Scribing small access panel 1/48

LaurieS

Present model a GR3 Harrier has raised panel lines which I am removing. Replacing is going OK plus adding blind rivet lines.

There are numerous access panels. Trying to keep as many of these as possible. However I am going to have to replace some

as they are rubbed out partially with seam repairs.

Question and help. I have stainless steel templates that is not a problem.

It is the technique for scribing the shape in the template is the difficulty. I have four different scribers (well you have to) plus two Flexifile needles.
The Flexi File seems to be the only optional. Tried both the fine and medium needles (held in a whasis name vice).

Get a recess but not a very nice clean one that I get using the Tamiya scriber. Any advice received with great thanks.

Also any advice and technique for scribing the rivets in the access panel.

Laurie

14 hours ago, LaurieS said:

It is the technique for scribing the shape in the template is the difficulty. I have four different scribers (well you have to) plus two Flexifile needles.

The Flexi File seems to be the only optional. Tried both the fine and medium needles (held in a whasis name vice).

Get a recess but not a very nice clean one that I get using the Tamiya scriber. Any advice received with great thanks.

Also any advice and technique for scribing the rivets in the access panel.

Laurie

Hi Laurie,

all I can suggest is:-

1. Make sure the template is secure on the fuselage then lightly run the scriber of choice around the template,

multiple times, let the scriber do the work rather than pressure.

2. You'll need to lightly abrade the area around the panel OR use liquid adhesive sparingly over the top, or both,

this will reduce the peaks and troughs. NB Beware of Tamiya extra thin, it's rather 'hot'!

3. New tool! Get one of Radu's riveting tools or a 'Rosie the riveter' or a good old fashioned ponce (pounce) wheel.

HTH

Paul

14 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Hi Laurie,

all I can suggest is:-

1. Make sure the template is secure on the fuselage then lightly run the scriber of choice around the template,

multiple times, let the scriber do the work rather than pressure.

2. You'll need to lightly abrade the area around the panel OR use liquid adhesive sparingly over the top, or both,

this will reduce the peaks and troughs. NB Beware of Tamiya extra thin, it's rather 'hot'!

3. New tool! Get one of Radu's riveting tools or a 'Rosie the riveter' or a good old fashioned ponce (pounce) wheel.

HTH

Paul

Thanks very much for the info and your time Paul.

On the Rosie this is interesting. I tried to obtain the original Rosie. The story I got was that the orignal character who produced

Rosie had shut down and another had taken up production I think in the USA.

However I also found that the new Rosie was using RB Productions wheel which looking at the picture I saw at the time was

identical to the RB Productions effort.

The original Rosie had rounded teeth. The RB productions is more like a dash. Not bad but the original Rosie was the real thing.

Can you check to see if the disc is an original Rosie or the RB Productions Model. If the original I am all for getting one.

Thanks Laurie

Hi Laurie,

mine's nowt so posh, 'cos i'm a tight fist, mine's Chinese!

HM Hobbies are showing stock of the original 'Rosie the riveter'......as of five minutes ago!

Production seems to have switched to the U.S. main stockist seem to be UMM-USA.

For further information Google 'Rosie the riveter' there's even 'You Tube' videos,

that should waste at least ten minutes of your day!

Paul

3 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Hi Laurie,

mine's nowt so posh, 'cos i'm a tight fist, mine's Chinese!

HM Hobbies are showing stock of the original 'Rosie the riveter'......as of five minutes ago!

Production seems to have switched to the U.S. main stockist seem to be UMM-USA.

For further information Google 'Rosie the riveter' there's even 'You Tube' videos,

that should waste at least ten minutes of your day!

Paul

Had a look Paul. It actually says in the blurb that the wheels are stainless steel made by RB Productions.

Regret they are just like RB Productions own product and not a real Rosie original which they are cheating

by calling it so. But RB type are not bad. Their product.  You can change the wheels as they are held in position

by a nut and screw. They do a large size and a small size to get into awkward places.

http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=77_110

Worth a look at their products they have seduced me to part with some of my beer money.

Thanks Paul