Spitfire Mk1a

Hey guys n gals

Here is my take on the Airfix 1/72 model- and what a great little kit it was- I had real good fun making this 

Now then a couple of things about this model- firstly yes I know the panel lines are deep but I think they're great!! Especially at this scale I just think it makes it all pop out a bit more and as I'm modelling for fun rather than historical accuracy it suits me down to the ground- secondly yes I know I've super weathered parts of it- could these aircraft have become so weathered? I'm not sure but it was great fun! Perhaps someone could help me out on that? I loved it and just got carried away in the moment and I hope that some of you will just enjoy it as much as I do- and finally unfortunately for me I don't have quite as much joy working with (very) small decals as ones eyes are not quite as sharp as they used to be regardless as to whether I'm wearing my glasses or not- they're just really difficult for me to deal with and so for that reason I decided to leave the small stuff off but personally I don't think this detracts from its appearance

Anyway I hope you enjoy and any comments are most welcome

many thanks for looking

Craig

Spitfire Mk1a

Spitfire Mk1a

Spitfire Mk1a

Spitfire Mk1a

Spitfire Mk1a

Spitfire Mk1a

Spitfire Mk1a

• Like 22

4 hours ago, WildeSau75 said:

Great build and top presentation. What a beautiful airplane she is the Spitfire - and you did it justice.

Cheers,

Michael

Wow thanks Michael I really appreciate those comments 👍🏽

4 hours ago, Duckwizard said:

Really very nice. Did you build gear up or is this photoshop on the pictures?

Yes, every Spitfire is a beautiful airplane.

Hi Duckwizard thanks for your comments- I build all my aeroplanes with landing gear up- I think they look better appearing to do what they should be doing- I have these great little perspex stands which are ideal for 1/72 scale and I just photoshopped it out when I was happy with my pictures 

I've just started tamiyas huge 1/48 Lancaster which will also be built with landing gear up 👍🏽

• Thanks 1

Looks really good to me - though I have not done any in-flight model configurations myself, I really like the look.

As for panel lines, I'm rather like you - they can be emphasised to whatever degree the builder desires - from nothing up to very dark and contrasting lines.

Your weathering and finishing is very nice.

:goodjob:

26 minutes ago, kapam said:

Looks really good to me - though I have not done any in-flight model configurations myself, I really like the look.

As for panel lines, I'm rather like you - they can be emphasised to whatever degree the builder desires - from nothing up to very dark and contrasting lines.

Your weathering and finishing is very nice.

:goodjob:

Thanks for those comments Kapam- I think planes look great doing what they should be doing- flying- so as they don't really fly the presentation of making them look a bit more like they fly is just as enjoyable for me- I'm trying to source some tiny motors for a 1/48 Lancaster I'm starting for that extra authenticity 👍🏽

16 minutes ago, tomthounaojam said:

Great Spitfire!!! and Yeah modeling should be fun, cheers

Thanks tomthounaojam I try not to get too serious with my models and as long as I can present my work well enough and others enjoy them then that'll do for me 👍🏽👍🏽

8 hours ago, Pandoa said:

... I think they look better appearing to do what they should be doing ...

You are totally right and I would do same if there wasn't the "not turning prop problem". I know there are some solutions, but none did convince me so far.

I am very curious about the lancaster. :) Have fun!

2 hours ago, Duckwizard said:

You are totally right and I would do same if there wasn't the "not turning prop problem". I know there are some solutions, but none did convince me so far.

I am very curious about the lancaster. :) Have fun!

I will keep you updated re the lanc- I hopefully have some (cheap) parts heading my way from the far away shores of China........ 😀👍🏽

26 minutes ago, goose said:

Top notch, I do like the overall finish and how it's displayed 

Thanks goose very humbling- I try to get a good final presentation for the viewer- I took photographs using natural light in the garden and the Spitfire is in front of a large sheet of grey paper and all I did was photoshop the perspex stand out and added a nostalgic filter to perhaps take the viewer back some years--I'm glad you enjoyed it 😀👍🏽

32 minutes ago, russ c said:

Nicely weathered Spitfire there, looks great

Thanks russ c the model already has deep panel lines and I couldn't resist bringing the depth out and giving it a good heavy weather- perhaps the heavy weathering comes from my previous modelling time as an afv modeller where I just loved mucky and weathered equipment 👍🏽

I think it looks excellent. The paintwork and markings are nicely battered and th background looks just like the sky over the UK, most of the time.

My one criticism is the aerial, I think it's too thick - fine invisible thread (if you can find it), stretched sprue or fine Lycra thread would look more in-scale. 

Mind you, I rarely bother with aerials as I'm too lazy.

• Haha 1

Excellent post Beard much appreciated and yeah I agree with you about the background looking like the uk skies- I'm very happy with the result

As for the Ariel I totally agree with you however the more I look the more I kinda like it- it is actually stretched sprue and I clearly haven't stretched it enough but to be honest if I'm not careful I could quite easily end up forgetting to do it all together!😯

I did actually start photographing it and then realised I hadn't put the tail wheel in place!!!😊

• Like 1