As my Blenheim and Spitfires are nearing completion, it's time to start another kit (and I think there's time for two or three more after this one).

My intended victim is the KP Mustang III so here's the obligatory box-top and sprue shots:

20180725_122517

20180725_122529

Here's the profile:

20180725_122545

Following a discussion here:

I'll be painting the undersides in a light grey.

Thanks for looking, some in-progress photographs will follow shortly.

• Like 4

Right, made a start a few days ago and here's where it's got to.

I've painted the undercarriage legs and wheels with Tamiya Flat Aluminium and the doora and undercarriage bay with Humbrol Metalcote Aluminium, after they'd both had a base coat of Humbrol 33. The tyres are Colourcoats Tyre Black.

20180801_123937

The interior had a couple.of coats of Humbrol Interior Green, a dry-brush of light grey and a black goauch wash.

20180801_123937

It's my day-off today so I'm hoping I can get the airframe assembled before bedtime.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 1

I haven't done a lot on this lately because I've been doing other things. I have, however, got it ready for painting.

Here's a (poor) photograph of the cockpit bits:

2018-08-05_12-07-30

and the airframe ready for painting:

2018-08-05_12-06-55

Thanks for looking.

• Like 6

What dark earth do you use Beard? There seems to be two types, the dark brown or the light almost tan milk chocolate digestive colour which I think is more correct but my Humbrol is the dark chocolate type...you will be the man to ask..

nice cockpit too

50 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

What dark earth do you use Beard? There seems to be two types, the dark brown or the light almost tan milk chocolate digestive colour which I think is more correct but my Humbrol is the dark chocolate type...you will be the man to ask..

nice cockpit too

I'm not sure I'm actually the man to ask but, for what it's worth, I use the Humbrol enamel as I've always been under the impression it's a good match for the actual colour. I've also got a lot of Colourcoats Dark Earth bit haven't tried it yet.

There's some discussion here:

and here:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

nice cockpit too

I've yet to find a reference that supports for a light dark earth. There is a Light Earth, but that's not the paint used in Temperate Land Scheme.

That's not to say the reference doesn't exist - only that I've never seen it.

• Like 2

There may well have been some variation in the paint from different suppliers, but it is unlikely to have been that dramatic.  However Dark Earth faded pretty quickly, so a lot of photos do show a lighter colour.  For deliveries to the UK, the US used two different paints, one of which was considerably darker than the other.  (Plus Sand, sometimes, but I'm not referring to that.)

it has also been said that paints supplied from Middle East and Indian sources were considerably darker.  There is at least one well-used photo of a flight of Hurricanes with two different shades on the same aircraft - perhaps well faded vs fresh or local paint?  The RAAF colour was also darker than the UK one, apparently because of the fading problem.  For these reasons, for an Italy-based P-51 I'd be included to use the standard Dark Earth, unless it was meant to be very well used.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

How do you like the KP kit so far?

It goes together easily enough, although I keep knocking the flaps off!

Mind you, the only other P-51 I've built is the newer Airfix D so I'm no expert.

• Thanks 1

Busy day off today so not modelling done, spent three hours at the BoB museum in Hawkinge and managed to avoid buying anything in the gift shop (although I was sorely tempted).

Anyway, got a second coat of Colourcoats Dark Green on:

20180815_213727

and started masking for the yellow Id stripes:

20180815_214625

Thanks for looking.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...