first airbrush

SA80A2AR

ok.  ive got an the aibrush that ive been hankering after for ages.  will whit spirits do for cleaning it out and thinning the paints.  what ratio shal i thin with?  BTW the first ting i'mgoing touse itonis the1/48 aifix defiant.

If you're using enamels then white spirits will work great for cleaning. It will work for thinning but it won't make your learning curve shallower. A good enamel thinner will make life that bit easier for thinning and you can still use the white spirit for cheaper cleanup :)

For thinning ratios, that depends much on what pressure you're spraying at (i.e. does your compressor have a pressure regulator so you can control the delivery pressure?) and the size of the needle and nozzle for your airbrush. I shall refrain from any rules of thumb without knowing these two. Some say things like "consistency of milk" to which I'd politely observe that I find paint works better thinned nothing like milk from any animal I am aware of!

Airbrushing is easy enough, but when knew to it there are lots of variables which can screw you up and it takes a lot of trial and error without anyone to help with specifics. The pressure and needle/nozzle size are very important though :)

• Like 1