25 Years ago today

Hard to believe but its been 25 years to the day since the Mig-29 crash at IAT Fairford. I still have vivid memories of that day as it was my first visit to Fairford. 

I've been wanting to make a model of one of the Migs for years but never quite got around to it. I figured the 25th anniversary would motivate me to build it.

The kit is the Zvezda 1/72 Mig-29S with decals from the Hasegawa special. The yellow, blue and black were all masked and sprayed as the Hasegawa markings didn't fit the Zvezda kit. The build went together really easily and my only complaint about the finished model is that it seems to sit far too 'nose up'. Some surgery is needed on the front u/c leg I feel.

The biggest challenge was the heat, its too hot to spend any extended time modelling at the moment.

As i only finished this yesterday I only had time to take a couple of photos outside. I'll do some 'studio' photos when its a bit cooler!

For added symmetry the base its on is one I made 25 years ago out of an old cornflakes packet!

180724 Mig29 1

180724 Mig29 2

180724 Mig29 3

Any comments or questions welcome

John

Edited by JE5TAR
  • Like 20

John, that’s a fitting tribute to one of life’s tragic Airshow events. I’m no modern sharp nose aircraft guru, however to my eye this whole package has been captured wonderfully well. I hope you still don’t have those 25 year old Corn Flakes still siting in the cupboard though!! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Nice work on a difficult scheme. 

I saw it, amazed that nobody was injured in the crash. I did read that one pilot did suffer in what was described as an unconventional debriefing. 

Pete

Edited by Buzby061

Excellent work there!

I wasn't overly familiar with the disaster, so I searched for some footage - incredible that no one was killed!!

Anyway, you certainly nailed the bright yellow scheme.

:goodjob:

I was there and captured the event on my own camcorder. I will put my original footage up onto you tube someday. It's similar to what the BBC shot although, being Video 8, it's not as sharp.

Yep, my wife and I were there too. We couldn't believe what unfolded right in front of us, or how quickly various military helicopter pilots scrambled to get airborne.

Tragically, her only other airshow was on the 22nd August 2015 at Shoreham, my birthday. She won't go to another.

Sorry to hijack your thread Jet5tar, but I love your model of my favourite Soviet fighter! It is/was a striking colour scheme.

14 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

I was there and captured the event on my own camcorder.

I was there too - & ran out of film in my pre-digital SLR just before they hit each other! Can't believe it was 25 years ago....

Beautiful little Mig John, really nicely finished!

Keith

25 years ago already? Blimey that makes me feel old! I went to the show the day after and remember stopping at a petrol station on the way there, one of the newspapers had a shot of someone leaning against a farm gate with a pilotless flaming Fulcrum heading towards them!

Thankfully it all worked out in the end!

Great build and a great trip down memory lane 

Can still remember one of the pilot lighting a cigarette just after he touched the ground in his chute ! ( Anatoly Kvotchur ?)

I also noticed that they must have had some kind of viril debriefing… what I can understand !

One of our C-130 was damaged by debris . A miracle there were no victims !

Nice little kit !

Madcop

• Like 1

Thanks for the positive comments.

I remember about the pilot having a ciggy after parachuting down. I was tempted to do a before shot with the plane and an after shot with just the pilot figure on a grass base :)

I was in the static park at the time photographing a Tornado F3 so I only had a wide angle lens on my camera. I did get a couple of shots but the plane was just a tiny speck.

I also remember that many people assumed the show would be over after that and started to leave, which the organizers weren't ready for. This coupled with some of the exits being blocked mean that I didn't get home til 2am