - have I missed the completed model somewhere over on the RFI or is this monster still in the hangar?

Fab build

John

thanks john! I'm afraid this ones still in progress, I'm having problems due to the complexity of the paintjob on the pylons of the trent 500s. I've got some more decals on so now its just a matter of just getting them up to standard then it will be RFI!

phil

This 600 is now G-VRED 'surfer girl'. I've used the reg letters off a virgin a330/a340-300 decal set and painstakingly cut out and applied each letter. You can just make out the last 2 letters on the tail too.  cargo doors have also been applied.

6sBELM9.jpg

emergency exit markers on the wing and virgin titles on the winglets have been applied. both come from the virgin a330/a340-300 decal set. you can just make out one of the holes on the fuselage for me to add the antennas

6ynvNzW.jpg

YU2m59Q.jpg

had a real task of keeping them windows nice and straight. 

C5yHQa1.jpg

5xT0gNT.jpg

8UP6Ub9.jpg

nearly there....

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/22/2018 at 9:42 PM, Skodadriver said:

That's magnificent. All your hard work is definitely starting to pay off.  Really looking forward to seeing the model finished.

thanks mate, appreciate it. lots of hard work but nearly there!

finally!....engines completed and ready to go on. The detail on the pylons proved quite intricate and I had to redo the paint job a few times. I also had to rebuild part of the exhaust as the resin came away (that was a nightmare) hence the time it has taken me to get these finished

pylons - revell 371 (satin light grey, same as wings) and humbrol 56 (aluminium) 

lip - xtreme metal chrome

fanblades - xtreme metal matt aluminium (close to steel)

exhaust - xtreme metal matt aluminium and humbrol 53 (gunmetal)

casing - tamiya TS18 metallic red

6gBLvm4.jpg

UNi7sOK.jpg

first 2 engines went on no problem (the inboard ones) but the outer ones not so good. 

Liajgnm.jpg

aX6Y5Qn.jpg

shYUrRa.jpg

not much to do now...

1. attach the horizontal stabilizers

2. there's at least 6 antennas that need fixed in place

3. a few minor decals for the underside

4. fix on display stand

Overall quite pleased with this one, its been arduous towards the end. hopefully RFI soon!

oKgkvbw.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

horizontal stabilizers are finally on, I hoped I'd get this finished today but ran out of time and the lighting was poor when i took the pictures. hopefully I'll get it mounted and on the RFI in the next day or two 

KPPGijP.jpg

2J9shPy.jpg

A91tkRc.jpg

tBts1oh.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Phil,

This is looking really good and sooo much longer than my -500!

Don't forget to paint the APU exhaust in the tailcone.

Cheers,

Ian

cheers Ian - i knew there was something I forgot to mention on the thread! wish I'd done that before chucking the stabs on!

phil

39 minutes ago, Mark said:

This is probably the finest A340-600 conversion I've seen! It's awesome!!!

thanks mark! I'm not sure about that mate but it's probably one of the best I've done so far - and the most enjoyable.

PS - i've just bought the book! looking forward to learning some new building/painting techniques instead of just learning by cocking up

Phil

• Haha 1

1353156-large.jpg

This image is not mine and is the copyright of Gary Lakin, who has posted it on Air-Britain. It is reproduced here for the reasons of silly schoolboy humour and will be removed if it offends or if the copyright holder wishes it not to be posted.

• Haha 3