***Finished*** Airfix lightning f2a

Struggling for mojo not working on any of the four current builds on the bench, decided to start this, actually helped give so mojo back for them, over did the wing cutting on one which I’m sure will be pain to fix and also idioticly cut the tail off forgetting I’m doing an f3 not an f1 

28848815207_3311bdb74f_b.jpg

Struggling for mojo not working on any of the four current builds on the bench, decided to start this, actually helped give so mojo back for them, over did the wing cutting on one which I’m sure will be pain to fix and also idioticly cut the tail off forgetting I’m doing an f3 not an f1 

28848815207_3311bdb74f_b.jpg

• Like 1

Me, I'd plump for 111 sqn finish a/ 'cause I like it & b/ 'cause everyone does the Firebird's one, not that there's anything wrong with that, I just like yellow/black better than red/white.

BTW, its an Alley cat conversion not Freightdog, but you knew that I'm sure. :) 

Steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally I dug the mask out and did some sanding (probably should use that mask for all sanding now), turns out not as much was needed on that centre piece to get it to fit on, now just to fill the gas, resand and send it for it first coat of silver to see just how badly it looks before the sanding/spraying cycle goes on repeat. wait stratch that, must remember to mask the spine off first, I know from experience its much easier to mask it first than to mask and paint over the silver.  

44190520732_345f4f363d_b.jpg

44190520642_426f8220d8_b.jpg

also heres my rb66 that would have been entered had I not got it past the 25% when I remembered the kit included USAFE decals 

43522133574_803494dc62_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 3

On 8/28/2018 at 7:21 AM, Jabba said:

Coming together well. Just a thought, it maybe better to paint the spine first, then mask it and then spray the silver.

Maybe, though done it both ways as well as the wrong way, and might be a false perception but seemed slightly better, anyway it’s in the sanding/masking poop. 3rd session of sanding the silver so far. 

43630877384_5f2a8eb791_b.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/30/2018 at 3:59 PM, Col. said:

Keep at it Stu. Silver is an unforgiving paint but looks great eventually.

Indeed, must be a glutton for it as I’ve now a mustang that will join it by the time the next sanding session is done, and a italeri b58 that’s screaming to be my next ‘personal’ (ie non group) build as I’ve almost done the rb66

Edited by PhantomBigStu

• 2 weeks later...

Well probably because of the booze I was a complete retard and brought another lightning, forgetting that none of the f2a or f6 schemes done by airfix or xtradecal are eligible for this GB, so this will become a normal WIP, but as a bonus I received a Hasegawa Lightning II this morning. so it will be adouble feature 

• Like 1