Phantom Pholks needed - Zoukei Mura F-4 Conversion Potential?

Nocoolname

Hi Phantom Pholks!

I'm hoping someone might be able to enlighten me on whether there are any key differences between the F-4C/D and the Long Nosed Phantoms other than the obvious - nose and cockpit? Given that a) there's no sign of ZM's Long Nosed Phantoms anytime soon and b) my lack of patience I was thinking of splicing the nose from my Hasegawa F-4G to a ZM F-4D to make a better Wild Weasel. I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Cheers

The very first long nose F-4E's were converted earlier F-4s (F-4C 63-7445, F-4D 65-0713) so a long nose spliced to a ZM Phantom would work, along with J79-GE-17 long petal nozzles. The hydraulic wing folds were removed along with the Ram Air Turbine on the port upper intake. Otherwise the airframes model wise are identical.

The slatted wing used on all F-4Gs would also need to be factored in to your project.

They were all FY69 aircraft, which means they all had the belly re-inforcing strap.

• Like 1

The aft fuselage was different on the F-4s with the J79-GE-17 engines. The natural metal area where the fuselage met the afterburner nozzles was shorter. Only Z-M addresses this difference in 1/48. They supply different parts to use with the different afterburner nozzles. You'll need to cut down Parts J1 and J2 or source the same parts from the F-4J/S kits. 

If I may offer my opinion (feel free to tell me to shut up and go away! 😁), the Hasegawa F-4s are actually very good, shape-wise. They got the aft fuselage shape right, while Z-M missed the mark, there. If you add the aftermarket cockpit of your choice, intakes (several vendors offer them), and possibly afterburner nozzles, you'll have a model that's just as detailed as a Z-M Phantom. 

Cheers!

Ben 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2018 at 5:55 AM, jpk said:

Also, Jeffrey at Hypersonic is working on correction parts for the rear of the ZM fuselage. The test photos look promising, if that is an issue with you. 

That’s going to have to be some massive pieces of resin

• 2 weeks later...